4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:39 PM
SKAR

Default RE: weight reduction

ORIGINAL: bacon57

If you take off the sway bar it will handle weird. You can also take out the big side-impact beam in the doors
ummm no.....
Old 01-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Boost Gobbler
2nd Gear Member

no they dont
Old 01-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Angliagasser
2nd Gear Member

Here is what I did to mine. I took out all the black tar thats underneath the carpet, I took of the bumper that where under the rubber front anf rear bumper covers and put aluminum bumper from a early 1980 cobraturbo mustang and then I drilled them full of holes from 1 1/2" to 1/2". Then I took a small cut off wheel and cut the bar out of the doors. Be very careful not to cut through the door or burn the paint on the outside. The stock hood I had I cut all the reinfocemint out of it. same with the rear decklid. I throw away the sway bars and cut the mounts off of the car also. Took the insolation out of the roof also. Ran a aluminum radator and water pump. Any metal that did not need to be there like under the interior side panels I cut out. If you can run aluminum heads.
When I got done My 1990 mustang with a iron headed 460, C-6, 9" rearend, 8 piont rollcage, complete interior, all original metal body panels, fulloriginal gas tank,am/fm radio, seperate cd player and speakers,weight exactly 3400lbs with me in it and I weighted 180lbs. So that means it weight 3120!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Angliagasser
2nd Gear Member

And I left the 4 lug front dics brake on it. By the way it was originallya 4 cylinder car. I also left the original front 4 cylinder spring in it. They rebound faster then the V8 ones do. That is if you want to drag race the car.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:32 AM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92lxsleeper

pull the sound dampaning material out from underneath the carpet, put a thinner carpet and you can save about 100 lbs right there. remove the air conditioner. (all of it) reaplace the exhaust system with a straight through with a race muffler. (it does save weight) umm. u can have custom sheet metal panels made to replace the factory plastic ones, but isn't a big deal. defeiently do a carbon fiber rear hatch if one exists. carbon fiber fenders and doors. and if u get far enough ahead lexon windows for the doors and hatch.
thats what I did

AND ITS MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE!! and its ****in loud inside of the car lol....
Old 01-13-2008, 09:33 AM
92lxsleeper
5th Gear Member

hellion, where u been?
Old 01-13-2008, 07:14 PM
bacon57
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SKAR

If you take off the sway bar it will handle weird. You can also take out the big side-impact beam in the doors
ummm no.....
If you don't get hit its not a big deal. It's kind of like gambling with saftey vs speed
Old 01-14-2008, 11:31 AM
SKAR

ORIGINAL: SKAR

ummm no.....
If you don't get hit its not a big deal. It's kind of like gambling with saftey vs speed
but with the little amount they weigh, they could save your life, so why take out something as important as they are? Have you ever seen a car thats been sideswiped?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:41 AM
damoney69
2nd Gear Member

if its used for drag then take it off if not...keep it in there...
Old 01-14-2008, 11:54 AM
SKAR

The ops car is the 2.3 Mustang in his sig.....

Quick Reply: weight reduction