Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

DONT KNOW WHERE TO START...PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:49 PM
secondgen420

Smile DONT KNOW WHERE TO START...PLEASE HELP

i have an 08 mustang gt 4.6l v8, manual transmission...everything is all stock except for cold air intake and full exhaust...im new to mustangs and just started working on my own vehicle..im going to school for car audio,custom uhpolstery,and custom fiberglassing...i will be fully fabricating my interior what i need help with is the performance...where do i start upgrading my mustang..(in about 4 years when warranty expire plan on adding roush supercharger) so please keep that in mind when you give me advice...dont want any add ons i will have to remove when i get the supercharger...what to do first?....clutch,trans,headers,intake manifolds,camshafts????? any insight would be awesome and appreciated
Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

clutch and trans are fine until after charging, leave them alone.

What is your goal with the car and how much do you want to spend on it?

The most common mods are intake, tune, exhaust.

If you go with a reputable intake and a full bolt on exhaust (headers back) and get it tuned, you will be making a great amount of horsepower for a non-power adder car. From there you could go with cams, FRPP hot rod cams are something you can do now and it won't void your warranty but will give you a great midrange and pull all the way to the increased redline (up to 6800 rpms without modifications to internals).

Don't forget a few things though, just as important as how you make the power, is how you get it to the ground. I would suggest dropping the stock wheels (if they are stock) and getting something that is 9.5 or larger in the back. Get good tires as well. NITTO 555R's seem to be a great one with good grip, wear, price, and selection of sizes.

Don't buy a throttlebody spacer or an intake plenum. THe spacer is worthless and the plenum isn't going to give you much, especially considering their price and the fact that you want a Roushcharger. Also, buying a larger throttlebody probably won't do much for you without a super or turbo charger. If you want to spend a little bit of money ($75 after core returned) and get a great looking throttle body that does get increased flow but is otherwise stock and not super expensive, look up Jerry Strannigan, he ports and polishes OEM throttlebodies. ~10% in air flow gain and they look much better than stock.

This forum has thousands of threads and chances are someone has already done what you're thinking about. Use the search tool before asking questions, it helps to cut down on the trolls.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:55 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Well if you have full exhaust you already have headers and depending on which supercharger you get (I'm assuming that since you said Roush it will be a twin screw) you would not be able to use any aftermarket intake manifold you get (i.e. your supercharger would be your new intake manifold). Also, your air intake will most likely be replaced by one provided along with your supercharger. Your clutch and trans should be fine unless you get north of 430ish hp and until you get a supercharger that won't happen. Cams are a solid choice but be sure to get some that do not conflict with supercharged applications (FFRP Hot Rods conflict). Maybe check out shifters (I've heard that MGW is the best), gears (keep in mind that 4.10's with a twin screw might be a little unreasonable), lower and upper control arms will help you hook up along with better/wider tires (but again, if you're not pushing over 400 hp this is not necessary. Honestly, I would get long tube headers (if you don't already have them), cams, gears, shifter, LCA's, UCA's, sticky tires, and a good dyno tune. Then save for that s/c.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:36 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5spdftw
Well if you have full exhaust you already have headers and depending on which supercharger you get (I'm assuming that since you said Roush it will be a twin screw) you would not be able to use any aftermarket intake manifold you get (i.e. your supercharger would be your new intake manifold). Also, your air intake will most likely be replaced by one provided along with your supercharger. Your clutch and trans should be fine unless you get north of 430ish hp and until you get a supercharger that won't happen. Cams are a solid choice but be sure to get some that do not conflict with supercharged applications (FFRP Hot Rods conflict). Maybe check out shifters (I've heard that MGW is the best), gears (keep in mind that 4.10's with a twin screw might be a little unreasonable), lower and upper control arms will help you hook up along with better/wider tires (but again, if you're not pushing over 400 hp this is not necessary. Honestly, I would get long tube headers (if you don't already have them), cams, gears, shifter, LCA's, UCA's, sticky tires, and a good dyno tune. Then save for that s/c.
Completely skipped the first two sentences about intake and exhaust... embarrassing.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:11 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Lol, no biggee bro. Carry on advice givers...
Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 PM
secondgen420

hey thanks for all of the advice so far guys its appreciated...i have no auto experience i just bought one of those books at pep boys that pretty much show you how to disassemble and reassemble anything with the car...heres the 2 superchargers im looking into...
1) 2005-09 Mustang GT Ford Racing/whipple 550HP Supercharger Kit - Polished
2005-2006-2007-2008-2009 Mustang GT with MANUAL transmission ONLY - Polished Ford Racing and Whipple bring massive power to the 2005-2009 (see our drop-down menu for your specific model year) GT Mustangs with this supercharger that comes in a gorgeous polished finish. This supercharger kit can bring the 4.6L V8's horsepower up to 550hp and increases torque up to 542lbs/ft. The 2.3L twin screw design gets up to an 11psi boost at the red line. Unlike most competitors, Ford Racing's supercharger... $6,811.99

2)2005-2006-2007-2008-2009 Mustang GT Roush Roushcharger TVS2300 Supercharger Kit - Tuner (Replaced by Part Number 421099)
The ROUSH TVS2300 Supercharger is the one of the most powerful superchargers on the market for the 2005-2009 GT Mustang and can bring you pony up to 510 horsepower with 510lbs/ft of torque. The TVS blower is the same blower used on ROUSH's P-51 limited production Mustangs.
The TVS2300 uses Eaton's Twin Vortices Series Technology that uses a four-lobe rotor an high-flow inlet to increase thermal efficiency, volume capacity and allows for higher operational speeds that gives 12-14psi of boost.
The kit includes ROUSH's TVS2300 supercharger, a cold air intake system, an electronic dual 60mm GT500 throttle body, air-to-water intercooler, upper and lower intakes, a customized fuel rail with 52lb/hr fuel injectors, and all brackets and hardware for installation.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:44 PM
secondgen420

whats Lca's and uca's? sry im car illeterate...
Old 11-16-2011, 07:45 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

LCS's are lower control arms and UCA's are the upper control arms. They control the "wheel hop" that you'll get with hard launches. Basically helps hooking up at low speeds with more power than stock. With either of those superchargers you will have to upgrade to forged engine components. The stock engine can handle around 450tq safely but supercharger companies would love to let you believe otherwise. It is possible to run upwards of 500hp and tq and many people on this forum have but if you like to stick your foot in it often, your engine WILL go boom with that much power.

This isn't meant to scare you out of supercharging, just don't believe Kenne Bell when they say that you can make 850+hp with their mammoth supercharger on a 100% stock engine lol. Talk to a reputable tuner/shop in your area.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:42 PM
al roberts

I can definetly attest to the BOOM part. 4.6's have WEAK stock rods. Don't make the mistake of putting all that money in it with a stock block. It can be costly, I know. I did and it cost me 9k. Part # M-6009-A463SC [ GT 350 short block, forged crank, rods, and pistons] is the only way to go. It will handle about anything you can throw at it for mods. List price from Ford Racing is 4k, but most Ford performance dealers sell it closer to 3k.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:57 AM
secondgen420

Thanx bro its appreciated

Quick Reply: DONT KNOW WHERE TO START...PLEASE HELP