4 Cylinder General Discussion For non tech 4 Cylinder owner chit chat

My Intro

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Atilla the Fun
1st Gear Member

Default My Intro

Hey all,
I'm a three-timer, first an '81 2.3, then an '85, now an '89. I'm kinda disappointed to see no recent threads in here debating the merits of which brand and size of V8 to swap in. So all you folks do is turbo your 2.3, or go to the 5.0 with it's appropriate forum? Bummer. I stuck a 350 Chev in my '85, and I have an LS1 for my '89.
The best turbo anything I ever drove was an '87 Conquest TSI, and I wonder how anyone can be satisfied with a turbo 4.
If anyone wants to discuss a chevy V8 or a "new hemi" into your fox, lemme hear from ya. peace.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:52 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

Welcome. Probably won't hear much mention on engine changes here. Most that posters wanting to change to 5.0 we send to 5.0 section. Most here not done it. Me included. I done the 2.3 turbo swap in a 89 Notch. Well happy with it. But this started as project to put 2.3 turbo in MGB. Wife wanted a Mustang. I am probably the only one of few here also with Mustang motor swap. But doing 3.2 SHO in Mustang.
http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w...20converiable/
Old 03-14-2009, 04:35 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Welcome I guess, I'm really not sure if this guy is actually that ignorant or if he's just another troll.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Atilla the Fun
1st Gear Member

mg man, thank you for living the golden rule. I shall regard you as a friend.

Now, I don't understand the forum definition of troll, yet, but some girls look at me like I might be descended from one, I'm not handsome, so I'll let that ride until someone explains.
Ignorant? Ignorance isn't bad. It's a condition of not having sought-after information. But if you meant it as an insult, you're way off. I have a genius-level IQ.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:07 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

I like you. Your a person I can get along with

I've done a 2.3 turbo swap on my car (its a dd) and I'm hopping to pick up a pre 87 mustang and shove my dads built 400CID chevy into it... or his worked 350

Motors are motors, and cars are cars

Welcome to the forums, post some pictures damnit!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Atilla the Fun
1st Gear Member

Hey sleeper inc, thanks for the greeting.
You ever done a SBC into a foxstang before?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:57 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Not yet, I know you'll have to modify the k-member and either buy expensive headers or make a custom set, but I don't rly care lol
Old 03-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Atilla the Fun
1st Gear Member

I didn't have to modify my k-member. And I didn't use the AJE tubular k, either.
Here's what I did: (sorry, pics are long gone)
'85 Mustang 2.3, drove it into garage. Removed battery, radiator, driveshaft, transmission crossmember, then engine and trans with mounts. Dumpstered everything except battery.
Next, GM T5 has rear mount same distance from engine as 700R-4. Got a bare 305 block, and a mostly empty 700R-4 case with tailshaft and housing and slip yoke. Bolted them together. Put a Camaro oilpan on the block. Added Moroso's solid motor mounts for '82-'92 camaro. Part numbers 62510 and 62610.
Oops, my food is done. I'll continue this in a min.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Atilla the Fun
1st Gear Member

I put that in the car, then went to Pick-N-Pull for a double hump trans crossmember. In the area with the foxstangs, I found one just lying all by itself. I had to walk 2 rows to find a foxstang to try it under, but it fit, so I took it with me. I found a driveshaft from a 5.0/AOD foxstang, and took that, too, then paid and left.
So, I installed that crossmember under the 700R-4, and aside from the crossmember's mounting pad being way angled, it lined up really well. I got a trans mount for a 91 camaro, and soon had that whole deal all bolted together, and the Morosos were still resting on the K-member.
Next I bolted the "new" driveshaft to the 7.5, and pushed the 700's slip yoke all the way in. Then I slid it back 1", and measured u-joint center to u-joint center. I wrote it down, then meadured the "new" shaft to see if it could be shortened. To my surprise, it was close enough! I took the shaft and the 700's slip yoke to Six States, and they ordered me a conversion u-joint.
Meanwhile, I bought a Sharpie, and returned to the stang.
I made sure the engine was centered in the bay, then traced the sharpie around the morosos. Underneath, The oilpan was clearing everything, barely, but barely works with solid mounts.
I pulled the block and trans out, removed the morosos from the block, and positioned them on the K according to the earlier tracings. I duct-taped them in place, and drilled 5/16" holes. Nearly hit the p/s stuff. Careful.
Then I drilled extra holes right through the morosos. After that, I removed them and began tapping the new holes in the stang for 3/8" bolts. Then enlarged my extra holes in the morosos to 3/8".
Old 03-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Atilla the Fun
1st Gear Member

Then before bolting the new engine and trans in, I bought a bunch of new grade 10 3/8 bolts and nuts. with regular lockwashers and a bottle of loctite.
I was able to get lockwashers and nuts on some of the bolts, and in some holes I had to use pretty short bolts, but I installed a good 355 and 700R-4, as I had no T5 on hand. The 700 uses the same slip yoke and driveshaft length as the GM T5 anyway. I installed the driveshaft, but never even started on an exhaust system, beyond test-fitting a few different exhaust manifolds. I sold the car at that point. Things suddenly got desperate, money-wise.
But the 350 did fit under the stock hood. With a ZZ4 intake manifold, a QuadraJet, and a 14x3" open element air cleaner. I tried an AIS dual-snorkel, but it would not clear.

Quick Reply: My Intro