MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4 Cylinder NA and Turbo (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-cylinder-na-and-turbo-65/)
-   -   tranny probs.. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-cylinder-na-and-turbo/476670-tranny-probs.html)

ExtrmZ 08-24-2008 06:07 PM

tranny probs..

i am having problems with my tranny slipping, so i have a couple of options... rebuild this one, find another, or a T-5 swap...... trying to find the cheapest and easiest one to do, any suggestions?

its gonna be a while before i do anything because i broke my collar bone in our football game on friday night.. so no hurry, but i would like to hear what you guys have to say about this

icelandismine 08-24-2008 06:48 PM

Are you keeping the 4 cylinder motor, or are you going to swap in a turbo or v8? If you are going to do a swap eventually, might want to rough it out and save the money for a proper trans.

I don't know anything about the V8 or auto transmission, but around here one can find 4 banger T5's for dirt cheap. 100 bucks for a good working one, 90 bucks for a stock clutch kit. The rest you should be able to get from a junkyard for cheap.

ExtrmZ 08-24-2008 06:54 PM

i am thinking i am gonna keep it a four cyl car

icelandismine 08-24-2008 06:57 PM

Well, if you're going to keep it a 4 cylinder, I'd swap a 4 banger T5 in. I don't know where you are located, but odds are there are some transmission on craigslist. Or you can go to a junkyard and get the whole setup for cheap. That way you can run a turbo motor eventually. ;)

ExtrmZ 08-24-2008 09:10 PM

is that gonna be the cheapest way to go?

sleeper_inc 08-24-2008 09:31 PM

If you have an A4LD your looking at spending at least $800 to get it rebuilt...

If you do a T5 swap, it would cost around $free-$300

ExtrmZ 08-24-2008 10:10 PM

i read over stinger's swap, it seems really involved, a whole different steering column?! i dont think i am gonna do that unless i can find a donor car to take stuff from..

sleeper_inc 08-24-2008 10:22 PM

What? no...

You just need pedles, cable, shifter, transmission, crossmember, driveshaft, and clutch parts

FoxGT 08-28-2008 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper_inc (Post 5378953)
What? no...
You just need pedles, cable, shifter, transmission, crossmember, driveshaft, and clutch parts

+ clutch cage, clutch quadrant, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk, (both probably what you meant by clutch parts), pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch fork, bellhousing.

If you can find a T5 car from the junkyard you can get all of it at once.
It can be very cheap. My 5.0 v8 swap using a 4 cylinder trans cost me about $130 with all parts. I swapped to a c4 I had built & sold the t5 & all parts but the clutch cage. Cost me $150 to do the swap again with a v8 trans.

On my notch it cost me about $160 because I bought a brand new clutch.

As for a4ld, cost depends on if you rebuild it yourself. Auto's usually take me a while to rebuild (with the exception of the c4), & generally the rebuild kits are $70 - $200 for most older ford autos. I would say base it on what you want, auto or 5 spd. Just to warn you though the a4ld will probably take a while to rebuild since it's your first time & due to the amount of parts inside & I would recommend getting a book if you do. I personally hate stock autos, so i would do the t5 swap. But all the same, I prefer built autos by a long shot over 5 speeds.