Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Engine Tapping/Knocking Need Help!

Old 01-06-2019, 03:24 AM
Aatrox

Default Engine Tapping/Knocking Need Help!

Hello everyone, I've searched through mutiple forums and tried almost everything to solve the tapping noise I'm getting from my passenger side head. I've replaced the lifters and rocker arms with the Ford racing ones, replaced the oil pump and pickup with the gt500 replacement, timing components as there were broken pieces from one of the tensioner arms and one tensioner had gotten a little sheared and the tip was diagonal instead of flat, I even replaced the rod bearings even though they all looked good (since I was replacing the pickup anyways) and passenger side cam phaser, the noise doesn't sound like a knock anymore however does sound lime a very loud tapping, I cleaned the vct solenoid housing without removing it,I tried blowing compressed air through and nothing would come out of the other side of the passages so I sprayed some throttle body cleaner in some of the holes and a lot of black gunk came out and seemed to have cleared it some, i still have the noise however and need some help diagnosing what other options I have to try and get my 3 valve back on the road
Old 01-07-2019, 12:40 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

What brand of phaser did you use? It seems some of the aftermarket ones are not as good as the OEM.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:10 PM
Aatrox

I used a Dorman brand one which supposedly had the improved design
Old 01-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Aatrox

Default Knocking sound

Old 01-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

That's pretty loud and sounds like metal to metal. The fuel injectors don't look stock. (purple?) You could disconnect each fuel injector on that side one at a time. Don't do it while its idling. Shut it off, unplug one electrical connector and start it up. Yes it will cause a misfire CEL but if/when the sound goes away, you've found the loud injector.

When did the problem start?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:22 PM
Aatrox

Those are the Ford racing fuel injectors 24lb and thanks for the suggestion I'm gonna try it as soon as I can, the mustang has been out for 2 months now so I have to charge the battery
Old 01-10-2019, 05:15 PM
Aatrox

The problem started randomly 2 months ago it started as very light knock/tick and then progressively got worse
Old 01-11-2019, 01:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Some 05/06 ford escapes had a really bad tick from the cylinder head closest to the radiator (transverse mounted V6). the fix was recentering the camshaft bearing cap. Perhaps your issue is similar. Here's a link to the Escape TSB for reference, obviously not a mustang and it's a V6 but, it will give you an idea of what was done to quiet the tick. No repacement of parts was required but, you could examine the bearings when you tear down a bit and see if they need replacing (also a possibility) .

https://www.autoserviceprofessional....3-0l-ford-tick
Old 01-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Aatrox

Hi just wanted to give you a huge thanks for helping me brain storm, I searched some more forums after finally getting around to looking at my car and realizing that sound was coming from right behind the timing cover. I came to the conclusion that what I was hearing was my chain with some slack in it, I took everything apart and sure enough my upgraded tensioners had spacer plates with the hole in the wrong spot, I found someone on a f150 forum who had the same problem with the same tensioners, they just got rid of the spacers completely and bolted the tensioners straight on which is what I am doing now I'll post a pic of what the spacer plate looks like and where the hole should've been, I'll give another progress report once I have it back together
Old 01-21-2019, 11:03 AM
Aatrox

Blue is where the oil feed hole on the engine lines up and red is the original hole that was on the spacer, I removed both of my tensioners and neither were getting any oil, I feel pretty dumb for not putting it together in my mind the first time that those hole locations weren't gonna work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Tapping/Knocking Need Help!