4 Cylinder General Discussion For non tech 4 Cylinder owner chit chat

Updates

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:12 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Default Updates

Well guys, after driving around for close to 500km's on "No Hands" I've fallen in love with it

I love the power it has now, the control, the ability to make your friends look like slow **** because when boost kicks in the car moves

I have NO regrets doing the swap now, I'm happier than ever

I only have a few bugs to work out (vibration at cruising speed (75mph) and the speedometer is off 10-13km/h)

I recommend the swap to EVERYONE who wants good power with good mileage. I'm getting around 27 mpg with some light boosting, 29-32 mpg without boosting, and maybe 15 mpg when I'm loving the boost

I LOVE MY CAR

so anyone got tips for the vibration? I know it's only present at 70+ mph so I'm thinking suspension or driveshaft.

also the 3.97 first gear and 3.73 rear makes for interesting turns if I need to hammer it down
Old 10-23-2008, 10:43 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

Check rear suspension bushings. Also I had vibration at lower speed. I was using a 5speed driveshaft with that big deadweight at the trans. I borrowed a Ford Motorsport alumium driveshaft. It left so I ordered one. Expensive, ie more than I paid for my car body but worth it. I assume rear trans mount good and mounted properly. I assume proper alignment and highspeed balanced tires. Lot of fun. Almost as much fun as a MG.
Severl sites list proper trans gear for rearend ratio and tire size. That is easy problem to solve. You and me both know a 2.3 turbo sway is not a taken lightly swap. The swap is easy. Making it right now that is where the skill and fun is.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:34 PM
fordsbestcar
3rd Gear Member

wow i haven't been on in forever. good to hear the car works. mines gonna prob need a new clutch in about 5k miles.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:08 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

My car did that for a while. Turned out that one wheel was so minorly out of balance that it only vibrated at high speeds. Made for an easy fix.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Boost Gobbler
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRBOPWR
My car did that for a while. Turned out that one wheel was so minorly out of balance that it only vibrated at high speeds. Made for an easy fix.
bingo, thats what id check first, get your wheels balanced.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 PM
al_ngl
4th Gear Member

Congratulations on getting the car (at least somewhat) reliable and driveable. Keep it up and keep us posted.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Stang2.3
4th Gear Member

Sweet man! how pounds you pushin? just curious. once again great build!
Old 11-20-2008, 02:22 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Im only running 8 psi because of the PVC intercooler piping and no boost control valve.

Hope to have the exhaust, and intercooler plumbing all set up around spring and use the car as a DD
Old 11-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Pnkhead
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sleeper_inc
Well guys, after driving around for close to 500km's on "No Hands" I've fallen in love with it

I love the power it has now, the control, the ability to make your friends look like slow **** because when boost kicks in the car moves

I have NO regrets doing the swap now, I'm happier than ever

I only have a few bugs to work out (vibration at cruising speed (75mph) and the speedometer is off 10-13km/h)

I recommend the swap to EVERYONE who wants good power with good mileage. I'm getting around 27 mpg with some light boosting, 29-32 mpg without boosting, and maybe 15 mpg when I'm loving the boost

I LOVE MY CAR

so anyone got tips for the vibration? I know it's only present at 70+ mph so I'm thinking suspension or driveshaft.

also the 3.97 first gear and 3.73 rear makes for interesting turns if I need to hammer it down
WAIT?! your car actually works now? WOW! Anyways congratz on the swap, and getting that car running.(i know you had it running before but you had a few set backs.)
Old 11-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Stang2.3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sleeper_inc
Im only running 8 psi because of the PVC intercooler piping and no boost control valve.

Hope to have the exhaust, and intercooler plumbing all set up around spring and use the car as a DD
Oh Your gonna love Stock boost. we borrow'd my buddies Going bad duel pump tossed it in my SVO, and my car started, took it up the street punched it watched the Factory Boost Guage hit 14 pounds and O....M....G!!!!!

Quick Reply: Updates