5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

e7te questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

Default e7te questions

I did a search on the e7te heads and didnt find quite what I was looking for here. What Ive got is a fresh but stock 5.0 HO short block, but with some old clunker smog heads stuck on it that I plan to use in my 65 falcon. Its a budget build so I dont want to put much money in it (picked up the engine for $20, dont ask) but I would like at least a little power. OK, so trash the smog heads, but what to replace them with? GT40 heads will NOT clear my headers because of the revised plug angle, which leads me to the e7te. Arent these about the next best thing to a set of gt40 heads without going aftermarket? About the only performance part I dont already have that Id like to use (already picked up headers and performer rpm intake super cheap) is a set of roller rocker arms, Im just not sure which ones I need since ford used a couple different styles. Can I use these or these ?
Old 04-25-2006, 02:30 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

Default RE: e7te questions

e7 heads come stock on 87-95 mustangs and they are not very good to put it mildly.

a set of afr's or edelbrocks can net you another 50rwhp, without supporting mods like intake and cam.

you could have them milled, ported and put bigger valves in and realize some gain, but it is almost not worth it.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:41 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

I was just doin the same thing, I picked up a 2nd mustang with no engine dirt cheap.... the only block I could find in good shape had flat top pistons therefore bigger valves were recinded as the stock ones barley cleared with 1.7rr I got the heads milled to be flat again I think they took off like .010 at the most I read a do it yourself porting page and took all the valves & springs off ported the bowls out along with the ports put some double springs in along with new valves and threw it back together for about 400 Canadian but the porting took me about 20 hours to get right........I haven't ran it yet but with all the gunk biuld up in the port being gone and everything nice and polished I can assure you that there will be gains. I am waiting on some 02 sensors from Summit and I will tell you how it is over stock.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

the problem is my headers will ONLY clear the stock spark plug location. The headers are actually on my comet right now with world products 185 heads. I had to dent the hell out of them to get them to fit, and even now they burn plug wires all the time, then I have to lift the engine up and remove the header as much as I can to change the wire. Needless to say it takes all day to cheange a set of spark plugs. [:@] However, they cleared OK (at best) when I had the stock heads. Any word on the rockers? I think the crane energizer rockers will work, I just hate to order them and find out they wont.

EDIT: these are the rockers in question, in case anyone missed it in the first post http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...chItemId=15325
Old 04-25-2006, 04:19 PM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

im sorry but i'm on not mistaken the gt40 heads have the same spark angle as the e7's... its the gt40p heads you'll want to say way from....

as for the RR you can use a stock HO cam and through some 1.7 cobra RR on them for about 200 bucks and have about ~ .474 inches of lift... that's will give you some more power.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

You could be on to something here... I looked at a few different heads on ebay and it looks like the "P" heads have a much straighter plug angle. I may go with the gt40 heads afterall. Thanks!

ORIGINAL: I3atR!ce

im sorry but i'm on not mistaken the gt40 heads have the same spark angle as the e7's... its the gt40p heads you'll want to say way from....

as for the RR you can use a stock HO cam and through some 1.7 cobra RR on them for about 200 bucks and have about ~ .474 inches of lift... that's will give you some more power.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:31 PM
meiguoren33
2nd Gear Member

P's have the angled plugs, regular gt40's don't. the regular gt40's are what yer lookin for.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:37 PM
jknowles249

Just put plugs in the thermactor holes and use the e7tes.
I think they have like 177cc of flow theyll do alright
Old 04-25-2006, 07:40 PM
meiguoren33
2nd Gear Member

Dude yer in Livonia? Call karkraft there an they'll have all the info you need.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

I got all the info I need, at least until the next issue comes up. But where is karkraft? Ive heard of em, you dont happen to have their phone number do ya? i guess i could just look it up tho...
also, i found a set of gt40 heads and crane 1.7 roller rockers with 60k miles for $500, this sound about right?

Quick Reply: e7te questions