5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

AOD replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 07:05 PM
ZoSo15
2nd Gear Member

Default AOD replacement

is there a bolt on automatic tranny that would be better than my AOD? i want to convert it to a stick but i heard its much harder for SN-95s than for fox bodies.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Default RE: AOD replacement

you dont have an AOD

you have and AODE
Old 02-27-2006, 08:00 PM
ZoSo15
2nd Gear Member

k so am i just gonna have to rebuild the thing? anybody know how much it would cost to convert my car to a stick?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:35 PM
H Dean
1st Gear Member

i have a '69 and have looked for a year for the source for a kit with all parts to convert.

NO luck on that front. Mustangs plus and other sources have the trans, clutch, internal parts and hydraulic mastercylinder for the swap.

basically from the back of the engine to the drive shaft is not really the problem i have run into. getting the pedals and small peices seems to be my sticking point. i have learned that most people suggest the tremek tko 500 and tko 600 to any of the 'normal' mustangs trans you get from junk yards-ie the t5 or world class t5 [i think there are very subtle differences in them as well and you should be very careful in bidding on ebay if you are not absoutely sure where the trans came from as the ones for 4 and 6 cylinder cars and trucks are claimed to not have the same torque handling capacity].

then again i am looking for parts that are 30+years old.

i would think you could call a local junk yard and get the pedals and associated peices and parts from there. i would do it myself if i were you as you can expect that they would likely not get everything you might need and they you would be back to square 1.

someone out there may have a better resouce than i have found.

as you can see by doing my homework i only learned how many mistakes i could have made by jumping into this project.

a shop about 100 miles away from me said that they could make the swap for me but it would run 4000 to 5000.

Another alternative is the AODE from lentech. alot of the magazines i read 'tout' them and they apparently have a good track record on their warranty. they have several choices and can even hook you up with a shift computer to set up different driving modes so your mild to wild shift points can be changed with the touch of a button. sounds cool and they claim the costs for this is around 2500 for heavy duty aode and 300 to 500 for the 'box.'

hope this helps. let me know if you have any luck on finding a source for the peices and parts for the swap.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:38 AM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

ill take a beefed up aod over a t5 anyday....
Old 07-29-2006, 02:58 AM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

a t-5 is gonna put the power too the tires way fatser and CHEAPER than a aod. 800$ the junkyard route for an aod-t-5 swap. i got my tranny from a crackhead for $100 so my t-5 swap from start to finish was $500. best mod i ever did. auto's are for women, lazy ,........... consistant ,...... and fat people. i'd rather be super fast every other time than kinda fast all the time. the t-5 is samller and weighs alot less and has alot less parasitc loss.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:01 AM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

autos are far superior in racing and ability to withstand abuse. sticks are great for street cars and those that are not diabled or dont drink anything when they drive.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:03 AM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

diabled?????? most of us are not active in the nmra aka we drive our cars so what is your point.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:44 AM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

it was in responce you your coment about auto's. i ment to say disabled, manuals are much more fun to drive but i dont think they can be considered superior to an automatic. i myself prefer sticks but i wount discount a automatic.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:46 PM
deadcarnahans
3rd Gear Member

Nice car Mr. Dean

I'll have to find me a 69 to restore.

Quick Reply: AOD replacement