Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Holley Sniper intake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 04:39 PM
LukeBizzy

Default Holley Sniper intake?

Its tough finding anyone who actually uses one, but maybe someone here?

https://www.holley.com/products/inta...s/parts/829082

All I could find is that the 1st run had some really bad fitment issues, but thats supposed to be solved now. It also says you have to move the alternator & I just cant see why?? There is a bolt in support bar across the two front runners but it would be easier to modify that than move the alternator. Just dont get that one..

Sooo, any thoughts??

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2016, 06:29 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

The "choke point" in the 3v modular engine is the exhaust port/valve. Work on improving exhaust flow before worrying about the intake.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:10 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

First I've seen of it. It's sexy. Not quite as sexy as JPC, but on par with FRPP, and 100x better than C&L. Given it's design, I'd guess it's performance would be between the JPC and FRPP intakes. Higher ceiling than the FRPP with similar mid-range, but lower top end gains than the JPC. Performance aside, with a nice set of fuel rails and custom paint, it would sure be a nice piece of eye candy under the hood.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:50 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Haven't heard a whole lot about it except the following:

- Wouldn't clear the alternator (not sure if that has been fixed or not)
- It comes with fuel rails which you have to use, they are the only ones that work with it. Thought I had heard something about an issue with the fuel rail connections but I can't remember
- Being a sheet metal intake you would have to deal with heat soak.

It's cool looking, but it's yet another short runner, velocity stack-style intake that makes all the power up top.

I found one test online where they tested one on a 5.0 Coyote, it gained 35 hp up top (above 5000 RPM) and lost around 16 ft-lbs of torque on the bottom end. If I had to guess, I'd say on the 4.6 it probably performs very similarly to the Ford Racing intake aside from the fact it would get hotter since it's metal (in other words negligible gain up top, probably something like 10 hp or so over CMDP's)
Old 08-08-2016, 04:43 PM
LukeBizzy

I keep flip flopping on it. On one hand its awesome looking (to me). They do offer it in satin or black. Its cheaper than the Ford intake & looks like it would be easy to add a fogger setup on it. Or if that supercharger ever shows up I wont be worried about boost

Other hand that is nobody running one. Tuning-who knows there. Got enough issues in that area already. The quality/fit are a huge question mark also. I've never been a huge fan of Holley parts (hit & miss with my experience) so thats hanging out there also.

The JPC intake is impossible to find, so thats out.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:10 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

FWIW, as far as boost goes I read it was only good for around 10 psi.

I would wonder about the quality too- since this is most likely made in China.

But yeah, of course it's cool looking- sheet metal intakes always are. The aforementioned 5.0 test I talked about, they had it powdercoated metallic blue and it looked awesome.

I don't really know what 4.6 3V intakes are out there that you CAN still find except this one, and the FRPP unit. The C&L is out of production, thought I heard that the JPC one was too. It's slim pickins nowadays.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
I don't really know what 4.6 3V intakes are out there that you CAN still find except this one, and the FRPP unit.
Yeah there aren't any other aftermarket intake manifolds for the 4.6 3V, and I think the reason is a low volume of sales due to the fact that the stock intake manifold with CMDPs is difficult to improve upon without any trade-offs.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:30 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
Yeah there aren't any other aftermarket intake manifolds for the 4.6 3V, and I think the reason is a low volume of sales due to the fact that the stock intake manifold with CMDPs is difficult to improve upon without any trade-offs.
Well, and probably the fact that they cost $500 and up, for peak gains of 10 hp or less over a set of $50 CMDP's!

Probably also doesn't help that roots style superchargers seem to be so popular on these cars.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Looks purty but, like as already stated, the intake is not the choking point on a stock or mildly modded 4.6 or 5.0 coyote motors. Any intake manifold upgrade will yield a loss of low end power while adding some high end power, IMO not enough to justify the cost or the loss on the low end.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:50 PM
Mike Banks

Default Holley

Originally Posted by LukeBizzy
Its tough finding anyone who actually uses one, but maybe someone here?

https://www.holley.com/products/inta...s/parts/829082

All I could find is that the 1st run had some really bad fitment issues, but thats supposed to be solved now. It also says you have to move the alternator & I just cant see why?? There is a bolt in support bar across the two front runners but it would be easier to modify that than move the alternator. Just dont get that one..

Sooo, any thoughts??

Thanks!
I was the first attempt on this. Believe me its not worth it atttt allll! So many fitment issues Holley ended up giving it to me for free!

Quick Reply: Holley Sniper intake?