Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

need some exaust help please..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:38 PM
rebel_logan

Default need some exaust help please..

well i have a 2007 gt 5 speed with a few light mods.. nothing major intake tune and exaust... the dealership told me when i bought the car that it had an offroad x pipe and borla axle backs... and thats what was throwing a CEL.. so i had them write up and sign something saying that it was due to the exaust that was installed from the previous owner that was throwing the code... just so it couldnt ever hurt me.. anyways i dont think thats what it is so i took it to Car FX out of tulsa ok not too far from me and without looking under the car the guy told me he thinks it could be an offroad x pipe but difinatly flowmasters.. so i crawled under there and it was flowmasters but y would flowmaster and an offroad x pipe throw a CEl wouldnt it have to have headers?
sorry its long lol thanks for anyone who acctually reads this lol
Old 01-06-2011, 12:54 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

off road x pipe means there are no cats on there.
so without a tune to turn off your rear O2 sensors you will have a CEL
you will need to get a tuner, with a tune that turns off the rear O2 sensors
and you'll be good to go.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:55 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

contact american muscle, VMP, brenspeed for a tune/tuner
first you should find out what the code is exactly.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
off road x pipe means there are no cats on there.
so without a tune to turn off your rear O2 sensors you will have a CEL
you will need to get a tuner, with a tune that turns off the rear O2 sensors
and you'll be good to go.
Egg-zactly. (and "Ditto", too)
Old 01-07-2011, 01:49 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I bet the original owner also had a cai and tune on the car but removed them, put it back to stock and sold it. Of course with Offroad mids it gonna throw a code.

No biggie, get a tune for it and youll have more power and no cel.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

/\/\

What they all said! You say you have "tune" on the car in your mods. If it from a SCT Xcal 3 or something like that? Or did just the place you bought it from say it had one?
Old 01-08-2011, 11:04 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by rebel_logan
well i have a 2007 gt 5 speed with a few light mods.. nothing major intake tune and exaust... the dealership told me when i bought the car that it had an offroad x pipe and borla axle backs... and thats what was throwing a CEL.. so i had them write up and sign something saying that it was due to the exaust that was installed from the previous owner that was throwing the code... just so it couldnt ever hurt me.. anyways i dont think thats what it is so i took it to Car FX out of tulsa ok not too far from me and without looking under the car the guy told me he thinks it could be an offroad x pipe but difinatly flowmasters.. so i crawled under there and it was flowmasters but y would flowmaster and an offroad x pipe throw a CEl wouldnt it have to have headers?
sorry its long lol thanks for anyone who acctually reads this lol

I know there is a plug in module that you can buy. It is a small part that plugs in where your X pipes are placed. It tricks the computer into thinking you have cats. I had the same issue and when i took off my cats as well. After I used the module, the issue was rectified at a very low cost and even a dumb *** like me could install it. Just make sure your car is cold when installing it or you will burn yourself because of the hot exhaust pipes. And the car has to be hoisted up for you to reach in and plug both ends in. I wish i knew what the part was called, but it was a long ago and that car was long totaled. This is a much cheaper method if you don't want to spend the money on a tuner. I will try to find you a link my friend.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What does gaining 20-25 RWHP have to do with saving money? You bought a Stang just for it to look good?

You need to resolve your CEL. You can either cheap-out and spend money on something that'll turn the CEL off but gain you nothing or you can get a tune, turn off the CEL and turn on a perpetual smile on your face. The tune does more than add RWHP, too. It improves throttle response and, if its an auto, improves shift points. Not to mention being able to adjust for tire size and gear changes and a few other things that some shop would charge you an arm and a leg to do.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:28 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Nuke
What does gaining 20-25 RWHP have to do with saving money? You bought a Stang just for it to look good?

You need to resolve your CEL. You can either cheap-out and spend money on something that'll turn the CEL off but gain you nothing or you can get a tune, turn off the CEL and turn on a perpetual smile on your face. The tune does more than add RWHP, too. It improves throttle response and, if its an auto, improves shift points. Not to mention being able to adjust for tire size and gear changes and a few other things that some shop would charge you an arm and a leg to do.
I definitely agree with getting a tuner because it allows you manipulate Ford's conservative settings. I prefer dealiing with American muscle because they give you custom tunes depending on what you had done to your vehicle, and they give you tunes forever if you purchase their SCT models. My previous comment was targeted to those who are on a budget and don't have the disposable income. But if one has the dough, then do it right the first time and purchase the tuner instead of doing everything twice. Plus it can take off check engine lights should some other ****t come up.