Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

VCT KNOCK

Old 05-03-2013, 01:38 AM
brandonfoursix

Default VCT KNOCK

So I found this tsb online and I know alot of people experience this issue and I have watched videos on youtube with the same exact sound ( a lightly audible knock when engine is at idle at normal operating temp) so if you hear the knock at idle and rev the engine above 1200 rpms and it stops, then returning to idle the knock returns that is supposed to show that it is indeed the vct solenoid. My question is has anyone changed the solenoid and notice the noise stop? I only notice it on the passenger side and i'm wondering if it would be worth it to change the solenoid out but if it's not going to stop the noise then i'm not going to bother with it as it's considered "normal engine noise" in the tsb. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
vct knock.pdf (113.9 KB, 431 views)
Old 05-03-2013, 02:54 PM
brandonfoursix

LOL this website wont even let me view the attatchment I added WTF?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:54 PM
brandonfoursix

182 views and not one peep. This forum blows!
Old 05-04-2013, 08:38 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

A knocking sound at idle is not considered normal. The videos I've seen on YouTube suggest it knocks at any engine speed.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:24 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by brandonfoursix
182 views and not one peep. This forum blows!

Wow, well welcome to the forum. This attitude should get you far.

Maybe no one is sure of your question, or maybe if they understand what you are asking they don't have any experience with it so can't give you an answer and don't want to just guess.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:53 PM
brandonfoursix

Well it's nice to see signs of life on here thanks for responding. Normally I don't have a bad attitude but this 05 gt has just been a PITA and it's starting to wear my patients thin. Mine doesn't knock at any engine speed above idle it's silent. I've been able to rule out followers and lash adjusters with an extension and a a deep socket but it's either the passenger side cam phaser or it's the VCT solenoid. Could even be a chain tensioner too I guess but it's been hard for me to even look at it the last 2 weeks because on my days off it's raining all freaking day.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:46 PM
brandonfoursix

I'm thinking it's the timing chain tensioner now. I'm thinking at idle the oil pressure is lower and the tensioner seal is bad allowing the oil to drain out and cause the noise i'm hearing then when you rev the rpms higher the oil pressure is up and not giving the tensioner time to let the oil drain back hence why it doesn't make any noise. There are 2 reasons i'm leaning toward this the first is I have a 1-2 second rattle at start-up (sometimes) after the car sitting all night making me think that one of the tensioners has a bad seal and allowing the oil to drain out overnight the second is when I put my socket and extension on the belt tensioner pulley bolts I can hear the noise the best and that's about where the timing chain tensioner would be located. I've never had a timing chain tensioner go bad before and I hate to think this is what it is due to the fact that i'm going to have to pull the valve covers and the timing chain cover, it just makes me sick! And if you go that far you may as well put brand new guides, chains, sprockets and both tensioners just to have peace of mind.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

This forum blows...
Old 05-04-2013, 07:15 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

How many miles in this mustang?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:16 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

How many miles on this mustang?