Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

1997 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L; can't open trunk or passenger-side door with the key!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 PM
JohnLanier

Default 1997 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L; can't open trunk or passenger-side door with the key!

Hello..I'm a new new member with a strange problem (I originally posted this in the 4.6L general discussion forum, but this one seems more appropriate):

-->1997 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L
-->Bought used, October 2012
-->NO REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY PROVIDED WHEN I BOUGHT IT
-->Anti-theft protection system, but not sure if it is stock or not
-->Replaced IAC Valve last weekend, per Advanced Auto diagnostic
-->(don't think it's related to this problem though)

1. This past Saturday morning (and every day since I bought it) I could open my trunk with my key; by this past Saturday evening I couldn't, nor could I open the passenger-side door. Luckily, I can open the driver-side door with the original key AND the backup key I had made at Tru Value, but I can't open either the trunk or the passenger side door with either key. It's behaving like the anti-theft system has been triggered in some way, but I can't say for sure..?

3. After reading the owner's manual and some googling on the problem, I noticed that the instrument panel fuse box (right underneath the steering wheel, near my left knee) was knocked loose; I took it off and snapped it back in place, but the problem persists.

3. I thought it might be a bad fuse (location 6, amp 15), but the same fuse controls the following things that are all working fine:

a. Speed Control Amplifier
b, Warning Chime
c. Clock
d. A/C Heater Control Assembly
e. Anti-theft controller module
f. Remote Keyless Entry Module

4. Some other threads say that the anti-theft control assembly is in the trunk, which of course I can't open :-(

Any suggestions/thoughts/etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--JohnL

Last edited by JohnLanier; 03-24-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Issue resolved; no keyless entry installed from the factory, had to buy one.