5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Spring Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 02:14 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Default Spring Compressor

Hi guys,
I'm new to mustang forums and this is my first post. I'm in the process of installing eibach pro springs in my 1983 gt convertible. I'm also installing tokico hp shocks and struts and am upgrading to 1987 and up brakes with ssbc rotors and pads and maximum motorsports stainless brake lines. I finished the rear of the car in a just a couple of hours but I'm having trouble with the fronts. My problem is I can't seem to be able to get the new spring wedged into a arm spring pocket and the upper pocket, the spring is just to long. Everything is unbolted, so nothing is restricting the movement of the arm, it will move as far down as I like it to. So I figured I need a spring compressor but the one I bought is not going to work. I heard that it is hard to find a compressor that works with our cars. Does anyone have any experience using one with these cars and if so what kind, who made it? Need all the help I can get, tired of the car sitting in the garage!
Thank you,
Brian
Old 08-07-2006, 02:36 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Spring Compressor

i got one from Advanced auto. They're the ones that it had little fingers and you take a ratchet and tighten both sides down equally.
You need to make sure that when you start putting the compressor on, the springs little fingers need to go as high up on the spring on both sides as possible, so you get the maximum compression when you tighten it down, if thats the kind you have.

but good luck
Old 08-07-2006, 02:38 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

when I did mine, I had to use those crapy spring compressors for strut springs.
I just compressed the one side of the spring and took some metal twine and wrapped it around to keep the one side compressed, then took off the compressor and the spring was curved now, you still need to jack up the control arm, but it will fit easier this way.

some people say they did it without a spring sompressor and I think they used lowering springs that are shorter, or are full of BS.
good luck
Old 08-07-2006, 02:42 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

That is like the one I bought but the problem is, the two parts to the spring compressor mount on the outside of the spring and get in the way of the upper pocket, and then even if I could get the spring in the pocket with the compressors attached, I would not be able to access either the nut or the bolt head(depending which way I attached it) to remove the compressor. Thank you for you help though.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: 83gtragtop

Hi guys,
I'm new to mustang forums and this is my first post. I'm in the process of installing eibach pro springs in my 1983 gt convertible. I'm also installing tokico hp shocks and struts and am upgrading to 1987 and up brakes with ssbc rotors and pads and maximum motorsports stainless brake lines. I finished the rear of the car in a just a couple of hours but I'm having trouble with the fronts. My problem is I can't seem to be able to get the new spring wedged into a arm spring pocket and the upper pocket, the spring is just to long. Everything is unbolted, so nothing is restricting the movement of the arm, it will move as far down as I like it to. So I figured I need a spring compressor but the one I bought is not going to work. I heard that it is hard to find a compressor that works with our cars. Does anyone have any experience using one with these cars and if so what kind, who made it? Need all the help I can get, tired of the car sitting in the garage!
Thank you,
Brian
How did you pull your old springs out of the front then? I mean the stock springs should be longer (?) than what you're replacing them with aren't they, or did you already have aftermarket springs in there?

The reason it's hard to find a spring compressor that works for your car is that it's normally not needed.

Just out of curiosity, when you say 'Everything' has been unbolted, you mean the Ball joint AND tierod also right?
Old 08-07-2006, 02:45 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

someone makes the correct spring compressor, it is 2 metal plates with curved ends and a rod that goes inside the spring, there is a hole in the 2 plates that tightens the plates together compressing the spring.

I couldnt find one.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:48 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Ya ball joint and tie rod are unbolted. I had to kind of pull at the original(stock) springs to get them out, then they kind of popped out, it seems like I need to compress the spring about an inch to get the spring seated in the a arm, got my buddy who benches 340 to try to get it in there and even he couldn't do it, the front spring are much to stiff.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:48 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

i did mine without taking the ball joint loose. I took the tie rod loose, but left the ball joint.

My compressors were hard to get out also, i took a regular wrench and about 15min to un-screw each one because i had to fight to get it to turn. It was hard as hell. But i finally preyed it loose.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:53 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Maybe I'll do what silver91gt did and compress one side and use something to keep the spring compressed. Not sure what I would use though, metal twine seem a bit scary. I def. agree with silver91gt, either people are full of it or they are using a shorter spring. I am after all using pro spring which are about as conservative as you can get for a 5.0.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Don't use twine or zip ties...you're just asking for trouble. Go to Auto Zone or Pep Boys and see what types of compressors they have available.

Quick Reply: Spring Compressor