Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Header choice with lowered engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Default Header choice with lowered engine

Ok guys, got a good one for you.

Recently bought some Prothane Engine mounts. They lower the engine about 3/4 inch. Unfortunately, I can't lower my engine that much as my current JBA shorty headers would hit my steering shaft.

Question is this, does anyone out there have headers with lowering mounts? What headers are they?

Honestly In looking at it I think I would have fewer interface issues with a set of full length headers than the JBA shorty headers. These things are all over the place lol. They're "equal length" so they really take up some space. I figure long tubes would be a bit straighter and not as intrusive right there.

As far as my preferences I've always loved Borla. The sound is fantastic and I feel like the product is really well designed. I just don't want to spend almost a grand and them have the same problem as my JBAs.

Info always welcome. Lemme know what you got!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:00 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Are you sure the motor mounts are ProThane? I have the ProThane Bullet mounts and my engine didn't drop at all. I have MAC long tubes and they're great and reasonably priced. Tuned length > equal length.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:59 AM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Yea Prothane part number 6-505.

I had thought they lowered the engine 3/4in, but on a second inspection I don't see that listed anywhere. Maybe I just made that up in my head....

I checked with CrownAviation, who's doing my Department of Boost Supercharger kit, and he said that these mounts should work fine for what we're doing, so maybe I won't need to lower my engine after all. I'm thinking I saw that on the Kenne Bell site for some of the larger blowers that I was considering for my Stage 2 build on down the road...

Here are some pics I found with a link to the thread I found them in. Looks like the mounts I don't lower after all.

This is stock vs the prothane mounts

These are the regular prothane mounts vs a shaved, 1/2in drop mount.

Link to the thread: http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...s-vids-461710/

Guess I just got mixed up and started making assumptions lol. On the bright side it looks like I can just put these mounts in now, and if I need to lower the engine later just shave them down. Welp, looks like this was my blonde moment of the day.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:31 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The standard prothane motor mounts will raise the motor a little, because they don't sag any like the stock mounts.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Esch
1st Gear Member

You're right about less interference with LTs vs. shorties. When I had my Kooks installed, I could access everything from the top of the engine bay. When I installed my BBK shorties, I could only tighten things from underneath. I also had to remove the steering shaft while installing the BBKs which I didn't have to do with the Kooks. The steering shaft is pretty close to the headers, but with the Prothane mounts, there's no movement so they never rub, even in the middle of hard corners.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
The standard prothane motor mounts will raise the motor a little, because they don't sag any like the stock mounts.
Even if the stock mounts only have 7500 miles on them? I know they're hydra filled but the car is basically new...

In any case I'm probably gonna take a crack at this tomorrow after work.

Originally Posted by Esch
You're right about less interference with LTs vs. shorties. When I had my Kooks installed, I could access everything from the top of the engine bay. When I installed my BBK shorties, I could only tighten things from underneath. I also had to remove the steering shaft while installing the BBKs which I didn't have to do with the Kooks. The steering shaft is pretty close to the headers, but with the Prothane mounts, there's no movement so they never rub, even in the middle of hard corners.
I had figured long tubes would be a better fit. I know they're a PITA to install though.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:06 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

LT's are worth it and yes hydro mounts, no matter how new are not solid and will move when the engine torques.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
LT's are worth it and yes hydro mounts, no matter how new are not solid and will move when the engine torques.
Right, I know that they'll allow the engine to move under torque, I was more or less interested in if they would sag with the car off. In other words are they so soft that the weight of the engine alone causes them to sag at a lower level than the prothane mounts would sit at.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:13 AM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

I have the JBA shorties and the Prothane part number 6-505 on my 05 GT, actually installed them at the same time. No issues with interference at all.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:50 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
Right, I know that they'll allow the engine to move under torque, I was more or less interested in if they would sag with the car off. In other words are they so soft that the weight of the engine alone causes them to sag at a lower level than the prothane mounts would sit at.
I don't think so, it's just that they are softer and on harder right turns they do cause impact with the steering column, the prothanes are solid enough that they don't allow that shift.

Quick Reply: Header choice with lowered engine