Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

E-Force Throttle Body WTF?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Stuntman Mike

Unhappy E-Force Throttle Body WTF?!?

All,

After much debate, I pulled the trigger on an E-Force 1580 kit for my '06 GT before Memorial Day. A few weeks later, I starting getting the dreaded 21XX error codes and my car would just shut off. It ran fine when it was cold, or when I was moving enough to get some air flow. But if I got stuck in traffic or when through a fast food drive-thru, it was over. Throttle position would stick, sometimes at idle, sometimes high. Then when I got on the accelerator pedal, the wrench light came on and the car went off.

When I took the first throttle body off, I saw what I believed to be evidence of the two resin / poly / whatever gears rubbing against each other. Specifically tooth material was displaced on the gear sides that faced each other. Possible gear binding?

I contacted Edelbrock and they were genuinely concerned. They expedited a new throttle body to me at the beginning of August, which I promptly installed. Problems were gone! Or so I thought . . .

It happened to me again yesterday. A long freeway run followed by heavy stop-n-go in Burbank. At first the throttle seemed sluggish. Then I saw that when I'd come to a stoplight and go into neutral that the idle would hang at 1500ish and then drop down a few seconds later. A signal or two later, the idle would just hang at 2250 and not come down. Light turns green, I get on the gas, wrench light comes on, car dies, lather-rinse-repeat.

Thanks to some favorable green lights, I was able to get it back on the freeway and home. In a familiar neighborhood and close to the house, I couldn't replicate the failure. When I parked the car, I popped the hood and felt the throttle body. It was hot but not bad. BUT the housing around the throttle actuator motor was HOT HOT HOT. I couldn't touch it for more than a second or two.

So here's my question: Is my throttle actuator going bad and making the throttle body act funny? Or is another binding throttle body making my actuator get as toasty as what I felt last night. I suspect and fear that it's the latter.

I'm going to try to replicate the failure again today before calling Edelbrock tomorrow. But I thought I'd ask for some opinions here first. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Stuntman Mike; 09-08-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What was your reason for replacing the just-fine-even-for-FI, stock TB? If you had searched the forum you'd have seen that aftermarket TB's provide no performance gain on our GT's (besides the placebo effect) AND are known to be nothing but trouble.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:53 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
What was your reason for replacing the just-fine-even-for-FI, stock TB? If you had searched the forum you'd have seen that aftermarket TB's provide no performance gain on our GT's (besides the placebo effect) AND are known to be nothing but trouble.
If you knew anything about the Edlebrock blower, you'd know that it comes with a throttle body. Just doing to you, what you did to him, lol! A larger throttle body does increase hp on a PD blower car, even at only 10psi. There's plenty of dyno proven results (20+hp) from people with no skin in the game.

Who makes the edlebrock throttle body? Can't you use a gt500 throttle body with the E-force?

Last edited by moosestang; 09-08-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
If you knew anything about the Edlebrock blower, you'd know that it comes with a throttle body...
I totally missed the connection. Must be that I'm still celebrating Labor Day...
Old 09-08-2013, 06:32 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

The E-Force uses a 85mm mono-blade throttle body. You have to take out the spring and retainer from the stock TB and put in the E-Force TB. The spring has to be clocked just the right way to work or you get the 21xx codes and it won't work for crap. Always operate the throttle by hand before installing. Ask me how I know....

Last edited by jpplaw; 09-08-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpplaw
The E-Force uses a 85mm mono-blade throttle body. You have to take out the spring and retainer from the stock TB and put in the E-Force TB. The spring has to be clocked just the right way to work or you get the 21xx codes and it won't work for crap. Always operate the throttle by hand before installing. Ask me how I know....
Well that sucks. Doesn't it use the same mounting holes as the gt500? Mono blades have driveability issues on these cars, from what I've read.

I bought the frpp throttle body because it came with everything on it, just like stock and it's been completely trouble free.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:42 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Actually, I think the E-Force throttle body is sort of similar to the Coyote TB.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Stuntman Mike

Originally Posted by moosestang
If you knew anything about the Edlebrock blower, you'd know that it comes with a throttle body. Just doing to you, what you did to him, lol! A larger throttle body does increase hp on a PD blower car, even at only 10psi. There's plenty of dyno proven results (20+hp) from people with no skin in the game.

Who makes the edlebrock throttle body? Can't you use a gt500 throttle body with the E-force?
Thank you for defending me. As discussed in a later post, the two don't match up. If they did, trust me, I'd ditch this Edelbrock TB in a heartbeat.

Not to threadjack my own thread, but nice bike. I've got an '08 1125R!

Originally Posted by jpplaw
Good observation, but the spring is clocked correctly. I checked by hand when I installed the TB last month and it's worked fine until Saturday.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

My KB came with a huge mono blade TB and I've had zero issues in almost three years. I remember having to swap parts from my stocker to the big one.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:09 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike
Thank you for defending me...
Moosestang was as much defending you as he was taking a shot at me... Which I certainly deserved. Good luck with the TB!

Quick Reply: E-Force Throttle Body WTF?!?