5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I am sick of mis-information, here is the truth of Speed Density cars!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 02:26 PM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I am sick of mis-information, here is the truth of Speed Density cars!

ORIGINAL: Twister
The trick to running speed density is to have a cam the produces enough vacuum, and to adjust the fuel and air flow correctly. As you increase the air, you will have to increase the fuel in equal ratios to stay within the factory programming. Some will tell you that this is not possible, but it is. The best thing to do is to work with a shop that has a dyno and can read air/fuel exhaust ratios. I daily drove my 86 with this combo for over 50,000 miles without issue.
this ford issued document
proves that any adjustment to fuel pressure (+/- 25%) will be corrected by the ECM. the o2s work to maintain a 14.64:1 a/f ratio. if you adjust the fuel pressure higher (up to 25%) than the ECM adjusts the pulsewidth of the injectors to compensate (it shortens the PW). alternately, if you lower the pressure the ECM lengthens the pulsewidth. on a dyno you might see gains after an adjustment, but only temporary gains, until the ECM realizes what you've done and adjusts accordingly.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I am sick of mis-information, here is the truth of Speed Density cars!

ORIGINAL: BCP

I ran an F cam in my 88 GT still SD, it ran great! SD definately rawks for mild setups.
what did you do about the vacuum? Alphabet cams usually don't idle well with speed density
Old 07-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TENGRAM

The trick to running speed density is to have a cam the produces enough vacuum, and to adjust the fuel and air flow correctly. As you increase the air, you will have to increase the fuel in equal ratios to stay within the factory programming. Some will tell you that this is not possible, but it is. The best thing to do is to work with a shop that has a dyno and can read air/fuel exhaust ratios. I daily drove my 86 with this combo for over 50,000 miles without issue.
this ford issued document
proves that any adjustment to fuel pressure (+/- 25%) will be corrected by the ECM. the o2s work to maintain a 14.64:1 a/f ratio. if you adjust the fuel pressure higher (up to 25%) than the ECM adjusts the pulsewidth of the injectors to compensate (it shortens the PW). alternately, if you lower the pressure the ECM lengthens the pulsewidth. on a dyno you might see gains after an adjustment, but only temporary gains, until the ECM realizes what you've done and adjusts accordingly.
yes and no...if you keep the air/fuel mixture in the same ratio, it will not adjust it back.....that is why I recomend using a dyno that does that to help adjust the fuel preasure
Old 07-14-2006, 03:05 PM
BCP
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BCP

I ran an F cam in my 88 GT still SD, it ran great! SD definately rawks for mild setups.
what did you do about the vacuum? Alphabet cams usually don't idle well with speed density
adjusted the timing and fp till the car idled better.

the car went 12.30s with basically a cam and intake.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:35 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

just 1 thing to your info.......let the speedo cable break and where will you be

OK, people on here do not seem to have a clue about speed density. Speed density is a form of controling the air/fuel mixture by pre-set codes in the computer. YOU CAN MANIPULATE THEM WITHOUT A CHIP!

Speed density was the first form of air management for the multiport EFI Mustangs. It was used into the 90's in trucks and non-H.O. 5.0's, such as Lincolns and T-Birds. For the Mustang, it was used in all 5.0's in 1986, 1987 and all 88's except for the ones sold in California.

All and all, you can do anything that you want to do to a speed density car except for a large cam. Speed density requires vacuum, at least 19 inch pounds. Stock 5.0L HO cam's advertised specs are 266°/266° duration, 0.444"/0.444" lift, Iskidarian makes a cam that works well that is 252°/257° duration and .465"/.480" lift. The reason why the cam works well is that the lobe center is 112°, good for vacuum.

I am currently running a speed density 1986 5.0 with a 65mm Accufab throttle body, a REAL Ford Cobra intake, GT40 Y heads, the cam listed above, equal length headers, a custom X-Pipe and Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers. My fuel system is a Walboro 155 lph pump, an Accufab adjustible fuel preasure regulator and FRPP 24 pound injectors.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Dearborn5.0
2nd Gear Member

bump
Old 07-31-2006, 07:49 PM
Tumbleweed

ORIGINAL: 2 kwik

just 1 thing to your info.......let the speedo cable break and where will you be
Driving down the road not knowing how fast you are going.
Speed density refers to engine speed not car speed.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:25 PM
Rixter
1st Gear Member

As another SD car owner, that is really good information, thanks!
Old 07-31-2006, 09:41 PM
Dearborn5.0
2nd Gear Member

yea. SD f-ing rox

hehe
Old 08-01-2006, 01:41 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Good info to know

Quick Reply: I am sick of mis-information, here is the truth of Speed Density cars!