Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Performance w/ Tune Only?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 05:42 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Default Performance w/ Tune Only?

I'm thinking about getting a Bama tune or a local dyno tune on my stock '06. Are the performance gains worthwhile with a tune on a completely stock car (manual trans)? I know most people go with CAI, but I really don't like the looks of them (except for maybe the FRPP one) and I don't like the oil and gauze filters (ran them for a long time, but have since realized they have "issues" - but that's another story).

Anyway, just wondering if I'd really notice the difference on a stock 3V with a manual transmission or if it would be something where I'd have to try hard to notice (to justify the expense).

I'm also wondering if I'd have to go to a tune based on premium gas to get a worthwhile improvement or if the 87 octane tunes are nearly as good.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:00 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

If you're not going to get a CAI or any other mods that require a tune then I would say save your money on the performance tune if they charge you more then the tuner itself. For example an SCT SF3 sells for $379.99 some place free shipping, if you can get one with a performance tune loaded in to it then go ahead, if they charge you more then that for them then you can just get the tuner and upload the SCT tune.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:15 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I just got done e-mailing STEEDA about that very thing on my '11 GT/CS. My thoughts were that the CAI's don't pull pure cold air as there are openings around them plus the looks....

STEEDAs reply...(this was for my 2011 GT) ... "Hi there. We can do a tune for the stock intake system no problem. Our SCT tuner for that application would run 389.95. Average tuning gains alone run around 25 horsepower." This is the direct line to the man that gave me the answers... gus@steeda.com .

He also talked about intake air temps with both intakes and such. Good info.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

It seems like the going rate for an SCT unit is $379 and that comes with the tune, so really if I wanted a tuner, I get free tunes out of it anyway.

Interesting info from Steeda. Maybe I'll have to ask them about the 4.6. I know the 5.0 is supposed to flow pretty well stock, so it makes sense that you can get by without a CAI. 25 hp is still impressive forq just a tune. I'd be happy with 15-20 for the 4.6.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:28 PM
5POINTOH
2nd Gear Member

Why not consider getting the FRPP CAI and the SCT tuner from AM? Free tunes for life!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A stand alone custom tune will gain you 15-20 RWHP vs a CAI & tune gaining 20-25.

An 87 custom tune will run circles around the stock 87 tune. Order from Brenspeed or AM. The canned tunes are lame. You'll get 3 tunes and the higher octane tunes will slightly increase RWHP but have differnet power band characteristics, Best to try them all and pick which one suits your driving style. I run an 89 Brenspeed tune about 99% of the time.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:18 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
A stand alone custom tune will gain you 15-20 RWHP vs a CAI & tune gaining 20-25.

An 87 custom tune will run circles around the stock 87 tune. Order from Brenspeed or AM. The canned tunes are lame. You'll get 3 tunes and the higher octane tunes will slightly increase RWHP but have differnet power band characteristics, Best to try them all and pick which one suits your driving style. I run an 89 Brenspeed tune about 99% of the time.
Hey Nuke, I know you get asked this a million times. But what do you mean by canned tunes ? Is there a significant difference between 91 tune vs 89 tune ? Finally, why do you like performance tune as oppose to race tune ? Thanks in advance
Old 02-05-2011, 09:41 AM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5POINTOH
Why not consider getting the FRPP CAI and the SCT tuner from AM? Free tunes for life!
If I were to get a CAI, that's exactly what I'd do, but I'd prefer to not get a CAI.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:47 AM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke

For a 15-20 hp increase, the tune only sounds like a good option. Is that on 87 octane? I definitely wouldn't want a canned tune. Would go with a custom from AM or Brenspeed (leaning towards AM). I could also do a dyno tune for even cheaper than the custom tunes from AM, but I like the idea of being able to try out the different tunes and octanes to find the one that suits my driving characteristics. The only bad part of the dyno tune is I'd have to live with whatever they give me.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:13 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

According to Bama and Brenspeed, the difference in hp from an 87 tune to a 93 tune on a stock car is about 10! Sounds like a 87 tune only on a stock enginer nets about 10 hp and a 93 nets 20 or so. Seems like a worthwhile way to spend an extra $0.20/gal!

Quick Reply: Performance w/ Tune Only?