Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Weird when cold...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Brutamalizer

Default Weird when cold...

Hello, first post on here. I've had my mustang(GT) since April of this year and it is developing some strange noises which I believe to be transmission/clutch related.

When cold started(60 degrees or below) there is a hissing noise every time I depress the clutch, this noise goes away after about 5-10 minutes of driving/warming up.

Also! When driving normally....Say shifting from 2nd to 3rd(noise happens in all gears...Only up shifting) I hear a kind of rapid clicking noise until the engine speeds up past 1500ish RPM.

Now I was figuring i'm going to change my fluid to the Royal Purple synthetic product but before I do that I wanted to have some input from some fellow mustang owners.

Thanks for reading!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Brutamalizer

PS, I read the stickies and have looked up the TSB's and came up with these...

08-3-4
RATTLE/BUZZ/VIBRATION - TRANSMISSION CROSS-MEMBER EXHAUST MOUNT - BUILT BEFORE 12/3/2007
08-2-10
4.6L MANUAL TRANSMISSION - SEPARATOR PLATE BUZZ - BUILT BEFORE 12/13/2007
08-2-4
MANUAL TRANSMISSION SHIFTER BOOT NOISE - BUILT BEFORE 12/6/2007
Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brutamalizer
Hello, first post on here. I've had my mustang(GT) since April of this year and it is developing some strange noises which I believe to be transmission/clutch related.

When cold started(60 degrees or below) there is a hissing noise every time I depress the clutch, this noise goes away after about 5-10 minutes of driving/warming up.

Also! When driving normally....Say shifting from 2nd to 3rd(noise happens in all gears...Only up shifting) I hear a kind of rapid clicking noise until the engine speeds up past 1500ish RPM.

Now I was figuring i'm going to change my fluid to the Royal Purple synthetic product but before I do that I wanted to have some input from some fellow mustang owners.

Thanks for reading!
I had the same exact problem with my 06 gt I had, when I took it to my shop (before I started working there) they said it was a bad release bearing and just to change it with the clutch the car had over 45xxx miles on it and whoever had it before didnt take very good care of it
Old 10-02-2012, 10:39 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

the hissing stops because it warms up and stuff, I hated that noise it was embarrassing
Old 10-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Brutamalizer

Interesting, how much did that cost to have fixed? Also when cold and starting out in first gear the car is crazy jumpy, like it forces me to shift to 2nd gear or else it'll just buck really hard. After a little while though....It's normal :/
Old 10-04-2012, 05:58 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Interesting, how much did that cost to have fixed? Also when cold and starting out in first gear the car is crazy jumpy, like it forces me to shift to 2nd gear or else it'll just buck really hard. After a little while though....It's normal :/
Unfortunately it involves dropping the trans so your best bet is to get a clutch kit that comes with one so you can just do the clutch too while its down.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:23 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Same here. Mine is torque-y as hell when cold but damn she will haul down the road lol
Old 10-05-2012, 11:36 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Both my '99GT and my '06GT have run funny from a cold start when it's chilly out. It's almost like the fuel isn't getting there enough - a bit of a buck/surge when in 1st. Once you hit 2nd, it's fine. Almost like the fuel system "catches up" by the time it's in 2nd.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Brutamalizer

Well I'm glad to know atleast I'm not the only one experiencing these problems. I assume you all have the refueling problem too
Old 10-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

.. I assume you all have the refueling problem too
Who doesn't?

Quick Reply: Weird when cold...