Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Spark plug replacement ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:48 PM
edman49

Default Spark plug replacement ideas?

My 2006 GT has 83,000 miles on it and I am wanting to change the plugs without breaking any of them. I plan to run a tank of fuel with an overdose of injector cleaners before I start. Maybe Techron plus Gumout. I'll be soaking each plug hole with a small amount of PB Blaster after I crack open each plug a 1/16 of a turn. I plan for an overnight soak. Has anyone run a heavy load of injector cleaner and had an easy plug removal? Also, even though a pneumatic removal is not recommended, the u-tube video showing eight plugs come out of a 5.4 in about ten minutes makes me wonder, have any of you tried this yet? Before I even start, I will have the Lisle tool handy, but I hope to never need it. I would appreciate some feedback on any other method that has worked , thank guys.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:04 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by edman49
My 2006 GT has 83,000 miles on it and I am wanting to change the plugs without breaking any of them. I plan to run a tank of fuel with an overdose of injector cleaners before I start. Maybe Techron plus Gumout. I'll be soaking each plug hole with a small amount of PB Blaster after I crack open each plug a 1/16 of a turn. I plan for an overnight soak. Has anyone run a heavy load of injector cleaner and had an easy plug removal? Also, even though a pneumatic removal is not recommended, the u-tube video showing eight plugs come out of a 5.4 in about ten minutes makes me wonder, have any of you tried this yet? Before I even start, I will have the Lisle tool handy, but I hope to never need it. I would appreciate some feedback on any other method that has worked , thank guys.
Whatever you do, do not use air tools.

You've got a decent plan of attack. Since I did my own, I can offer the following advice.

When you start, tighten them back up snug, then start to loosen them, tighten them, loosen, tighten. You get the picture? Just work them out nice and slowly. When you feel the plug stop or tighten up all of sudden, try to loosen a little more. If you hear it creaking, tighten back up and loosen them.

It'll get easier and easier with each tighten/loosen rotation but it's slow going.

Good luck and report back.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 PM
BAB GT
2nd Gear Member

I am doing the same thing to my '06 GT w/ 83k tomorrow. I had the same plan! I will report Sunday on the results. Which plugs should I use?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Motorcraft/HT is still the best plug IMO, despite having the crappy 2 piece design.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:36 AM
rocky321
2nd Gear Member

Soaking overnight is the key. Then the tighten/lossen method. If you break any, the tool works wonders.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:55 AM
rocky321
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Motorcraft/HT is still the best plug IMO, despite having the crappy 2 piece design.
I agree. That's why I replaced with the same on my 08 GT, but used anti-seize on the threads and the electrode shield.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

A fuel additive/ cleaner will not do any good...I run SeaFoam all the time in my 06GT and the carbon was still built up...I used Seafoam DeepCreep for soaking... it kills carbon on contact...I soaked them overnight before ever touching them... & madmann26 spells out the procedure perfectly...mine came out without a problem...just stressful!

Last edited by Lifter583; 02-04-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:26 PM
BAB GT
2nd Gear Member

I had to postpone for this weekend. Muscle car.com has the Ford oem plugs for $69 with free shipping, so I will wait for them to come in and attempt the change next weekend. So

just the Wix fuel filter today.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:28 PM
BAB GT
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, meant American Muscle!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:46 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Good advice above. I used a torque wrench so I could see how much force was needed to get mine out. Took about 55 ft/lbs, but they all came out. Dont forget.....soak em all night.

Quick Reply: Spark plug replacement ideas?