Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

TPS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:39 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Default TPS?

Great... one thing after another. House issues... car issues... But since this is a car forum I'll leave the house out of it.

It started a little while ago, my car was hunting for idle at the light, and this morning when pushing in the clutch she slowly revved to 3k rpm before deciding that idle really is at around 800rpm. If I drive home or to work in one go I haven't really had any issues, but with a stop in between we got problems. I tested it out on the way back from work tonight, while I had to wait for mcDonalds fries to be done. Sure enough she was having a rough time at the light again.

She also died at the light a few times on the way to work, but did fire back up, usually the first try. Today she needed a second try.

I am leaning towards the TPS, and am going to call the dealership to see if she can come in Tuesday. She needs state inspection anyway, so it'll be 2 birds with one stone. I usually go to a hole in the place for inspection if it is outside the regular maintenance schedule. I hope whatever is wrong can wait one more day, and whatever it is, doesn't rape my bank account.

Could it be anything else? MAF perhaps? If it was the pump it would not support revving higher. There is no check engine light illuminated by the way, which I find odd. This would definitely be something that would classify as a CEL thing IMHO.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:47 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Clean the throttle body.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Clean the throttle body.
This would be my guess. My old Volvo was horrible with that, and there were multiple times the car would stall, yet no CEL.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:59 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Throttle body huh? Never thought about that one. But since I can't afford to be wrong, or f*ck anything up leaving me without a car, the dealership it is. And a lot less $$ in my pocket too I presume...

I'll tell em to look at that. She's run around 32k miles, not a lot of miles really.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:35 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

If you've got the time and chance, I'd clean the throttle body myself. Really pretty easy to do yourself and I'm sure the dealer would charge you a pretty penny for it.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Yeah dont pay the dealer to clean the throttle body. You can do it yourself in about 10-15 min. Brenspeed even has a how-to video on their website if you need directions.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:08 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
If you've got the time and chance, I'd clean the throttle body myself. Really pretty easy to do yourself and I'm sure the dealer would charge you a pretty penny for it.
If it wasn't last minute I most likely would have done it. I am confident I could do it myself given the time. And I am sure there will be a next time, as I am not getting rid of her unless I have to.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

The plot thickens. Today is her appointment at the dealership. I had to bring the baby to my inlaws, and at their stop sign the car died. Then going up their driveway in second the engine died and told me it went into failsafe. After starting everything appeared fine, but needless to say I babied it.

Then not a mile later it went in failsafe again. But the funny thing, no CEL. Must be burnt out huh? The engine runs fine, but the failsafe limited my speed to about 35 ish. At the next light I shut it off, and hoped it would start when the light turned green. Naturally I started it too early (cross traffic, and I was in the left turn lane). I kept the revs slightly off idle myself as there where many cars behind. Te following light it idled normal, and I shut if off normally at the dealer. I told him everything I am writing here right now.

He asked if she was displaying the CEL. And I said no. He seemed puzzled.... I'll know more at around noon... Keep you guys posted.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:41 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

That sounds strange, Definitely sounds like a throttle body issue, but I've read that the alternator going bad can cause driveability issues in these cars. Normally an alternator just dies, but these seem to like to *** with **** before they go. Too many electronic gizmos on cars today.

I sure wish they'd go back to a throttle cable, but it's all about maximizing profit.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:47 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Ok, I got her back and including the state inspection, for which I need to be back tomorrow due to some of the sensors not being ready, I am out an arm and a leg. $760.

They changed out the entire tb assembly, the old one had an issue with the actuator that controls the flaps. Funny thing is that the fix also fixed the heatgauge on my cluster. Now only the battery is pointing in no mans land. She runs like a top now, I'll post an update in a week from now to let y'all know if everything stayed ok. But she feels and performs healthy.

Guess i'll take off the tb in 10.000 miles and clean it per brenspeed instructions. Perhaps that keeps things cleaner, and running better than ever.

I do agree with the electric crap making things more difficult, but it also makes 18mpg city in a v8 possible. So one can't really complain.

Quick Reply: TPS?