MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions-69/)
-   -   Transmissions: Manual & Auto Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/87806-transmissions-manual-and-auto-tech.html)

Dan04COBRA 01-14-2006 07:15 PM

Transmissions: Manual & Auto Tech

Are you looking for information on your 5 speed manual? Or are you looking to find out what you can do to make your automatic more fun to drive?

Please post information pertaining to the 5 Speed transmission found in 05/06 Mustangs and post information regarding the automatics & what modifications - stall/shift kit/tuners/oil coolers are recommended!

rygenstormlocke 01-14-2006 11:48 PM

RE: Transmissions: Manual & Auto Tech

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Are you looking for information on your 5 speed manual? Or are you looking to find out what you can do to make your automatic more fun to drive?

Please post information pertaining to the 5 Speed transmission found in 05/06 Mustangs and post information regarding the automatics & what modifications - stall/shift kit/tuners/oil coolers are recommended!
4.10s and my SCT XCAL2 fixed my auto right up.

spyder7724 01-15-2006 01:09 AM

auto's are fun! especially with a good tune(sctxcal2) and a good converter(TCI 3000rpm minimun, mine is 3800stall).

best run so far 13.089 @103.03 before(hp267@5550 tq273@4450) tuning for converter.

hp #'s after tuning on a mustang dyno 282hp@5550rpm and 322ft.lb. tq@3300rpm.

60'=1.840 on stock pirellis. before converter 60'=2.05

i strongly suggest a good converter for you auto guys. you can't believe the difference it will make. i can burn the tires off through 3rd gear!!!

PCPONY44 01-22-2006 02:05 AM

spyder,
Just picked up a box stock '05 GT today. Love it after about 150mi today.. Car has 3k mi on it and was babied. Shift points seem a little mushy to me at WOT, although a lot more fun than my old '62 Impala w/a 2 spd Powerslide. Does the xcal2 help the auto by itself w/the stock gears? Thinking of that and the c&l intake as about as far as I want to go right now..
Nice ride Man..

PC

Pyrat 01-24-2006 03:23 PM

PC,

The XCal2 tune will greatly improve your transmission performance. It will modify shift points, shift firmness, throttle lag, etc. You can visit sctflash.com for additional information and you may find their forums very helpful. In a pinch, I have called SCT and they were very helpful in person as well.

spyder7724 02-03-2006 12:50 AM

pyrat took the words out of my mouth. sct xcal2 is the way to go for an auto. next consider that converter. it makes an incredible difference applying torque to the wheels. that's what has allowed me to dyno at 322ft. lbs. torque on a mustang dyno at that! on a dynojet it would be over 350ft.lbs.

blackfoot 03-01-2006 12:31 AM

i plan on putting a T56 tranny in my car.. my only issue is the ****er linkage and the bellhousing ? can anyone shed some light?

Professor Wizard 03-01-2006 04:50 PM

While your talking about Transmissions...

IF it is an automatic, don't forget to scan the Torque Converter thread as well.

https://mustangforums.com/m_1062448/tm.htm

;)

blackfoot 03-14-2006 10:27 PM

the T56 is the 6 speed manual.. its hte same tranny found in the cobras, and the new GT500 comming.. its also stockin supras, and other exoctics

1sicpony 03-26-2006 07:27 PM

i have 3.73 gears, MAC CAI, preditor tuner in 05 auto can anyone offer comment on changing shift points to help until torq converter can be swapped for a higher stall ? is the TCI converter a good product ? or will any 3000 to 3500 converter sufice?

blackfoot 03-28-2006 11:35 PM

increase your governer pressure.. (i think its just line pressure in the tuner )

matko 05-23-2006 04:30 AM

Here's a thread on a T56 swap...

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2...-me-50929.html

matko 05-23-2006 04:37 AM

never mind. I'm a newbie.

W1ldcat 05-23-2006 11:37 AM

I got a tune and was impressed at the shift performance at WOT. It really barks the tires into 2nd now. I do need to call and see how to change it so it shifts differently when not at full or 3/4 throttle. When taking off at a normal rate it shifts into 2nd almost at once and 3rd by 30mph. Probably helps mileage, but I want it to diffrent..

blackfoot 05-23-2006 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: W1ldcat

I got a tune and was impressed at the shift performance at WOT. It really barks the tires into 2nd now. I do need to call and see how to change it so it shifts differently when not at full or 3/4 throttle. When taking off at a normal rate it shifts into 2nd almost at once and 3rd by 30mph. Probably helps mileage, but I want it to diffrent..

lol automatics do that on thier own, you may not realize it but, you could me cruising at 5pmh, and really your in 5th.. when you get on the throtle, throtle pressure overcomes governer pressure, (pressure built up relative to speed determins what gear youll go in) and youll drop to the gear that youd get the most go from (to maximize rpms in the shortest gear) at 5mph and you were to pin it,youd probobly drop back to 1st

W1ldcat 05-23-2006 09:15 PM

Yes, but the SCT I believe can program them to shift upon take off at specified rpm or MPH.

dtuna42 06-02-2006 12:44 AM

Questions for anyone who installed a higher speed torque converter:

What's normal drivability like?

What's best street stall speed with 3.73's but that will also help with racing?

What's involved in installation? And/or cost of installation?

Is anything else, besides the converter, needed to do the swap?

What kind of performance difference is there?!

Thanks!

StanG n StaLLioN 06-05-2006 01:19 AM

hey
possibility that any1 can answer this question for me??..ive gotta 06 mustang gt..auto trans..ive been lookin into converting my car to stick...i know the 06mustang GT uses a tremec tr-3650 5-speed manual transmission, but i havnt been able to see it bein sold at all..im also unaware if this idea of transmission conversion is gonna be possible with the model and year that my car is..can anyone give me any feedback on this idea? is it possible? if it is, i'd love for help and backup info on this.. thanx a lot guys

Black 06' GT
eibach spring lowering kit
18" maxxim rims
borla axle-backs
bbk shorty headers
bbk CAI
roush quarter window louvers

[IMG]local://upfiles/38041/4B642806079C4D40AA0D9DFF2715D1C3.jpg[/IMG]

W1ldcat 06-05-2006 08:39 AM

Check www.ddperformance.com I saw they had an ad in MM&FF..

Liam1694u 06-27-2006 10:55 AM

Auto Transmission question.

Already searched the forum and could not find an answer.
Ford advertises it as a 5-speed Automatic. From what i have found out about the transmission online, it seems to be a four speed transmission+OD.
(with the OD being the 5th gear).

So my question: Is the AutoTrans in the 05-06 Mustang?:

4-speed + OD

or

5-speed + OD

P.S. New to the forum, just bought a Legend Lime V6 + Pony Package on Friday. Extremely Happy:D

W1ldcat 06-27-2006 12:48 PM

4 + OD

P Zero 06-27-2006 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: dtuna42

Questions for anyone who installed a higher speed torque converter:

What's normal drivability like?

What's best street stall speed with 3.73's but that will also help with racing?

What's involved in installation? And/or cost of installation?

Is anything else, besides the converter, needed to do the swap?

What kind of performance difference is there?!

Thanks!
Drivability - The trans will feel like its slipping until you reach its stall speed.

Stall speed - Its based more on your motor rather than your gear, for the street ideal is in the 2800-3500 stall speed.

Installation - Nothing special just the same as a regular torque convertor (always fill the convertor before hookin it up to the flexplate)

Performance - Its a great improvement over the stock one, it allows the trans to "slip" a little bit until it gets to a higher torque range, therefore you can get better launches and your car wont bog down in the low RPM's.

-P.

lynwood78 07-09-2006 07:01 AM

When I'm about to reach a stop, my RPM's seems to bounce up a little bit. Is that normal when the car is tuned? It does it all the time.

jjsj38 07-10-2006 11:01 PM

Question..........
Is it harmful to my automatic trans to be shifting it manually all time??

jjsj38 07-13-2006 12:43 PM

does anyone know if you can damage your trans by upshifting manually??

retfr8flyr 07-13-2006 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: jjsj38

No damage.

blackfoot 07-22-2006 12:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Liam1694u

Auto Transmission question.

Already searched the forum and could not find an answer.
Ford advertises it as a 5-speed Automatic. From what i have found out about the transmission online, it seems to be a four speed transmission+OD.
(with the OD being the 5th gear).

So my question: Is the AutoTrans in the 05-06 Mustang?:

4-speed + OD

or

5-speed + OD

P.S. New to the forum, just bought a Legend Lime V6 + Pony Package on Friday. Extremely Happy:D

5th is overdrive, on teh conventional auto's 4th is OD.. ODjust means the gear ratio is that the car moves faster than the output of the motor.. typically 4th is 1:1 ratio on manuals. and 5th may be like .86:1 which is an overdrive, if you look at it your way. 5 speed manuals the 5th gear is an overdrive

btw welcome to the board

blackfoot 07-22-2006 01:01 AM

ORIGINAL: jjsj38

no but its a waste of your time, your car will shift faster and more efficiently before you could click it to the next gear.. those manual gears are there to say you towing a load and your going up a hill. click it to 2,1, or LO whatever it may be, youll get upthat hill alot easier

blackfoot 07-22-2006 01:03 AM

ORIGINAL: StanG n StaLLioN

hey
possibility that any1 can answer this question for me??..ive gotta 06 mustang gt..auto trans..ive been lookin into converting my car to stick...i know the 06mustang GT uses a tremec tr-3650 5-speed manual transmission, but i havnt been able to see it bein sold at all..im also unaware if this idea of transmission conversion is gonna be possible with the model and year that my car is..can anyone give me any feedback on this idea? is it possible? if it is, i'd love for help and backup info on this.. thanx a lot guys

Black 06' GT
eibach spring lowering kit
18" maxxim rims
borla axle-backs
bbk shorty headers
bbk CAI
roush quarter window louvers

[IMG]local://upfiles/38041/4B642806079C4D40AA0D9DFF2715D1C3.jpg[/IMG]
check out your local ford parts.. your looking at probobly 3g's for the transmission.. and when you sell your automatic, it will make up for a good chunk of cash

TeflonDon 08-10-2006 06:20 AM

I have a question, are a stall converter and a torque converter the same thing? I have an auto gt with a diablo tune, I've been looking for a torque converter, but have no luck finding one online. Does anyone know where to get one? Also, the reason i was asking about the stall converter is, i want to get comp cams at https://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv8compcam.htm but for the stage III that i want they say i need at least a 2400+ stall converter and 3.73 gears. I have the 3.73 gears, but i have no clue what a stall converter is.

cfr865 08-12-2006 11:56 PM

Does increasing the line pressure in the a/t as many tunes do cause any long term damage or wear. At least I think it's the line pressure increase that causes the trans. to shift much hasher then stock. I don't know much about an a/t.

Arrow 08-21-2006 11:00 PM

Question (I think this is the right-place for it...)

I've got a rental Mustang (I bought one, but I'm still waiting for it to come in [should be here any day! *heeheehee*])...Anyway, I've got a rental so I'm like, I'm gonna torture this thing to death...do'n stuff I would probably never do to my own.

Anyway, sometimes in traffic, when going about 45-55mph, and the idiot in front of me slows down (for no reason) I drop the auto into 3rd to let the engine slow me down, rather than pushing the breaks. I'm guessing the computer wouldn't let it downshift if it was dangerous for the transmission, right? So if it downshifts, can I assume it's still okay? I'm not really sure what the recommended RPM/MPH is for 3rd in the 'Stang.

I figure if it upchucks its trany on me, I was bad....very very bad....

cekim 08-21-2006 11:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Arrow
Anyway, sometimes in traffic, when going about 45-55mph, and the idiot in front of me slows down (for no reason) I drop the auto into 3rd to let the engine slow me down, rather than pushing the breaks. I'm guessing the computer wouldn't let it downshift if it was dangerous for the transmission, right? So if it downshifts, can I assume it's still okay? I'm not really sure what the recommended RPM/MPH is for 3rd in the 'Stang.

I figure if it upchucks its trany on me, I was bad....very very bad....
55 in 3rd won't hurt anything, but the trans won't stop you from doing something stupid...

reverse makes it tough (but not impossible), there is no computer control over the gears (I assume we are talking about a manual? - right?)

Caveat Shiftor...

Arrow 08-21-2006 11:59 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: cekim

...(I assume we are talking about a manual? - right?)...
Nah, automatic. With the auto I have shift access to 1, 2, and 3. I thought the computer (or whatever) that controls the shifting, makes a judgement on whether or not it's okay to move to a gear, so even if you move the shift lever, it doesn't mean it will immediately shift gears.

cekim 08-22-2006 01:26 AM

ORIGINAL: cekim

...(I assume we are talking about a manual? - right?)...
Nah, automatic. With the auto I have shift access to 1, 2, and 3. I thought the computer (or whatever) that controls the shifting, makes a judgement on whether or not it's okay to move to a gear, so even if you move the shift lever, it doesn't mean it will immediately shift gears.

Ahh, well, then I have to plead ignorance, but from past auto tranny's I would not trust it not to do what you say instead of what you mean...

wakebord99 09-03-2006 12:45 AM

06 5spd.. Do you know what kind of trans fluid this car comes with (Synthetic, traditional?)

Has anyone has tried Royal Purple in their manual trans yet?

06hoss 09-07-2006 09:59 PM

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here and have what might be a dumb question, but here goes. I was under my car the other day (06 GT, 5 speed) and I noticed that the bellhousing has a square hole in the bottom of it that it large enough to put my finger into. Is this supposed to be there? One side of the hole was a little jagged, but it could just be casting flash. I was concerned since I smoked my clutch a little getting it up on the ramps (boy did that stink) since I was working three pedals with two feet so Iwouldn't overshoot the ramps. I hope I didn't knock out a thin part of the bellhousing somehow. Please let me know. Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/13A0034A1D694393877F10487C4A5633.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/A2BBE24A3C174C089378859119EA00FD.jpg[/IMG]

Skrewdriver 10-26-2006 12:39 AM

I read on a forum recently that B&M is getting ready to release a ratchet style shifter for the 2005+ automatic tranny. Can anyone confirm this or provide me with a link for further info? I did a google search but couldnt find anything. If this is true, I am gonna keep my auto. If not, I may trade it in for a stick.

genmex2 11-05-2006 01:28 PM

Hi , I´m a newbee and I live in Monterrey, Mexico, I have the idea of buying a 2007 v8 Standard Mustang, I would like to know your opinion or your experience on the manual transmision used in these late models, Has anybody had any problems with the "synchronizers"(excuse my english please) or with the shifting, in the past I had a manual sc thunderbird and every 4 months I had to take my car to the shop to get them repaired, I just don´t want to make a mistake, Could someone help me with my decision. I´d really like to buy the manual transmision.:) Thanks

jimSD63 11-09-2006 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: 06hoss

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here and have what might be a dumb question, but here goes. I was under my car the other day (06 GT, 5 speed) and I noticed that the bellhousing has a square hole in the bottom of it that it large enough to put my finger into. Is this supposed to be there? One side of the hole was a little jagged, but it could just be casting flash. I was concerned since I smoked my clutch a little getting it up on the ramps (boy did that stink) since I was working three pedals with two feet so Iwouldn't overshoot the ramps. I hope I didn't knock out a thin part of the bellhousing somehow. Please let me know. Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/13A0034A1D694393877F10487C4A5633.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/A2BBE24A3C174C089378859119EA00FD.jpg[/IMG]
I have it too. I think it's there for venting or to let any clutch dust fall out or something like that.