4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

2.5l stroker build, whats needed, what can be expected??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:19 PM
4bang93stang
I ♥ Acer

Default 2.5l stroker build, whats needed, what can be expected??

is it wort it, my motor has low miles and i hate to throw it away. what kinda results can i expect from a 2.5l stroker??like hp/torque? and cost?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:33 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 2.5l stroker build, whats needed, what can be expected??

You wont see any real results, other than your pockets being empty.

If you want power, you need airflow, not displacement.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:12 AM
4bang93stang
I ♥ Acer

ok, i see, by the way your name says 232ci in it? whats that mean?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Lscman

Stroking is an "overrated" modification.

Performance improvements can easily be estimated.

2500/2300 = 1.086

Under optimal conditions, you will see an 8.6% increase in torque and horsepower.

"Optimal conditions" means that the heads, intake, exhaust and cam are tweaked to provide about 8.6% better breathing. If you only increase the cube and don't retune and swap parts to improve breathing, you will simply see less than an 8.6% improvement. This is why such mods generally only improve torque and low RPM power. This is also why strokers are of limited value, unless you're increasing the displacement by 20% or something.

For this particular modification, I bet that your "low end torque" under 3K RPM will increase around 10% and the top end horsepower will increase by only about 3 to 5%. Since your motor only produces about 50 lb/ft of torque above idle, you're going to see maybe an extra 10 or 15 lb/ft. This will be hard to feel....sort of like turning the A/C off.

If you have 100 HP now, expect no more than 105 HP when you're done.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:41 PM
4bang93stang
I ♥ Acer

wow why do people bother doing it then???!!!!
ORIGINAL: Lscman

Stroking is an "overrated" modification.

Performance improvements can easily be estimated.

2500/2300 = 1.086

Under optimal conditions, you will see an 8.6% increase in torque and horsepower.

"Optimal conditions" means that the heads, intake, exhaust and cam are tweaked to provide about 8.6% better breathing. If you only increase the cube and don't retune and swap parts to improve breathing, you will simply see less than an 8.6% improvement. This is why such mods generally only improve torque and low RPM power. This is also why strokers are of limited value, unless you're increasing the displacement by 20% or something.

For this particular modification, I bet that your "low end torque" under 3K RPM will increase around 10% and the top end horsepower will increase by only about 3 to 5%. Since your motor only produces about 50 lb/ft of torque above idle, you're going to see maybe an extra 10 or 15 lb/ft. This will be hard to feel....sort of like turning the A/C off.

If you have 100 HP now, expect no more than 105 HP when you're done.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:02 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4bang93stang

Because their cylinder heads, their intake manifolds, their cams, their turbos, etc, are able to make the airflor to support the extra displacement. Logically, you can make more power with more displacement, if you have the air/fuel to support it. Right now, you hardly have the flow to support your current displacement. If you want power, focus in other places.

232ci relates to the 3.8L, my other thunderbird is currently a 3.8L, but that will change.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Smallpox33
1st Gear Member

232ci is the 3.8 v6 first off and second off thier is no point in modding a 4cyl mustang. none. i dont care wht anyone said those arent racing engines their economy they werent designed with good flow in the first place. they have crap hp/litre ratios or size horsepowere or whatever theres no real point man. u could supercharge it but it woudl still be slow hell im built and blown and im only in 14's with a v6
Old 08-26-2006, 04:51 AM
4bang93stang
I ♥ Acer

i was wondering cus i knew u had a 2.3l t
ORIGINAL: TBird232ci

ORIGINAL: 4bang93stang

Because their cylinder heads, their intake manifolds, their cams, their turbos, etc, are able to make the airflor to support the extra displacement. Logically, you can make more power with more displacement, if you have the air/fuel to support it. Right now, you hardly have the flow to support your current displacement. If you want power, focus in other places.

232ci relates to the 3.8L, my other thunderbird is currently a 3.8L, but that will change.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:08 AM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Smallpox33

232ci is the 3.8 v6 first off and second off thier is no point in modding a 4cyl mustang. none. i dont care wht anyone said those arent racing engines their economy they werent designed with good flow in the first place. they have crap hp/litre ratios or size horsepowere or whatever theres no real point man. u could supercharge it but it woudl still be slow hell im built and blown and im only in 14's with a v6
Then why are you in this section?

No real point? Come race me.

We have 2.3L's in the 9 second range, there are racing classes in the SCCA, amateur oval, dirt oval, and many other racing sanctions that use the 2.3L, but i guess they dont know what theyre doing, the 2.3L isnt a race engine...
Old 08-28-2006, 06:21 AM
Mr. Merk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Smallpox33

hey dumbass, read this and get back to us

2.3 vs everything

esp my very last post

mines stock and blown and it walk away from you, now the 3.8....is not a performance engine

Quick Reply: 2.5l stroker build, whats needed, what can be expected??