5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine Swap Wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 02:29 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine Swap Wiring problem

We have almost completely got my 5.0 swapped into my 1991 4cyl , except for a few things.The wiring from the guages in the dash ( gas , oil , amps , etc.) doesn't hook up to anything now. And the wiring from the fuel pump doesn't either. I know nothing about the wiring so I am just asking this because my uncle asked me to see what i can find out. The dude he was going to have come fix the wiring and stuff backed out so we have to do it ourselves. Basically all i know is that at the back right hand corner of the engine bay( facing the front of the engine) are several plugs hanging from the wiring harness. they hook to nothing that i can find and are very short. I am guessing that these go to probably the turn signals , oil pressure sensor , fuel pump , and other stuff. Maybe airbags? Anyways does anyone have any advice? I know its a vague question but any advice no matter how small would help. Also , I have about $2000 dollars now after seling my old truck . I am going to screw painting my car for now and get some aluminum gt40 heads . i also want to screw the wiring and convert to a carb. How hard will it be and will it help simplify my wiring problem? I can get a real nice manifold and 650 cfm demon carb from a guy at my church for $350 if i get them this week before he sells his stang and trade him the cobr intake I bought and my efi stuff. Is it worth it and will it make things easier?
Old 06-13-2003, 09:06 AM
DrededSS
1st Gear Member

I converted my truck to carb, wasn't happy about it, but had to do it. I couldn't afford $3000 FI to run my setup. My conversion only really required adding a return line regulator, so I can have an EFI in-tank pump. I'm not sure on the mustang tanks, but if I had wanted to do away with the in-tank setup, a sump would have been needed. On top of that the computer got pissed off, so I had to re-wire the pump....but I guess that doesn't help. If you lived in the DFW area I'd drive over to wire it up for you.</P>

I'd suggest picking up a Chilton's or similar book for your car, and one also for the year engine you're dropping in. They should have wiring diagrams. Typically when switching in a FI engine you want to transplant the wiring harness and computer also. Will the 4-banger computer run the 5.0?</P>

Dred</P>
Old 06-13-2003, 02:06 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

No I used the computer and wiring harness from the 88 cougar I got the engine from. Thats the problem , most of the wiring to the engine hooks back up except for the parts thats stayed on the stang. You know like the turn signals , fuel pump , ya know things I couldn't steal the wiring from the cougar.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:11 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

I planned on getting rid of the in-tank pump if i converted to carb. The only reason I want to go carb is because its cheaper and because I can get it all installed cheaper and faster. I am just scared to let my uncle rig the wiring to the rest of the car. plus my fuel pump makes a horrible buzzing sound constantly so i'll probably have to replace it sometime soon anyways. I wonder if the fuel pump from the cougar would work and clear some of the wiring problems up?
Old 06-13-2003, 06:27 PM
converted
2nd Gear Member

YIKES!!! I would have figured that most of the wiring between the Cougar and Mustang would have been similar. After all, they are built on the same chassis.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:24 AM
DrededSS
1st Gear Member

The only thing I can think of is wiring diagrams for both vehicles, then you can splice in new plugs for all of the wires.</P>

Dred</P>
Old 06-14-2003, 03:45 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I figured I would so I went ahead and bought the Haynes manual today for the cougar. I already had the one for my mustang. Hopfully this will help my uncle enough. I pondered over a few of the connectors today and found where one of them went to atleast. It went to the light inside the hood. I had taken the old one off and put my new fiberglass hood and just neglected to re-attach the light. it never occured to me until I saw it hanging from the old hood. So , one down 6-7 to go hehehe. What happens to the computer if i went with a carb? Is it still needed to make other things work or can i just ditch it? I'm sure that is a stupid question but I might as well ask.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:03 AM
DrededSS
1st Gear Member

I left my computer as well as my wire harness in place, just didn't feel like cutting it out. I know on my truck the gauges are separate from the computer, but I'm not sure on yours.</P>

Dred</P>
Old 06-14-2003, 05:00 PM
lloydchristmas
3rd Gear Member

Stick with the FI. If you cant figure it out from the book. Check with the tech dept at painless wiring. They will be able to help. In the meantime take some good clear pictures of everything and email it to me I should be able to help.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:27 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Ok guys , this is what has happened today. We got the engine running ( Technically) by running some wires from the battery to a switch inside my car, then to the fuel pump. Then we found the motor wasn't getting any spark . We called some people and they all told us to get a new wiring harness from a 89-93 mustang. The last person we called was my dads cousin and he had us run a hot wire from the battery to the hot on the coil. Well guess what , it started. It sounds like nothing I've ever heard before. It's beautiful ,butthere is no way i will be able to drive to the muffler shop in this thing. I'll get 15 tickets . Plus the motor won't run for more that a few seconds without sputtering and dying. It idles really slow and wierd too. Do you think it is because the O2 sensors aren't hooked up? I mean if I hold the gas in it runs but as soon as I let off it dies. Plus it doesn't exactly feel like it runs the greatest even when I hold the gas in. Feels almost like my 4 cyl did when I left the mass air unhooked on accident once. Well anyway there are lots of switches but they atleast look pretty cool. We made a nice looking plate that goes where the radio/ tape player went . So it looks cool. Anyways any ideas about the wierd idle and engine dying when i let off the gas? O2 sensors maybe?

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Wiring problem