5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Driveshaft Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 04:01 AM
five.slow

Default Driveshaft Question

I just pulled out my driveshaft assembly to replace the U-joints. The shaft had a little play and made a thunking noise when I hit/let off the throttle so I'm assuming/hoping that's the culprit. Anyways, I've got a couple of questions hoping someone can answer:

1. Went to Autozone to get new Ujoints. The ones they have in there system weren't the right size. They had to size the old ones to find the right match. Has anyone else run into this problem? Could I have a different driveshaft assembly from stock - does anything else bolt up to a 93 gt? I've got the stock t-5 trans and the driveshaft appears to be a stock steel one.

2. Kinda dumb question... but does it matter which way the driveshaft is reinstalled? Does it have a front/back. It looks totally symetrical, but I didn't mark the driveshaft when I dissassembled it, so would like some confirmation that I'm not making more work for myself down the road by reinstalling it incorrectly.

Thanks for the help!

Mike
Old 07-11-2006, 04:11 AM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Driveshaft Question

thats a good question and let me know if that solves your problem , i think mine is doing the same thing
Old 07-11-2006, 01:45 PM
five.slow

bump.... Can anyone help me out here? gettin ready to reassemble.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:09 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: five.slow

I just pulled out my driveshaft assembly to replace the U-joints. The shaft had a little play and made a thunking noise when I hit/let off the throttle so I'm assuming/hoping that's the culprit. Anyways, I've got a couple of questions hoping someone can answer:

1. Went to Autozone to get new Ujoints. The ones they have in there system weren't the right size. They had to size the old ones to find the right match. Has anyone else run into this problem? Could I have a different driveshaft assembly from stock - does anything else bolt up to a 93 gt? I've got the stock t-5 trans and the driveshaft appears to be a stock steel one.

2. Kinda dumb question... but does it matter which way the driveshaft is reinstalled? Does it have a front/back. It looks totally symetrical, but I didn't mark the driveshaft when I dissassembled it, so would like some confirmation that I'm not making more work for myself down the road by reinstalling it incorrectly.

Thanks for the help!

Mike
1) I just replaced mine and didnt have that problem. However I went to Advanced Auto. Go with the heavy duty ones if you havent already bought them. If you had a different driveshaft you would need a different yoke, different spline, different tranny................... Unless your tranny has been replaced I wouldnt suspect it.
-
2) It doesnt matter which end goes which way. Just be careful about droping it, and you might want to have it ballanced anyway before you reinstall it just to be sure. Its pretty cheap.

Tips:

-be careful installing the new U joints, there are pins that can fall out or get bent in the process. (do a search under U joints) for some helpful hints.

-Use thread lock on the rear 4 bolts that connect the yoke to the differential.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:13 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

here is a post this awsome MF member made with instruction on replacing U joints. This guy is the **** man!

https://mustangforums.com/m_1431377/tm.htm
Old 07-11-2006, 02:36 PM
five.slow

Tips:

-be careful installing the new U joints, there are pins that can fall out or get bent in the process. (do a search under U joints) for some helpful hints.
Yea kinda learned that one the hard way... scrapped one u joint last night lol. [:@]

Thanks for the help. This post: https://mustangforums.com/m_1431377/tm.htm definitely helps alot. BTW, you can get a ball joint press from autozone as part of their tool loaner process. $90 deposit which you get back when you return the tool. I started with the c-clamp approach, but having the right tool makes it MUCH easier.

anyways, thank again.
-Mike
Old 07-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Mthd11
3rd Gear Member

thats what the play is coming from

on my uncles truck there was a good half inch of play, we replaced the u joints and it was fixed, or atleast there was less play... less that 1/8' at least...
Old 07-11-2006, 06:18 PM
five.slow

well.... unfortunately it doesn't look like the ujoints were the problem. I got everything put back together and it still has some play. With the ebrake on and the trans in neutral, I get about 1/2 - 3/4 inches of play back and forth at the diff. What 'ya think, is my rear end shot? what do you think it needs, new rear end gears or could this be more complex of a problem?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:40 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

you can use a vise I just do them on the florr using a socket and a hammer..NAPA sells the good ones dana spicers