Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Header Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 02:32 PM
epughtu53

Default Header Advice

I have been wanting to add a few more horsepower to my car so i decided that headers would be the next thing to add considering i already have exhaust and cold air intake. I want the bbk long tube headers but a friend was telling me he knew someone who could make headers for me for fairly cheap. I know getting the BBK headers are probably the best bet but is buying custom built headers a good option also?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:44 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

There's a whole lot more to headers than "bending some pipe and making a few welds". If you're going to take the time to do the install (or pay for it to be done), you might as well spend the bucks on a set of "known good" headers. All of the major players are within a few HP of each other as far as long tubes go. Don't waste your time with shorties.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:49 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

I love my slp headers stainless steel and ceramic coated plus a lifetime warranty
Old 12-21-2012, 05:16 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Yea, I would be out on custom headers. Too big of a pita if something goes wrong with them. BBK products are top notch and if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Get ready for the rumble and enjoy!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:34 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

All the big names in headers have been tuned for their length, flow, and angles. I have Mac lt's that were ceramic coated and love them. They also posted the best gains in an article Muscle Mustang with dyno info comparing lt's for our cars.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:15 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

Don't have them made. Get a pre made set. Bbk is a popular brand for headers. I have American racing headers and my shop told me they were the best fitment they have seen in a while. Plus they sound great and added 31rwhp as well.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:07 AM
epughtu53

Yeah I think I am just going to get the BBK headers and spend the extra bit of money. I guess you really do get what you pay for. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:08 AM
epughtu53

Originally Posted by johngt10
Don't have them made. Get a pre made set. Bbk is a popular brand for headers. I have American racing headers and my shop told me they were the best fitment they have seen in a while. Plus they sound great and added 31rwhp as well.
What kind of gas mileage did you get per tank before you put your headers on?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:47 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by johngt10
+1 for ARH. They are more expensive but they will last the life of the vehicle. They also are the only full length long tube, eveybody else is a 7/8. For the PITA it is installing headers on Ford OHC motors you only want to do this once.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't bother with headers unless you're doing cams, too. There's just no bang for the buck with ONLY headers. IMO, you'd likely gain more power by simply replacing your SCT tunes with BAMA or Brenspeed tunes.

Quick Reply: Header Advice