Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Issue with the 2005-2007 Mustang 3V Spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 03:10 PM
lil_sixer
2nd Gear Member

Wink Issue with the 2005-2007 Mustang 3V Spark plugs?

Hey, I own a 2007 Mustang GT and its about to hit 60,000 Miles,I am planning on doing a coolant flush,transmission fluid flush,gear fluid,changing out spark plugs and wires. You think this sounds good for maintenance?
I have heard that the spark plugs are total s#^t and they tend to break off very easily.I heard about stories where they took it to Ford to change the plugs and the dealer mechanic breaks it and you have to pay for fixing it, and that is total BS!
Ford has to step it up and do it right!
I thought the sparkplugs were good for 100K but I am going to go ahead and change it just to be in the safe part.Is there any precautions I should take?
Thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/mustang-ts...V-6.8L-3V.html
Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lil_sixer
changing out spark plugs
you have a good plan overall, follow the procedure Nuke linked for the
plugs and hopefully everything will turn out fine. also, there are "how to's"
for everything you are planning to do, so look for those for reference
and tips.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:39 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Looks like it may be easier replacing the whole cylinder head.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Don't scare him like that. Not funny.

If I were you I would not do it myself.
Take it to a dealership who is AWARE of this problem and HAS DONE IT MANY TIMES.
You may end up paying 200-300 bucks for it all together but it is alot better
than if you don't know what you are doing and end up having to pay a grand because of multiple plugs breaking off into the head.

You need to take it to someone with EXPERIENCE ON THIS ISSUE and someone you TRUST.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:00 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I changed mine at 20k miles. I followed the tsb and all came out. I let em soak for a good hour with tb cleaner beforehand and it still took the torque wrench at 55 lbs to crack em free. I was nervous but it all worked out.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:29 PM
lil_sixer
2nd Gear Member

Yea thanks for the tip guys but yea i dont think im gonig to do the spark plugs,im going to let someone else who know what thhey are doing do it, but seriously isnt it bull that Ford charges us if Ford mechanic breaks the spark plug and spark plugs are rated for 100k?!?!?!!?!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:11 PM
DrDeaths01GT
2nd Gear Member

Question

Not to jack the thread but this is some useful info. I have a 07 with 19000 miles and mabye i need to do this,my question is what keeps them from getting seized in there again? And is there a better set of plugs to install after the old ones are out?
Old 12-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by DrDeaths01GT
Not to jack the thread but this is some useful info. I have a 07 with 19000 miles and mabye i need to do this,my question is what keeps them from getting seized in there again? And is there a better set of plugs to install after the old ones are out?
Read the TSB on it.
It explains it.
you can use antisieze on the plugs but you need to know where to put them.
You can also buy Champion one piece plugs and I think Brisk makes one too.

The Autolite HT1's are designed different to
come out easier but they are not one piece.

P.S. you need to find out when your 2007 was built.
They re designed the cylinder head in 07 sometime (not sure when exactly) so that this problem
would no longer exist.
So if you read the TSB you can find out if this is even needed for you.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 12-16-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:25 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Didn't feel like starting another thread for this issue, but I wanted to share my experience...

I just changed my plugs today at 55,000 miles because I'm about to install a Paxton next weekend. I bought the Lisle broken plug removal tool but fortunately I didn't need. it. The key I think is patience and persistence. After removing the COPs and blew all the crap out of the well. The TSB didn't say anything about using the penetrating oil before breaking the plugs, and I doubt it did anything but I decided to give them a spray and let them sit for about a half hour at first anyway.

I broke all the plugs about a 1/4 turn and proceeded to add some extra penetrating oil to the well and let them sit for a good hour. Here's where you have to use your best judgement... All but 6 of them came out and didn't require a ton of torque, but they did squeal like a bitch. On that note, I've come to the conclusion that as long as they're creaking it's good because the sleeve hasn't come off.

Two of them were a major bitch and felt really tight. When I got to that point on those plugs, I backed them down about a 1/4 turn and let them sit for about another half hour. After that they were still a little tight but much easier and came out with a whole bunch of creaking.

Quick Reply: Issue with the 2005-2007 Mustang 3V Spark plugs?