5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 12:23 AM
gking

Default HELP

I HAVE AN "88 GT 5.0 STANDARD, I HAVE RELACED THE ERG VALVE, SENSOR, AND VACUUM SOLENOID. THEN I HAVE RUN A SELF TEST COMPUTER ON THE CAR AND THE CODE I GET SAYS AS FOLLOWS:
ERG VALVE SENSOR OR PRESSURE FEEDBACK ERG (PFE) SENSOR - SIGNAL VOLTAGE IS BELOW MINIMUM SPEC.
OR
EGR VACUUM REGULATOR SOLENOID CIRCUIT PROBLEMS
OR
EGR VALVE IS NOT IN ITS NORMAL CLOSED POSITION

ALSO PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO RESET MY COMPUTER 'CAUSE THAT COULD ALSO BE MY PROBLEM
Old 04-22-2004, 01:46 AM
WesDe
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HELP

First off there should be an option on your scanner to reset the computer. On mine there is a button that says reset. On yours you might have to press something else. Read the manual for it. As far as the EGR problem, check the vacum lines going to the EGR. Sometimes they get hard from the heat and collapse or break. Mine are under a black housing so I could not see it right away. i had the same codes and it was driving me nuts. Finally I pulled the vacum lines and the one which goes on top of the EGR was broke in half by the intake.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:44 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

removing the negative battery cable and waiting a minute then reinstalling it will reset the computer. the voltage from most all the sensors is 0-5 volts, so see what the voltage is coming out of your EGR, 0.9 is closed and 5 is wide open I think. if you're not getting any voltage, check for broken wires in the harness going to/from the valve positioner which sends the signal to the computer. with 0 vacuum, the valve is closed and higher vacuum opens it up.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:27 PM
gking

i have reset my computer, sprayed carb cleaner all around the vacuum lines, and i have not found the problem. so i ran the self test computer on the car again and i'm still getting the same code. the car runs like junk. it's like it falls on its face. just like a lose of horse power.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:36 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

pull the EGR valve back off and see if it is stuck in the open position. with it off, the cone tip of the valve should be sticking out past the flange where it bolts up. if not, then you need to clean it with some carb cleaner and free it up if it's stuck. the valve has a spring to keep it closed and vacuum is what opens it up. also check the wiring to the plug on the top of the valve and make sure the connections are clean and tight and check the voltage. should be less than 1 volt with valve closed and 5 volts with it open all the way.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:41 PM
gking

brand new egr valve, egr sensor, and egr vacuum solinoid
Old 04-23-2004, 05:54 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

not trying to be a smartass, but do you think every new part you buy is actually good?
this wouldn't be the first time someone got a bad part, you know it does happen!