Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Another gear question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 06:14 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...s/viewall.html

Know the limits of stock parts. In this case, running the redline that high would likely cause cam phaser issues. I would consider Comp Cams lock out kit.
holy crap lol look at all the stuff that goes wrong hahaha
Old 10-24-2012, 09:54 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...s/viewall.html

Know the limits of stock parts. In this case, running the redline that high would likely cause cam phaser issues. I would consider Comp Cams lock out kit.
Ill deff do the phasers when i do the springs and heads but that thing about the rear housing bending when we push serious power is that something we should worry aboutwhen supercgarging? And my stock internals will be fine with everything i do n/a right? I mean 450hp and the rods might break? Wtf
Old 10-24-2012, 03:03 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

and that sucks why would ford racing make superchargers that are "safe" if their rods will blow out? And what happened to the aluminator block? How come you cant get that anymore?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:15 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

some of the issues those tuners/builders complain about I have never seen or heard at those low levels. Remember, they're taking cars and making them faster for people who are abusing them. for the valve train and internals, they seem to be fairly accurate with what I have seen on here. Keep looking on the forums for common issues. FRPP superchargers that don't require a bottom end rebuild probably don't boost that much and keep over all power levels below 500.

Stock internals I believe will handle all the NA stuff. if you get serious about building the engine, consider changing your compression to better match a boosted application.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:32 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

some of the issues those tuners/builders complain about I have never seen or heard at those low levels. Remember, they're taking cars and making them faster for people who are abusing them. for the valve train and internals, they seem to be fairly accurate with what I have seen on here. Keep looking on the forums for common issues. FRPP superchargers that don't require a bottom end rebuild probably don't boost that much and keep over all power levels below 500.

Stock internals I believe will handle all the NA stuff. if you get serious about building the engine, consider changing your compression to better match a boosted application.
I deff plan on doing a full forged setup eventually but for now I just hope my internals will handle everything :/ after i do the springs, phasers, heads, act how far do you think I can rev it out to? before its too much for the bottom end
Old 10-25-2012, 05:06 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I've never seen anyone try to rev super high and call their bottom end in to question. Honestly, I wouldn't run it past 6,800 with the new phasers. Not much point most of them time. You're likely going to be out of your power band over that.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:41 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

I've never seen anyone try to rev super high and call their bottom end in to question. Honestly, I wouldn't run it past 6,800 with the new phasers. Not much point most of them time. You're likely going to be out of your power band over that.
well when I was reading up on the full ford racing NA kit (the mani, throttle body, heads, and cams, intake, exhaust) they said like properly tuned was making 440 at the crank at 7000 rpm
Old 10-25-2012, 06:54 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Most of what I've read said that the stock engine is good up to 450 F/I. I would say that alot of how long it lasts is how hard you are on it - if you're beating on it, it'll break at stock HP levels soon enough.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:00 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

U can beat the the **** out of ur car and nothing happens. Get a ****ty tune and u will be SOL
Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I would recommend 4.10 gears as they are for acceleration. (they make higher for the 8.8" i believe 4.30's are NOT available from FRPP). In 4th gear, you'd need to be pushing a 9.9-low 10s 1/4 and ~600rwhp or more (many variables apply here). If you plan to top the then maybe look at 3.90's
FRPP no longer makes 4.30s

Quick Reply: Another gear question