Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Kenne Bell Valet mode?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:27 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default Kenne Bell Valet mode?

I know this may sound as if I have been living under a rock.. but I just found out about Kenne Bell having a "valet" mode (no boost!).

I was wondering if I could drive through the entire winter with it on Valet mode, or would that be too excessive?

I am in the market for a new supercharger, but this valet mode really caught my attention

It would save me alot of trouble if I did'n't have boost all winter, and then just "turn it on" in the spring time!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:52 PM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

that would be VERY convenient, as im looking to get a KB and my Stang is an all year rounder
Old 06-13-2011, 11:55 PM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

I was gonna tell you not to let the valet touch it and that's the best valet mode but you threw me for a loop. Touche my good man
Old 06-14-2011, 12:03 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007bluestang
I was gonna tell you not to let the valet touch it and that's the best valet mode but you threw me for a loop. Touche my good man
lol damn valet dude doing burn outs in the parking lot in my GT

Anywho.. KB only does their own tunes and they CAN tune for CAMs etc. right?

I am also going to ask about a short ram intake, rather than the CAI stuffed down the front fender somewhere rofl
Old 06-14-2011, 01:57 AM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

So the Kenne Bell valet mode is "activated" via the bypass valve. In valet mode the vacuum switch that closes the bypass valve under load is not able to close the valve completely, thus preventing full boost. Here's a couple pics I grabbed from www.kennebell.com:

You can see here where the valve is

In this one you can see the black circular vacuum switch that has the straight plastic arm that actuates the bypass valve. That plastic arm gets attached to the bypass valve at a different spot and the valet mode is "activated". No re-tuning is required either. The valve only closes enough for 1-2 PSI of boost to be available max. I've verified this myself (just to see how it worked )

As for the tuning, Kenne Bell ONLY tunes for stock throttle body, stock exhaust manifolds etc. Since I wanted to use my BBK throttle body I had previously and have long tubes they referred me to Blow By Racing for a tune. They adjusted the price of my package accordingly (also since I had a SCT X3 already). Blow By Racing did a great job on the tune too, my 'Stang pulls great (and soon I'll have a wideband to comment on how my AFR is).

Good luck with an intake, Kenne Bell prides themselves on their "true" cold air intake, and for the most part I agree with their logic completely. I don't see any problem with how mine is sitting unless I was going to be submerging my car in 2+ feet of water.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:04 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

That's a very cool feature I am surprised I did not catch onto a lot sooner.

I need a short ram intake because of the snow(up to 18-20inches.. yes, I have driven her through that much snow up here rofl) and then break up season with giant POOLS of water.

I know I must be crazy for even owning a Mustang up here, let alone driving a heavily modded one throughout winter

That Valet mode would sure be a great option for me during the winter.

hmmmm... I'll have to contact BBR about custom tunes because I am also planning on getting Brenspeed Detroit Rocker supercharged grind cams along with the KB, possibly an O/R H pipe without cats... fvck it.. I decided that if I do keep the Mustang, I am going all out lulz

Are you running 10 psi on your kit and is it a canned tune or dyno tune?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:41 AM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
That's a very cool feature I am surprised I did not catch onto a lot sooner.

I need a short ram intake because of the snow(up to 18-20inches.. yes, I have driven her through that much snow up here rofl) and then break up season with giant POOLS of water.

I know I must be crazy for even owning a Mustang up here, let alone driving a heavily modded one throughout winter

That Valet mode would sure be a great option for me during the winter.

hmmmm... I'll have to contact BBR about custom tunes because I am also planning on getting Brenspeed Detroit Rocker supercharged grind cams along with the KB, possibly an O/R H pipe without cats... fvck it.. I decided that if I do keep the Mustang, I am going all out lulz

Are you running 10 psi on your kit and is it a canned tune or dyno tune?
Ahh I gotcha, I'm sure you can get someone to fab something up for your intake

You might be a little crazy, but I too have lost my sanity long ago

I can't remember exactly how much they charged me for the tune, but I remember thinking it was reasonable. They even give me "free tunes for life". I'm running 10psi on my car, I would LOVE to have Detroit Rocker cams but I'm a little afraid that might push me into potentially unsafe power levels for stock bottom end (I'm already probably quite close). Oh and the tune I'm running is canned...I would LOVE to know what I'm actually pushing to my wheels right now...
Old 06-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

You're probably already nudging into the "danger zone" on the stock bottom end. I wouldn't push it any further.

The valet mode function is a piece of cake. Just a set screw you back out.

There are a few things I don't care for in this kit. It heat soaks badly for one so IATs get up there and stay there. It takes the most work of all the twinscrews to install. And the bumper needs to come off just to change the air filter out. Also, pay attention to the flexi-tubing part of the intake right where the edge of your fuse box is - it can wear into that thing. Someone on another forum mentioned that and sure enough mine was getting worn into pretty badly.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:33 PM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
You're probably already nudging into the "danger zone" on the stock bottom end. I wouldn't push it any further.

There are a few things I don't care for in this kit. It heat soaks badly for one so IATs get up there and stay there. It takes the most work of all the twinscrews to install. And the bumper needs to come off just to change the air filter out. Also, pay attention to the flexi-tubing part of the intake right where the edge of your fuse box is - it can wear into that thing. Someone on another forum mentioned that and sure enough mine was getting worn into pretty badly.
I know I'm just about that close to the "bad" power levels. I'm not planning on pushing it further.

Perhaps I didn't look at my bypass valve correctly because I could have sworn it was as I described earlier. Maybe yours is an earlier version of the blower?

I will second your saying it takes a lot of work to install, but that's half the fun in my book. I spent three eight-hour days over the course of a long weekend to install mine in my on-base auto hobby shop.

I thought I heard in some thread here recently that the filter was easily accessed without bumper removal...

Thanks for the tip on the flexi-tubing. I'll check mine out when I get home...just over a week now!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:46 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide

+1 on all the above.
Each blower setup has its advantages and disadvantages. Other that the heat-soak/higher IATs, I really dont have any issues with the KB, though.

The Valet mode has to be engaged, IIRC, with the engine running at idle so it pulls open the BPV and you can lock it open.

As far as tuning, any reputable tuner can provide a good tune. With all the mods with mine (cams, headers, etc), there was no way KB was going to custom tune that. Besides, a custom tune will be a better fit for YOUR car instead of for all similar cars.

Enjoy the blower!

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell Valet mode?