5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Question about replacing Harmonic Balancer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Question about replacing Harmonic Balancer?

You don't need a special tool to install a balancer :\ all you do is tighten down the bolt after you set the balancer on.
WRONG! That is the #1 way to *** up the threads in the crank. Then, if you do that, you have alot more **** to fix instead of just the stupid balancer. You guys are going to have to realize some day that there is a right way to do things. Also there are tools out there to help you do it the right way.

I'm sure there are guys out there that have "eyeballed" the keyway and wailed away with a mallett to get it on the crank. Or just screwed it on with the balancer bolt. But it's NOT the proper way to do it.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

you brought up the impact, just slam it down with the impact, you can't over tighten it, and if you under tighten it, won't make a difference anyway.

what do you mean it does not matter if the bolt is tight? thats wrong, i have a balancer that is no good from the bolt not being tight.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Low_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone know of a link to a step by step intsruction page, The balancer is "SPUN", that is why i am replace it...does it make a difference in comparison to just changing the pulley for a lighter one...or is there a reason for the balancer F***ing up, that i would also have to fix or replace?
Old 03-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

the pullys you use do not matter, take the bolt out of the crank, take the puller and pull the balancer off. than slide your new balancer on, tap it with a rubber hammer a little, than put your bolt back in and tightin it down. they only way it will hurt the threads in the crank is if you cross thread them, or if you try to start the bolt in and only have 2 or 3 threads and that would cause the bolt to pull out of the crank.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Low_5.0
2nd Gear Member

can u over tighten the bolt....i havent been able to look at it yet as the car is in storage, but im sure i will get a better understanding once im looking at hte pulley!
Old 03-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

you are not going to over tightin that bolt, if you are using a breaker bar and a socket, 150ft lb is a lot.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Low_5.0
2nd Gear Member

ok good to know
Old 03-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Grimace5.0

You don't need a special tool to install a balancer :\ all you do is tighten down the bolt after you set the balancer on.
WRONG! That is the #1 way to *** up the threads in the crank. Then, if you do that, you have alot more **** to fix instead of just the stupid balancer. You guys are going to have to realize some day that there is a right way to do things. Also there are tools out there to help you do it the right way.

I'm sure there are guys out there that have "eyeballed" the keyway and wailed away with a mallett to get it on the crank. Or just screwed it on with the balancer bolt. But it's NOT the proper way to do it.
Actually, the balancer slides on far enough so the balancer enters the keyway, so there's no eyeballing involverd, the balancer bolt is long to say the least so there's no way you're going to mess up the threads in the crank, I've never once seen anybody use a special tool to put on a balancer. I spend a lot of time at a cylinder head shop aswell, and even on his project motor, v12 out of a Jag (i believe) with 12 carbs. so he put a lot of work into it, all he did was slam it on with the bolt. At the shop I work at we don't even have a tool to replace a balancer, I've never even seen one, that shop's been open for 30 some odd years, and never once have had a problem like that. That's something for mythbusters.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:12 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

im with liquid on this one, ive changed only 2 in my life but either i got lucky or it was really simple
ORIGINAL: Liquid_02

ORIGINAL: Grimace5.0

Actually, the balancer slides on far enough so the balancer enters the keyway, so there's no eyeballing involverd, the balancer bolt is long to say the least so there's no way you're going to mess up the threads in the crank, I've never once seen anybody use a special tool to put on a balancer. I spend a lot of time at a cylinder head shop aswell, and even on his project motor, v12 out of a Jag (i believe) with 12 carbs. so he put a lot of work into it, all he did was slam it on with the bolt. At the shop I work at we don't even have a tool to replace a balancer, I've never even seen one, that shop's been open for 30 some odd years, and never once have had a problem like that. That's something for mythbusters.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

the balancer slides on far enough so the balancer enters the keyway, so there's no eyeballing involverd
I meant "eyeballing" the woodruff key and the slot in the balancer. You know what, I don't care how you guys do it. It's not worth me getting pissed off over. Do it your way, I'll do it mine. When one of these new guys F's up their crank because all the "experts" say just throw it on and impact the bitch down are you going to send them money to fix their junk? Didn't think so. Get the right tool for the job.

Quick Reply: Question about replacing Harmonic Balancer?