MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions-69/)
-   -   Transmissions: Manual & Auto Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/87806-transmissions-manual-and-auto-tech.html)

Mustangansta 02-22-2007 02:36 AM

RE: Transmissions: Manual & Auto Tech

a couple quick questions for a clueless 06 auto v8 guy

- do i really need a trans brake to drag race -

- can someone give a quick explaination regarding changing the torque converter - and expecially the cost of doing so -

- and will i have to retune to do so - runing SCT tune now -

roadwarror180 04-22-2007 02:35 AM

what other transmissoin will fit in a 05 other than the tr3650

5.0 beast 05-24-2007 03:22 AM

[align=left]hey everyone im new, i got a ? i'm wondering if a93 cobra tranny can fit in a 88 gt w/o changing the rear end?

[/align]

stangoil 06-24-2007 12:51 AM

mytransmission on the floor andI twistered the input shaft.
any thoughts to an after market automatic transmission sealed peice of crap not fixable unless I send it to ford red flags will go up after that

TRIGGER1980 07-08-2007 06:56 PM

Hi all,

Car: 2005, Mustang GT, AUTO, Supercharger (Procharger D1SC) Approx 550hp

I was driving normally down the Rd the other day and i heard a bang from under the car. All of a sudden when i put the accelerator down nothing happened.. I pulled over and dried to put it in reverse and drive, then 1st but it just revs in each gear and does not move.. I cant take the car to a shop till tomorrow so wont be then till ford open her up.. I had her on a ramp and there does not appear to be any visible damage to anything, which would point towards the transmission.. I asked a few people there thoughts and they said the transmission has probably gone and i will have to replace it.. Ouch!!!

My ford will only replace it with a stock transmission, but as for as i can see, the stock transmission will only break again in time. What do u guys advise i do? I live in Dubai, UAE, Middle east and i don’t get the best advice out here and really rely on forums like this to keep my educated...

Where can i get a strengthened/ upgraded transmission? How much?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

Mark

Rustan 07-18-2007 08:38 AM

Trigger, I would bet your tranny itself is fine and you just twisted off your input shaft. I know a guy with a supercharged 06 that had the exact same thing happen to him between like 4-5 shift. Said he heard a bang and lost power. Unfortunately I don't think theymake a stronger piece yet.

clix813 07-20-2007 03:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Rustan

Trigger, I would bet your tranny itself is fine and you just twisted off your input shaft. I know a guy with a supercharged 06 that had the exact same thing happen to him between like 4-5 shift. Said he heard a bang and lost power. Unfortunately I don't think theymake a stronger piece yet.
there is a kit that replaces the auto trany with the 4R70W which is a much stronger tranny. i just saw a write up on it in the new modified mustangs mag.

Ralphnet 07-28-2007 10:07 PM

Hi, I have a 2006 Mustang automatic V8 It snaps into reverse and it moves forward like it's in third gear. It did have some damage to the right frtnt in a crash. It only has 14,000 miles on it. Any answers? Thanhs Ralph

mcburns36 08-03-2007 11:38 AM

Has anybody tried thePA Trans Deep Transmission Pan with filler tube ? I really hate the idea of not being able to check my auto trans oil on a regular basis.

rygenstormlocke 08-03-2007 12:04 PM

I'm running the PA deep transmission pan. So are a few others, works fine...only draw back is it sits so low, that even un lowered, I still scrape it on speed bumps.

ccwebb 10-11-2007 12:15 PM

Hello All,

I am currently considering an auto Mustang but I'm a total novice when it comes to the technical aspects of transmissions and upgrades. My question is whether I should go with an auto? The car will be a daily driver but of course I still want the car to perform. I don't mind investing in after market parts to achieve this but I don't know what is required, the ballpark costs or what would be achieved.

Thanks for your help in figuring this out.

lowrider02 11-20-2007 09:39 AM

Looking for some help on my 2007 GT 5-speed with 3.13 stock gears. When shifting, the RPMs race up a bit in between gears when the clutch pedal is pressed and foot off the gas. Themore I accelerate, the more the RPMs float up in between gears. Is this common? The car only has 4800 miles on it and the dealer doesn't know how to address it since they said the computer is controlling this.Everything checks out on their analyzer. This doesn't seem to occur when downshifting.

Another thing I noticed is when in 5th gear at approximayely 70 mph and 1800-1900 RPM, there's a slight droning sound. The sound quickly goes away when I hit 2000 RPM and doesn't occur in 5th gear prior to 1800 RPM. Are these common characteristics of the car?

Need help from someone with experience on this issue or if this is normal. Any comments are appreciated.

Thief_of_Hearts 12-22-2007 01:34 AM

why do people buy performance shifters? like the BM or pistol grip types,do they serve any real purpose or just look cool?

when launching a high hp(450-490) rwd auto like the GT do you guys bust loose the tires and still loose traction when it's shifting gears under wot like a manual or are they a little more civilized?

love the 'idea' of having a high hp auto but don't have a clear picture in my mind of how one actually drives.

How fast are the auto GTs stock? in terms of feel?

are the tops speeds limited or does it slow down after about 120 or so like most autos regardless of the 145 tachometer?

with 4:10s/tune/trq converter,intake/full exhaust does it really help open up the auto??
and would it be enough to hold someone off til getting a bigger mod,like say a super charger kit?

casperorr 04-29-2008 01:03 AM

I have a 2007 Mustang Gt which I upgraded with a Saleen 475 SC, and FR 4:10 gears, Axle back exhaust, SCT 2 running a Brenspeed/Saleen 91octane Tune/ fine tuned on Dyno. Running 285/40/18 NITTO 555's on the rear and 255/45/18 NITTO 555's on the front. My car runs strong and very impressive, but I would like to get more performance out of the automatic transmission. I should have purchased a manual, but I didn't. I have been looking at the TCI Streetfighter package, but I would like to find someone who has either upgraded to better automatic performance or changed out to the TCI Streetfighter package.
Or if you all have any ideas for automatic transmission performance, please reply to this post.

Thank you,
Keith

charged13 06-30-2008 03:01 PM

my dad has a 2005 gt with a 76 mm turbo. he had been having trouble with 2nd and 3rd gear and this past week racing he finally lost it. he is planning on putting on a 5spd. is this the best way to go and if so any ideas on where to get a quality tranny for a decent price?

casperorr 07-01-2008 12:09 AM

Charged13,
Has he always had problems with his automatic? Even before he installed the turbo? Do you do allot of track racing (1/4 mile), or allot of street play? At the time I had my Saleen SC installed there was another Mustang GT, 2006 if my memory is right, in the next bay getting a transmission swap. There was nothing wrong with the 2006 automatic tranny, the guy just wanted to convert over to a manual transmission. It was allot of work, according to the shop. And the price was , High $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. But this guy has done allot of other mod's to his Mustang GT, and he can definitely afford it. As for me, I will stick to my automatic. I have heard pro's and con's concerning this question about transmissions = manual or auto.
Although, to do my purchase all over again, I would definitely only purchase a manual next time. Sorry I can not help you more. But I will stay close to this thread, forI am very interested in the answers you get.

Thanks,
Casper

Simon1 07-01-2008 12:49 AM

For those who are breaking or twisting their input shafts on their manual trannies, the 10 spline input shaft can be replaced with a 26 spline unit. This is the main weak link in the 3650.

Vapor2008 07-05-2008 05:54 PM

Hi guys i just bought an 08 mustang gt a few months ago. This is my first mustang and i want to do some work to it. Want to make it faster with a better job off the line. Can anyone suggest some options i have to do this. its an automatic. thank you...

MasterMike 07-05-2008 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Vapor2008

Hi guys i just bought an 08 mustang gt a few months ago. This is my first mustang and i want to do some work to it. Want to make it faster with a better job off the line. Can anyone suggest some options i have to do this. its an automatic. thank you...
CAI and tune..You can't go wrong with that...You should buy a package from BamaChips, like the C&L CAI and SCT X3 tuner....I bought it and it rocks!

07musclemustang 11-05-2008 09:33 PM

wow nobody answered this question,
5 speed owners, the small hole on the bottom of the bellhousing is the inspection hole. you can make a very "mild" inspection to the clutch assembly and yes to vent and allow gasses and particles to escape.

RetroGT2006 11-20-2008 08:07 AM

I know my 2006 GT was woken up with that SCT flash, i had Evolution Performance do the tune- but man! Shift points are great, shifts nice and firm(when it was stock at WOT you couldnt tell it was changing gears it was soo smooth).. my car can chirp from 1-2 and 2-3.. in an auto.. and form a dig, light um up till redline in 2nd.. pretty impressive for a stock gt with intake/ axelbacks and tune..

g_coop 12-08-2008 09:40 PM

Just bought a gt and learned how to drive a manual the same day. Any beginner tricks I can do to get more comfortable with the car. Did a burn out once when I got stuck on a hill (it at least looked kick az)but nothin beyond that.

07musclemustang 12-08-2008 10:13 PM

always try to match RPM when you shift.... let the motor slow down before letting out the clutch on the upshift and popping the throotle on the downshift. also dont try to powershift this trans... you'll blow it up in no time

chuck biscuits 01-22-2009 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by lowrider02 (Post 4178462)
Looking for some help on my 2007 GT 5-speed with 3.13 stock gears. When shifting, the RPMs race up a bit in between gears when the clutch pedal is pressed and foot off the gas. Themore I accelerate, the more the RPMs float up in between gears. Is this common? The car only has 4800 miles on it and the dealer doesn't know how to address it since they said the computer is controlling this.Everything checks out on their analyzer. This doesn't seem to occur when downshifting.

Another thing I noticed is when in 5th gear at approximayely 70 mph and 1800-1900 RPM, there's a slight droning sound. The sound quickly goes away when I hit 2000 RPM and doesn't occur in 5th gear prior to 1800 RPM. Are these common characteristics of the car?

Need help from someone with experience on this issue or if this is normal. Any comments are appreciated.

My 08 does the very same thing between shifts. Don't know if that's normal or not.

07musclemustang 01-22-2009 08:28 PM

there is drone in the motor that is excentuated by most aftermarket exhausts. at 1800-2k is where it is most prelevent. If you hate drone get a mid muff system and it will (almost) disapear.

ezking 02-22-2009 10:17 AM

The optimum rpm range for a gt is 2100-2400 rpms I believe. That drone is ur car lugging. Don't drive it like a sbc.

When u hit certain lvls of torque that noise goes away, but that's an indicator that u need to down shift or speed up.

Edit: oops u got a 3valve, not sure if this is true for them too.
Ill l2read nxt time.

Also ur car stops making power @ 5250, so don't shift at 6k, shift at 5500 and ull get more out of it

rheat 06-16-2009 09:46 AM

Does anyone know the gear ratio for a 5sp manual transmission in a 2006 mustang gt?

texasstang1962 07-28-2009 10:56 AM

need some back up.

ok, i have an 08 gt 3v-auto. some of the guys at work are busting my b%lls for having an automatic, but i love it, i drove a 4cyl stick- toyota p/u for 20yrs,i'm sick of shifting, i call it "clutch foot" it felt so good to have an auto, no shifting AWWWW feels so nice. And my stang " I feel, runs great" i have Vortech v3 s-trim, dyno sheet reads, 439hp -stock h-pipe. Is my tranny weak or something, should i have a different stahl conv installed, or what. can someone tell me that my auto trans is a good strong one for an 08, please tell me something good about my tranny, so i can print it out and show the guys @ work that my 08 automatic trans is not a weakling.
( Or,,,are they right ) ?
Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

Riptide 07-28-2009 12:19 PM

If it helps you feel better the automatic is more consistent and much easier to use at a drag strip than the manual. Most people will tell you that the auto is going to win you more races, even on the street.

texasstang1962 07-29-2009 01:37 AM

That does make me feel better. I do need to concentrait on a higher stahl converter though.

Sleep Deprived 08-11-2009 03:21 PM

You don't need a higher stall. It'll get you lower 1/4 mile times, but it will also kill your MPG and make your car "feel" more sluggish on the street...unless of course you're stomp on it, then you'll take off like a bat outta hell! Besides, without additional cooling a high stall isn't the best thing for your transmission. I guess if you really want one it all depends on how high a stall you go with, mine is 3500 and I can't recommend it for a street car. If I could do it again I wouldn't go any higher than 3000. Just my opinion.

As for the transmission, I hate the damn thing. There are guys who are running serious power through the stock 5R55S with no problems (yet), but it's been a nightmare for me. Next time I need a rebuild I junking this POS and going with a 4R70W.

gils maui pony 08-12-2009 03:30 PM

clutch hip!

I've been driving a cj-7 for 10 yrs and my hip is due for replacement! so when I decided to hunt for a GT I liked the prospect of an AUTO.

However, I got an 06 auto with a 5s55w and after 2 weeks I wanted to drive it off the pier.

problem is the dog gone shift lag, shift when ever it wants to blues, the new dynamic since putting in a tuner is "double shifting".....and finally..... boredom.

when I bought it the dealer stated the lag is a charactoristic of the car...OK fine, I dont like it and what can I do to step it up....they recommended a reprogramming kit from transgo and $600 for the install....Done.....

3/4 pinned great responce! cruizing speed--eratic! ...... OK fine now what? BamachipsCAI/tuner.... OK fine, again 3/4 throttle ---get out of the way, cruizing same dynamic with a sprinkling of "double shifting"!.....F*#+&!!

just yesterday I got installed 4.10s.....I dont think it will effect the trans much but at least the trill of the launch will offset the disapointment of this Auto.

My wife drives an 09 626 auto and the transition between gears at ANY speed is music...

I love my GT otherwise! ...thats the problem, everything else is perfect, the size, the the looks, the power..... I wipe it down every night, its almost therapy...

I agree with the other fella, this trans does not meet my standards and I havent started yet but I'm going to look into another Trans...

in passing has anyone heard from Doug at BAMA? i've been trying to contact him for 10 days...

Aloha,
Gil

BigSkyLLC 09-03-2009 12:55 AM

Any recent threads on T56 swap?

phatkat 05-16-2010 02:41 PM

I'm resurrecting this old post - I want to see if anyone can answer gils maui pony's trans question. I'm very curious, because I'm getting a 06 GT with the 5s55w tranny, and hope I don't have problems like this!

tx_zstang 05-25-2010 12:02 PM

A few TCI upgrades you can do to your 5R55S automatic, for extra strength where it needs it most:

TCI Billet Servo kit part# 576005 $80
TCI Billet Servo kit part# 576006 $80
TCI hardened input shaft part# 579600 $175

(prices are approximate and may vary).

The servo kits come complete with billet servos, new covers, and seals.
You need a way to compress the covers and snap-ring pliers to remove the ring holding the covers in place. I used a big bar clamp for one of the covers, and made a jig for the other.

The input shaft is easy to replace, once the converter is out: pull it out and slide the new one in. The shaft has shorter gear teeth on the back end; that's the end that goes into the transmission. The end with longer teeth goes into the converter. Look at the stock one as you pull it out, one side has longer teeth than the other.

Input shaft:
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...s/S2010621.jpg

Overdrive servo kit:
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...s/S2010622.jpg

Installed: (The brass fitting out the side of the pan is a custom dipstick tube.)
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...s/S2010628.jpg

(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with TCI, just posting up use of their stuff on my ride.)

mike stefaniak 06-17-2010 12:01 PM

can anyone tell me about how well a rousch stage 3 engine works with auto trans.there is 1 for sale,is this possible,can trans. handle it.it is supercharged

UltraKla$$ic 07-11-2010 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by texasstang1962 (Post 6379268)
ok, i have an 08 gt 3v-auto. some of the guys at work are busting my b%lls for having an automatic, but i love it, i drove a 4cyl stick- toyota p/u for 20yrs,i'm sick of shifting, i call it "clutch foot" it felt so good to have an auto, no shifting AWWWW feels so nice. And my stang " I feel, runs great" i have Vortech v3 s-trim, dyno sheet reads, 439hp -stock h-pipe. Is my tranny weak or something, should i have a different stahl conv installed, or what. can someone tell me that my auto trans is a good strong one for an 08, please tell me something good about my tranny, so i can print it out and show the guys @ work that my 08 automatic trans is not a weakling.
( Or,,,are they right ) ?
Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

I too came from driving a standard for years. Tell your buddies to piss off! If I want my car to go, just mash the freakin pedal. Forget shifting.. I ain't going back. Then again, I usually text, eat, shave, get dressed for work, read the newspaper, and sleep while driving so my Auto suits me just fine.:icon_slap2:

LOL!!

hammer1981 10-02-2011 12:53 PM

what is needed to swap a auto to manual for a 2006 mustang gt

keysflier 10-18-2011 10:48 AM

No backup (reverse) lights

My ride is a 97 GT 4.6L with the T-45 five-speed transmission. Recently installed an aftermarket short-throw shifter. Readjusted the shifter soon after installation to get more solid shift into reverse. Transmission shifts into reverse easily now - most of the time - still jumps out occasionally if I don't make sure it's securely seated.

Thought I had this whole problem fixed, then discovered I have no backup lights. My 'spidey sense' is telling me the throw into revesre is still falling a little short and I'm not making contact on the switch that controls these lights, but I don't know if I can make an external adjustment or if this is something I have to tear into the gear box for.

Any ideas?

Tim2005 10-23-2011 10:24 AM

im looking into replacing stock shifter with a steeda or pro 5.0 i called matt over at dasilva racing and he went on to tell me that every shifter hes tried has been to sloppy and that he put his stock shifter back in and runs low 10's off the stock tranny set up...any one else find this to be a problem..sloppy aftermarket shifters? he did say he favours the hurst though