Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Want to push 400 to 450 Hp 4.6l without breaking thing when done

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 06:46 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Probably depends on the shop a guy would take it to. Generally speaking shops have a predetermined price for installs on everything. In my case the shop I use has given me discounts on certain appointments bc of several installs lined up. Some shops do this some don't. If you pay by cash always ask for a discount. They should be able to work with ya bit if your funding wth cash
Old 08-15-2017, 07:32 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

If the tune is good, the engine can live at that power level nearly indefinitely... which is why I say just get the Ford Racing/Whipple HO kit with the Ford Racing/Whipple stock tune. It'll give you around 450-460RWHP. Sure your clutch will wear out sooner, but it is mostly adequate, I never got clutch slippage when I had the Whipple. about the only things I'd say go for immediately are an electric water pump and an upgraded belt tensioner (like Thump racing), as the biggest problem is throwing the belt, the tensioner will mostly keep it on and the electric water pump makes it so you can safely drive it after throwing a belt without overheating. IF you are going to try to get a dead hook on your launches then there are other things in the drivetrain you need to address, but these are also issues at stock power levels... things to consider for hooking: clutch, transmission input shaft, axles, weld the axle tubes on the rear end, and of course the rods.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:26 AM
SpecOps-13@tampabay.rr.com

Thanks for a lot of good suggestions. Some of them I had suspected but some are new things for me to look into. You all have been a great help to me. Thanks...
Rather than put the money out for a newer car, I like the idea of having a faster and reliable 05 s197.
Love the body style..

Dave

Old 08-17-2017, 07:57 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a very fast 05!