Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Help! Crank, No Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 06:09 PM
BHay7

Default Help! Crank, No Start

I have an 06 GT convertible with ~125k miles, manual transmission. I was driving around 25 mph and the car lost all power when pressing on the accelerator, then completely killed. I coasted into a parking lot, let the car sit, and it started again but was idling very roughly. I left it overnight and came back the next day with a trail vehicle to follow me to autozone to get some codes read. Came back with 30+ codes. Mulitiple misfires, cylinders 3,5, and 7. Changed out the cam pos sensors and spark plugs. Car ran fine. A day later merging onto the interstate ~55-60mph car did the same thing, but this time it wouldn’t start up again. Has fuel, has spark, cranks, but no start. Changed fuel filter, crank/cam pos sensors, tps, cleaned MAF (also bypassed MAF at one point), tried spraying ether. Still nothing. Ran OBDII again and got 5 codes, all relating to throttle actuator control system and one that put ECU into a failsafe mode.

Changed the ECU with a new one and had keys programmed. Started on the first turn of the key for about 5 seconds, fluctuated in RPM, then died. Back to square one with the same symptoms as before.

Does ANYONE have any anysight to what may be going on here??
Old 12-21-2018, 06:44 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Just a stab in the dark, but maybe the throttle body needs to be replaced? If you have spark and fuel, the only other thing you need is air. and if the throttle body is not actuating then it could be cutting off the air supply.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:09 PM
BHay7

Thanks for the response. I can see the throttle actuating, but maybe there’s a problem with the electronic portion within that reads the throttle position.. I’m going to look into it soon and see what I can find. Can’t tell you how frustrating this has been lol
Old 12-22-2018, 03:40 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

The only sensor you haven't replaced, which could be the most likely culprit, is the accelerator pedal position sensor. When that fails, the engine goes into limp to the side of the road mode.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:43 PM
BHay7

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
The only sensor you haven't replaced, which could be the most likely culprit, is the accelerator pedal position sensor. When that fails, the engine goes into limp to the side of the road mode.
Will this prevent the car from starting altogether?
Old 12-23-2018, 08:06 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

The engine should restart but not necessarily right away.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:26 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Crank no start

Is there a fuel pump reset in the trunk?
Old 12-23-2018, 03:44 PM
BHay7

Good and bad news... almost 100% certain it’s fuel pressure. Added an inline fuel pump near the fuel filter to increase pressure and it started up! The bad news...ether was trapped in the manifold from a night or two prior and BOOM! Blew the bottom of the intake manifold clean off. It still ran for a while, which is remarkable. So, next plan of action is to replace the manifold ($$$) and then reassess the fuel pressure. Always something...
Old 12-23-2018, 03:46 PM
BHay7

Originally Posted by BHay7
Good and bad news... almost 100% certain it’s fuel pressure. Added an inline fuel pump near the fuel filter to increase pressure and it started up! The bad news...ether was trapped in the manifold from a night or two prior and BOOM! Blew the bottom of the intake manifold clean off. It still ran for a while, which is remarkable. So, next plan of action is to replace the manifold ($$$) and then reassess the fuel pressure. Always something...

Old 12-23-2018, 06:29 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

WOW!!!

Quick Reply: Help! Crank, No Start