Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Hot Rod Cams. Many Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:49 PM
wetwille3
2nd Gear Member

Default Hot Rod Cams. Many Questions.

If you read my previous post, I am planning on putting some hot rod cams in later this summer, and I have many questions I need to think about.

First, my car is a daily driver. After the cams Ill take it to the track a few times, but not much. This being said, I want "safe" cams, because its a DD and I want to keep the longevity of my car. My main concern is not harming my car for the future in any way.
Mods-3.73,LT's,CAI/SCT,UDP.So..

Should I buy the frpp manifold with it?
Heads/Valve?
frpp TB?
Opinion on the Hot rod cams?
Are they too loud that I will wake up neighbors?
Anything Im missing?

I know some of those are not necessary, but I want the car to run safer and better and maximize power. Ford says they are "safe" for a normal car, but I would like yalls opinion. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 03:02 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

For a DD I would recommend Brenspeed Detroit rockers.. That is my personal opinion however, I've done a lot of research learning they are the most "driver friendly " cams with about the same exact gain as the frpp's hot rods. Run good at low rpms.. This will be my next performance mod at the end of the summer as well. Long tubes run well with all cams as well as gears, there are a ton of threads on this subject.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 AM
wetwille3
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
For a DD I would recommend Brenspeed Detroit rockers.. That is my personal opinion however, I've done a lot of research learning they are the most "driver friendly " cams with about the same exact gain as the frpp's hot rods. Run good at low rpms.. This will be my next performance mod at the end of the summer as well. Long tubes run well with all cams as well as gears, there are a ton of threads on this subject.
I have read many great things about those, but im leaning towards the frpp ones
Old 06-13-2013, 11:39 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I would just get the cams for now. If the 2010 4.6L is basically the same as the 05-09s, the TB won't do you much good over the stock one on a N/A (naturally aspirated) car. Everyone loves the FRPP cams so they're a good choice for a N/A car.

Not sure what your long term goals are, but from what I gather they aren't as good for FI (forced induction) cars. That isn't to say they're bad, they're just not designed specifically for those applications so they won't make as much power as a cam designed for FI. For those you'll want to be looking at the Brenspeed Detroit Rocker blower cams.

Either way you can't go wrong and I think you'll be quite happy with just the FRPP cams. They'll match up well with your longtubes and you'll get an even bigger power increase when you combine them than if you had each one separately. Your car won't be harmed either.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:47 AM
wetwille3
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I would just get the cams for now. If the 2010 4.6L is basically the same as the 05-09s, the TB won't do you much good over the stock one on a N/A (naturally aspirated) car. Everyone loves the FRPP cams so they're a good choice for a N/A car.

Not sure what your long term goals are, but from what I gather they aren't as good for FI (forced induction) cars. That isn't to say they're bad, they're just not designed specifically for those applications so they won't make as much power as a cam designed for FI. For those you'll want to be looking at the Brenspeed Detroit Rocker blower cams.

Either way you can't go wrong and I think you'll be quite happy with just the FRPP cams. They'll match up well with your longtubes and you'll get an even bigger power increase when you combine them than if you had each one separately. Your car won't be harmed either.
Long term, no blower or anything. This will be my last big hp purchase, I just want it to be safe with stocks heads and whatnot. I know ill be happy with it, I just become a little scared of my car when it comes to cams!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:03 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wetwille3
Long term, no blower or anything. This will be my last big hp purchase, I just want it to be safe with stocks heads and whatnot. I know ill be happy with it, I just become a little scared of my car when it comes to cams!
Those cams should definitely fit your needs nicely then. They're designed for just what you're asking. Put 'em in and take some video and show off to everyone here!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

FRPP will make the ladies fall from the heavens to get a ride in your car.
haha, the Hotrods are a very good all around choice for power and the nice sound that comes with em, you wont be dissapointed
Old 06-14-2013, 09:38 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lem-06
FRPP will make the ladies fall from the heavens to get a ride in your car.
haha, the Hotrods are a very good all around choice for power and the nice sound that comes with em, you wont be dissapointed
+1 , mine are great even with the supercharger..
Old 06-14-2013, 08:12 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lawrencecar1
+1 , mine are great even with the supercharger..
+1 same here
Old 06-15-2013, 05:25 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

something else to think about as well is they work better with longtubes performance wise that is

Quick Reply: Hot Rod Cams. Many Questions.