Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Quick question about running lean

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Power-House

Default Quick question about running lean

Hello everyone, just wondering, is it possible to run lean, even if you have a tuner chip? Will your engine light come on if you are running lean? Just wondering. Thanks
Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

You can run lean by having a tune that is correct. A check engine light will come on if the o2's will consistently read lean, if you're only running lead under full load at higher RPMS you may not trigger a CEL but you can detonate and grenade your engine.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Nobody here runs a "tuner chip". We have tunes written (mostly by very competent companies) specific for our mods and PCM which can be tailored to suit your needs and issues. Check out the Brenspeed and American Muscle websites.

Are you experiencing a specific problem? Lean issues can be easily rectified.

Last edited by Nuke; 05-03-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:16 AM
Power-House

Originally Posted by Nuke
Nobody here runs a "tuner chip". We have tunes written (mostly by very competent companies) specific for our mods and PCM which can be tailored to suit your needs and issues. Check out the Brenspeed and American Muscle websites.

Are you experiencing a specific problem? Lean issues can be easily rectified.

Sorry nuke, by tuner chip I mean i'm running a sct 91 octane race tune from bama. I just thought it was called tuner chip, and no i'm not having a problem it's just recently I have been putting alot of parts on my car like bolt on's and people say when you run lean it's hard to tell. I just wanted to know if there was a way to indicate if my car was running lean. I know I should start putting this in my sig but i always forget, my mods are sct programmer cai slp loud mouth slp catted x udp and delete plates.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Typically, a lean condition will throw a CEL such as when guys run a tune-required CAI without a tune. Although, you can run borderline w/o throwing a CEL. I believe you can datalog it with the handheld but I haven't done that so I'm no help there.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Power-House

How long does it take a lean engine to blow up?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

That's like asking "If I eat fatty pork every day, when will I die."

I don't now anyone that has intentionally timed how long it took to grenade their engine and nobody to my knowledge that's running a vendor-provided non-OE tune (which is about 68% of the forum; I did a poll) has reported damage.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Power-House

[QUOTE=Nuke;7533050]That's like asking "If I eat fatty pork every day, when will I die."

Lol Sorry about that, I'm new to this stuff and I'm just getting nervous and being extra cautious about screwing something up, biggest fear is blowing my engine from something stupid like running lean. Thanks for your time and replies guys.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Power-House;7533424...
Lol Sorry about that, I'm new to this stuff and I'm just getting nervous and being extra cautious about screwing something up, biggest fear is blowing my engine from something stupid like running lean...
No sweat. We all care intensly about our rides.

Custom tunes from Brenspeed and AM (Bama) are noted as being quite safe. Many folks here have been running their tunes on the order of 50k-100k miles or more with not ill effects.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Power-House

I'm running a bama tune so i'm hoping that i'm safe for now. Hoping it stays like that. Thanks for your concern and replies. Really appreciated.

Quick Reply: Quick question about running lean