Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:20 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Default CAI upgrade?

Ok so first off I guess I should list my mods.
C&L Street CAI
CMCV deletes
Stage 3 FRPP heads M-6049-463P/M-6050-463P
MAC shorty headers
MAC Prochamber crossover
Pypes Pype-bomb axelbacks
Tune from Bama

I believe that's all of the mods currently that are related to intake or exhaust. (though I know some don't have any impact on power)

So I'm planning to get FRPP Hot Rod cams to help wake up those stage 3 heads (really should have gotten them back when I had the heads installed but couldn't)
And to help finish it out I'm also going to get the FRPP 62mm TB, and replace the over Axle pipes with some mandrel ones.

So with getting the Cams + TB and having what I have would it add anything to upgrade from the C&L street to the C&L race? I figure it has a larger MAF.

Also slightly considering the FRPP intake manifold, but leaning toward not. (maybe next year)

Also since I have Bama lifetime tunes, I'll be getting a new tune.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:54 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Well guess the forum is pretty much dead, I remember when a post would get a reply in an hour.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:47 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Whatever amount it would add would most likely be unnoticed. You could always ask bama. I would think it wouldn't be worth the expense of switching. The TB probably isn't going to gain you much of anything with the shorty headers. Exhaust really needs to be open to get much of a gain out of the TB.

As Ford Dude stated the forums are indeed much slower now days. I initially got on here in 2007 and you would have 5 or 6 responses not long after posting during the week and more on the weekend. Social Media has certainly effected it. Consider people who sell their cars and don't get back into a mustang probably don't visit the site anymore as well. Forums are still nice. I just recently purchased a 2019 rebel. Before doing that I joined some Ram Rebel forums and learned that air ride suspension is junk in cold climates. Which makes since being its air system. Not a smart move if you live in Minnesota or ND. It would seems its such a probable that Dodge dealers in Canada don't even offer a ram with air ride suspension in the 2019 models. A lot of guys are finding out that when the warranty runs out and they still have these problems FCA isn't taking care of them. Which is going to happen until it becomes a safety issue
Old 02-09-2019, 03:44 PM
cooperriver
1st Gear Member

I have the same Cold Air Intake and I'm not going to get a new one. I have Brenspeed Detriot Rockers, C/L Street Intake, 4.10 gears, Steeda Underdrive Pullys, Mac Prochamber with cats and Mac Axlebacks. I am in the process of getting Kooks Long tube headers, Ford Racing Intake Manifold and Ford Racing Throttle Body. I remember years ago they did a test between the two the Racer and the one you specified and the regular one and there was no difference at all. Hope this is long enough to post. Before they said it wasn't long enough. This new format is stupid. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmm
Old 02-09-2019, 06:31 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I'd say your not likely to see any difference between the 2 intakes when naturally aspirated.
Technically, with the throttle body (dual 62mm) there is more cross sectional opening than the MAF when it is at 85mm, but becomes a restriction for the 93mm MAF.
The 85mm is about 6% less cross sectional area than the throttle body, the 93mm has 12% more cross sectional area.
These percentages won't likely translate in a linear manner into power. and most of the benefit of the 93mm would be wasted.
I think the cams will be the biggest bang for buck here since the stage 3 heads are ported and the cam lift and duration is limiting you power the most... But I would look into something other than the hotrods that is a "springs required" cams that are designed for performance gains more than the sound profile.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:30 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll forgo the CAI upgrade for now.

I'd rather stick to cam's that don't require spring replacement, for a few reasons. (1. springs add to the labor costs, 2. add to the parts cost, 3. likely would require phaser limiters)

Also I'm not getting Long Tubes because I don't want to be stuck swapping them every year for inspection (IE if the rear O2's are switched off then the test fails, if they're on but take to long to warm up as happens with LT's then it's fail) the Shorties I have are a good improvement over the stock manifolds.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:46 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude
Well guess the forum is pretty much dead, I remember when a post would get a reply in an hour.
I remember when Google and Yahoo were invented, as a means to look **** up...

OR, I remember when people actually did the math...

Old 02-12-2019, 02:26 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude
That's probably because many 3V Mustang owners have either moved on to Coyote 5.0 models or bought other cars.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
I remember when Google and Yahoo were invented, as a means to look **** up...

OR, I remember when people actually did the math...
Well not many have stage 3 heads so there aren't many dyno pages out there that would show what I'm looking for.

The TB's are normally done as supporting mods, in my case supporting the CAMs I plan to get. Also the only reason I'm considering the CAI upgrade is with pretty much all else that can gain power NA at that point I figure the CAI upgrade might be worth it. But clearly the finer points of that escape you.

Last edited by Ford_Dude; 02-12-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:27 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Math and Figures never escape me, and the numbers don't lie... People want to believe they do,
but they don't...

Cubic Inches & MAX RPM to get engine's max intake CMF (there is a formula) -vs- what the intake and filter allow, and so forth....
SO, if the intake doesn't allow the CMF the engine needs, then I don't buy it, and the stock intake is well over what the engine
needs... So, yeah, MATH, it's easy, so I don't waste my money on WARM air intakes, you know, the kind where, when you
open your hood, and "Oh, hello CONE filter, I see you..." The STOCK system is a CAI... SO, I am not going to waste
money on a CAI until the math shows me it will help...

SO, now lets throw in some CAMS and a TUNE, and oh, the N/A engine's CMF, still doesn't change...
Bigger intake valves? Well now, that's different.... Duration and lift do not change CMF either, just volume.

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 02-12-2019 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: CAI upgrade?