5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

R12 to R134a?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 01:27 AM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: R12 to R134a?

I am going to convert mine tomorrow, I got the kit at Walmart today. My questions is how do you bleed out the remaining freon that is in the system?
Old 07-08-2006, 01:32 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Go somewhere that can recover it for you.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:37 AM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

ORIGINAL: Bad Karma

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

WTF are you some scientist!!! Change your s/n to Poindexter or something!! Anyway, all I know is I've been using it in my stang for a # off years w/o any problems.

Hehehe..I was a Mechanical Engineer Major with a Minor in Fluid Dynamics. Then I got a part time job as a mech that turned into a job from hell. Then I gave my two weeks and now I'm a Mr. Mom until I decide to get another job.

Oh, yeah, I was also a Rocket Scientist when I was in the Navy..Just kidding. I did do alot of explosives and weapons and can tell you that there is 1.5 ounces of Tritonal in a Mechanical M904E4 nose fuze for a Mk 80 Series Low Drag General Purpose Bomb..

But that's another Thread.

-Ivan
You and I have something in common.

At first I was like COOL!! Another EOD guy!! But then I saw the Mr. Mom part.Hehehe!! Yeah, it's pretty reat to not have to have a job.

The only thing that really sucks is that as long as I'm sitting on my ***, so will the Mustang.

I'm just waiting for the right opportunity, I've applied everywhere I want to work. If they don't call me, it isn't meant to be.

I'll be a FT Michael Keaton and PT Advisor to people who need to know how schitt works..

-Ivan
Old 07-08-2006, 02:49 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

WTF are you some scientist!!! Change your s/n to Poindexter or something!! Anyway, all I know is I've been using it in my stang for a # off years w/o any problems.

Hehehe..I was a Mechanical Engineer Major with a Minor in Fluid Dynamics. Then I got a part time job as a mech that turned into a job from hell. Then I gave my two weeks and now I'm a Mr. Mom until I decide to get another job.

Oh, yeah, I was also a Rocket Scientist when I was in the Navy..Just kidding. I did do alot of explosives and weapons and can tell you that there is 1.5 ounces of Tritonal in a Mechanical M904E4 nose fuze for a Mk 80 Series Low Drag General Purpose Bomb..

But that's another Thread.

-Ivan
You and I have something in common.

At first I was like COOL!! Another EOD guy!! But then I saw the Mr. Mom part.Hehehe!! Yeah, it's pretty reat to not have to have a job.

The only thing that really sucks is that as long as I'm sitting on my ***, so will the Mustang.I'm just waiting for the right opportunity, I've applied everywhere I want to work. If they don't call me, it isn't meant to be.

I'll be a FT Michael Keaton and PT Advisor to people who need to know how schitt works..

-Ivan
I hear you on that. I haven't done any mods to my car since I lost my job--and I had a ton of them planned. One day.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:41 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

soo....general consensus is to try Freeze 12?
Old 07-09-2006, 01:03 AM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

Freeze 12 is ok....will work a smidgen better than R134a..so if it doesn't cost much more, tear it up Bro!

If you read through some of my above replies, you might see where I suggest what to do with the remaining Freon in your system.

I don't want to offend the treehuggers so email me if you can't read between the lines. K?

Again, if there is anything that I can do to help you get going, let me know Sir.

And no, you aren' alone in the modding process when it comes to being Mr. Mom.

Or should I say lack thereof of the "modding process?"

-Ivan
Old 07-09-2006, 01:29 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Freeze 12 is ok....will work a smidgen better than R134a..so if it doesn't cost much more, tear it up Bro!

If you read through some of my above replies, you might see where I suggest what to do with the remaining Freon in your system.

I don't want to offend the treehuggers so email me if you can't read between the lines. K?

Again, if there is anything that I can do to help you get going, let me know Sir.

And no, you aren' alone in the modding process when it comes to being Mr. Mom.

Or should I say lack thereof of the "modding process?"

-Ivan
Thanks Ivan. I went with R134a, since that was what was in the system already. A/C is cold now...thank god. Anyway, thanks again for all your help. Yeah, one day, I'll have money to blow on the car soon. Later man.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:32 AM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

Very glad to hear that things worked out for you. Nice.

Yeah, maybe one day we can both look back on these "non-mod" days and reminisce.....[:'(]

-Ivan
Old 07-09-2006, 02:44 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

We drive V8 gas guzzlers! I wouldn't think there are many tree huggers here who would care...

Would just sticking R134a in it be bad? I'd rather just run to advance auto and grab 2 cans of that than wait for something to come in the mail.

Unless you guys know of a retailer which sells a R12 substitute?
Old 07-12-2006, 02:16 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

How do I go about finding a leak? There's no R12 in it now so there's obviously a leak somwhere...

Thanks!

Quick Reply: R12 to R134a?