5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Weekend Drag car only

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Gtdaniel
2nd Gear Member

Default Weekend Drag car only

Well guys,I'm making my car into a drag car,since I cant get it registered,(wont pass emissions).
Any today I was racing a 2001 camaro z28 with ls1 engine,long story short I beat him by about a car lenght on the street.as I reach the next stop light my car over heated instantly and smoke was coming from under the hood.when I got home,(about a 1/4mile away from the stop light)I open my hood,there was oil and antifreeze everywhere in the engine bay,hissing like a mother.It looked to me that the steam was coming from between the head and the block.I thught for sure it was a blown head gasket.and it was.this motor always would overheat,say the car was about 150 degres,when I was at the light on the track by the time I would get back to the pits the car was already overheated,bubbling the whole 9 yards.
But luckily I have a 1965 ford mustang out back that was burnt in a fire,It has a 302 from a 69 mustang I belive so,Im going to swap out motors.
When I have the motor out I'm going to paint It a mopar blue.

the fastest I had the car was a 14.9@90 mhp so hopfully it will be a little fasted with this motor.also I have a set of 3.73's on the way that should be here any day now.
I'll keep you guys updated

Also any advise would help also
Old 04-03-2006, 11:44 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Weekend Drag car only

Um...what kind of car and why don't you just replace the headgaskets???
Old 04-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Gtdaniel
2nd Gear Member

my bad,its a 85 mustang gt,well because I found out the motor is .60 over.also I want to port the head and put another cam.and the 302 out of the 65 only has 38 thousand miles.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:52 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

and the 65 isn't roller...but that's up to you...

I just think I'd be easier to sap head gaskets instead of a whole motor...

If you're itching to swap then build one while you can still drive your car...
Old 04-03-2006, 11:57 PM
Gtdaniel
2nd Gear Member

the motor in the 85 is not a rollor either,who ever built this motor last took out the roller set up,and some how degreed the cam,wich i have no idea what its degreed at,so I can't time the distributer with a timing light because it off engine timing or somthing.also while I'm caming the other engine the car will be getting painted by a buddy of mine.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:01 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Cam degreeing and ignition timing are two different things. It's sounds like your harmonic balancer has spun...
Old 04-04-2006, 12:08 AM
Gtdaniel
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86HOGT

Cam degreeing and ignition timing are two different things. It's sounds like your harmonic balancer has spun...
I thaught it was the balencer too,so I baught and no difference.

say if you degreed the cam at 4+ advance,and you want to set you timing say at 12degrees advanced,you would set the distributer at 8 degrees that would give you a total of 12 degrees of timing right?
Old 04-04-2006, 12:12 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

No.

You're setting the ignition timing with crank degrees so the cam could be 10 degrees off but your igntion timing could still be on.

When you say 12 degrees of ignition timing, you're setting it at 12 degrees before TDC, simple as that.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Gtdaniel
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for setting that right.

I just got off the phone with the previous owner,he said he had a good friend of his build the motor,(the engine builder was a shad tree machanic)also he said the did something wrong to the cam,and he could not time it with a timing light also.he said the motor was a stock bore when he gave it to the engine builder.he said he wanted it .30 over,then a coulple of days later the engine builder call him and told him that he had to bore it over .60.he got the engine back put it back in the car and drove it for a while to break it in and the engine overheated,and he said ever since then the car would allways over heat,he put a water pump,thermosat,but no luck.so thats why he sold it.
he should of said that when I baught it.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Gtdaniel
2nd Gear Member

need some advice,about suspension.
should I put 90/10 struts up front and 50/50 out back?

Quick Reply: Weekend Drag car only