Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 05:27 AM
sjstrayer

Default Help!!!!

I have an 07 GT. I had to drive through standing water yesterday. This morning the car will start, but will not go into gear. If the car is in gear when I try to start it, it moves. I can change gears while the car is off. Any ideas?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:53 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

I have to ask.. are you sure? Reason being, sometimes I go start my car and it absolutely refuses to go into gear. I then have to joggle around trying to find one it will go into.. after about 30 seconds of random trying, it usually accepts 1st gear. Then I can stick it in reverse, get out of my garage and gtfo..lol Happens about once every 50 starts and its always on a cold start. Oddly enough, it happened on my last Mustang as well.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:27 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

A component on the hydraulic clutch system may have failed. A bad master cylinder or slave cylinder, as well as a ruptured or disconnected pressure line between the 2 cylinders, can cause your tranny's problem.
If there's fluid under the car, then either the slave cylinder has failed externally, or the pressure line either has ruptured or has disconnected. (Note: A slave cylinder can also fail internally, which will not cause a leak.)
Old 06-26-2012, 01:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You have a weak/malfunctioning hydraulic slave cylinder. The car moving when you start it in gear is a dead give away. It could also be the pressure plate, but more likely it's the slave.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:33 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xkape
I have to ask.. are you sure? Reason being, sometimes I go start my car and it absolutely refuses to go into gear. I then have to joggle around trying to find one it will go into.. after about 30 seconds of random trying, it usually accepts 1st gear. Then I can stick it in reverse, get out of my garage and gtfo..lol Happens about once every 50 starts and its always on a cold start. Oddly enough, it happened on my last Mustang as well.
Never experienced anything like that and I've had the transmission out twice.