Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

torque converter ???????

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:12 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Default torque converter ???????

I have done some research on this on some of the forums so I have heard that TCI has had some problems. I hear the PI makes a good one. I talked to brenspeed and they run the TCI in all there cars and claim to not have had any problems plus the numerous ones they have sold to customers without failure. I guess with the few threads i have read about TCI and there bad reviews could that be b/c of some bad installs maybe on the owners part. The reasone why I like brenspeed as compared to the likes of AM is b/c they actually race the parts they use and they know first hand.

So I was just wondering what stall some of you are running and why.

Im looking to get a 3000. I have 438 to the wheels and need some help off the line to finally crack the 11's. I have MT's and LCA's. I think right now my biggest problem is the heat soak but come september I want to hit that 11 mark. I believe that the stall will get me there along with some cooler weather.

thanks guys
Old 07-06-2011, 03:37 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

IMHO TCI converters are junk!!! Get a PI multi-disk or a Circle D converter and you will not be sorry. If you don't want to spend that much then get one of the new ones from PTC.

Earl
Old 07-06-2011, 04:21 PM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

I have a PI and it works quite well at the track but the lockup is quite abrupt for around town driving. I bought a PTC to replace it.
Stall should be determined on quite a few things . Call the manufacturer and give them all the variables and they will tell you what the best stall is.
Don't forget to install a new hardened shaft and billet servo packs when you have it down.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ziperhead
Don't forget to install a new hardened shaft and billet servo packs when you have it down.
Can you point out where we can order these things? Part numbers? Anything?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:29 PM
streetyme
2nd Gear Member

I have a PTC convertor and love it... rated stall is 3200-3400, but flashes at 3800 . PI and Circle D convertors are Awesome too.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:55 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

thanks guys. My car is a DD so i have to keep it so that it is also streetable.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by streetyme
I have a PTC convertor and love it... rated stall is 3200-3400, but flashes at 3800 . PI and Circle D convertors are Awesome too.
Do you notice excessive slipping with the torque converter with day to day driving?

I want to get a high stall converter eventually, but thinking that during the winter it'll just spin the tires even worse
Old 07-07-2011, 01:05 PM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
Can you point out where we can order these things? Part numbers? Anything?
The parts are from TCI. I don't have the part numbers.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:31 PM
streetyme
2nd Gear Member

Stealth I did notice badd slippping when I had the factory 3.31's , but when I went to the 4.10's seemed to tighten everything up. It defintely shocks the tires alot easier... You would probably break your tires loose at will with the convertor and gears in the Alaskan winter....
Old 07-08-2011, 12:41 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by streetyme
Stealth I did notice badd slippping when I had the factory 3.31's , but when I went to the 4.10's seemed to tighten everything up. It defintely shocks the tires alot easier... You would probably break your tires loose at will with the convertor and gears in the Alaskan winter....
Luckily I have 4.10s already

3k might be too much so I might end up going with a 2800 stall instead.. hopefully that won't be too low. I'd hate to have to pull the tranny twice! lulz

You should make some videos of you launching that bad boy.. I really like those Magnacharger kits for our cars..

Quick Reply: torque converter ???????