Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 03:28 PM
mustangpt

Default Exhaust

I am looking to go improve from stock exhaust. I love the throaty sounds of the classic muscle car and would like any advice for which system might be the best to get that out of 2009 GT. Everything is stock as of right now, this will be the first modification. I have heard Borla is better. But I want that muscle car sound specifically....maybe one of the others is more precise for that?
Old 09-18-2011, 04:44 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

It really, truly depends on a variety of things. For example, you don't want to choose exhaust necessarily on the sound "right now" if you will do certain modifications. Mine had SLP loudmouths on it when I bought it. Sounded amazing, had a great rumble/old school sound to it. I put longtube headers on, an offroad x-pipe, and they sounded AWFUL. Had I bought them, that'd have been 340 dollars or so wasted because I had to change them immediately after the headers/offroad x-pipe. Just something to think about!

There are a lot of great sounding exhausts out there. Sorry to ask the obvious, but have you searched for different exhaust sounds on youtube? Great way to get an idea! They always sound different in person, but if you narrow it down to 3 or 4 that you are curious about, people will be able to help you much better! I have heard several that give a great muscle car rumble to varying degrees, and they all sound different at different rpms/with different modifications.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:59 PM
mustangpt

Yes, I have listened to them on youtube but as you said its hard to get the real sound from a recording and then through the computer. They all sound a little rice burner-ish to me. I really want that rumble/purr out of it and was hoping maybe someone had some experience with that.
Also, I don't want it to be obnoxiously loud as this is a "daily" driver in nice weather here in Ohio.
I do not plan on any major modifications to the engine at this time.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:08 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Well, again it's pretty hard to just give examples as there are a LOT of possible setups out there. If you've got a few in mind, people could much more easily tell you the characteristics of them.

Before I had the headers and x-pipe put on, my SLP's had a really good rumble to them. The videos I saw sounded like crap, but in person they sounded great, a nice tone, and when I stood on it, it screamed with a really throaty tone.

Now I have resonators behind the x-pipe, and Flowmaster 40 series coming out the back. It has a very VERY deep tone. Not loud, but extremely deep and a lot of bass to it. Before the resonators though, when I gave it any gas it was raspy, sounded ricey, and trumpeted like crazy. Resonators made it deep all the way through and I wouldn't change a thing now. It doesn't scream at WOT, it rumbles and has a great bass-ey roar. But a lot of people hate Flowmasters even with resonators absorbing the raspiness they are known for.

Personally I love the sound of Bassani's, Borla's, and Corsa's. Before I went with LT's and an offroad x-pipe, I was wanting to go with this...

http://youtu.be/lVI1D6AzzBg

To each their own though, hopefully other's chime in with their opinions/setups as well

Edit: Also, apologies if you don't care for the same things! Everyone kinda has a different ear for what sounds muscular and what sounds bad, sorry if I was of no help.

Last edited by OhEightGT; 09-18-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 PM
mustangpt

Not at all, any help is still help. I am actually just starting to look and trying to see what set ups are working for other GTs. I understand its all a personal thing but I need somewhere to begin my own decisions
Old 09-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

These 3V engines can't quite sound like their older relatives but there are enough combinations out there between H vs X, the various axlebacks, cams, even a good tune will change the exhaust note some.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Bassani Race axlebacks with catted x.
It's without a doubt the meanest sounding combos out there for the 3v and even better is that very few people have this setup so you will stand out.
It's also one of the highest qualitye xhausts you can get as well.
Forget the Flows, Borlas, Stingers, etc...everyone's got those and you'll just sound like the tens of thousands of other 3vs out there.

I went to Dallas Mustang for my gears and all day they were driving Stangs in and out...I knew exactly when they started my car.

Last edited by Ricardo; 09-19-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:58 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

^ the bassani does sound good, i have borlas on mine and they were too quiet(lol) for me so i went with the LTs and x with it but that was for performance reasons too not just for sound
Old 09-24-2011, 11:04 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

mustangpt, have you heard borla ataks? and dtmr, i was thinking about going with borla s types why do u think they were too quiet? in what sense?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Well I'm 21 and i like it really loud, vs everyone who's older then me and its like "ohh you'll get tired of it" i originally wanted SLPs but they didn't make a full cat bak exhaust and the borla ATAKS for 05-09 gt's are like $999 so i asked the guy at valley performance what kind exhaust he had (cuz it sounded amazing) and he said borla, but they turned out to be the bassanis (he also has a full exhaust though AND its twin charged) I had a 2006 v6 before and i loved the way the slp powerflo i had on it sounded. under normal driving conditions the borlas are pretty quiet on the outside you can hear them but they aren't like roaring. they sound the best when you give it extra gas like if you're ripping it or if your flooring it past someone. For regular driving though its like quiet headers and x pipe fix that right up though.

Quick Reply: Exhaust