5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Turbo coupe rear disc problem-HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:18 AM
red85gt
1st Gear Member

Default Turbo coupe rear disc problem-HELP!

Ok, so I bought my car with a turbo coupe rearend with disc brakes. He put a wilwood adjustable prop valve on it, but never gutted the stock valve, and also was still running the stock brake master. This setup sucked, the car essentially had no rear brakes. So I just finished swapping in a town car master cylinder, and I gutted the stock proportioning valve. All was going great, but I have a rather large problem. The Ford Motorsport proportioning valve plug p/n M 2450 A is the wrong thread size for my proportioning valve. I suspect it is for 87 and later cars only, which I think are metric, where my 85 is standard 9/16 fine thread. It went in, but didn't feel right. It's probably 14mm fine thread. After 3 nice rock solid pedal stops, it let go. So I figured I would put the stock one back in. Well the stock one fits no problem, but it has a rubber membrane in the center, and can't hold the pressure. Is there another plug available from Ford that anyone knows about for this conversion? I've tried a few local parts stores, and they don't have anything this big that's fine thread. I'm thinking of either filling the stock one with JB weld or solder to make it solid, but it would be nice if the correct part existed. If it doesn't and the JB weld or solder don't work, it looks like i'm flaring more lines to put in a later proportioning valve.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:03 PM
red85gt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo coupe rear disc problem-HELP!

Just so you guys know. Anyone who buys one of these plugs from ford that is silver, is going to be screwed. They are all the wrong size. The older brass ones are fine, but after calling about 20 motorsports dealers, nobody has them.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:07 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

What you probably need to do is at your local parts store they should have brake line adapaters, you probably just need one of those, Ive seen some that can convert metric to standard and vice versa.
-P.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:17 AM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

take a bolt, cut it to size, and grind a slot into it so you can screw it in. at least it gets the job done
Old 08-10-2006, 12:49 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

when I did my rear disk conversion, I only took out the spring and seal on the plunger thingie inside the stock proportioning valve.
put the stock cover back on and no leaks or anything.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:40 PM
red85gt
1st Gear Member

It turns out there is not a problem with metric versus standard, but like I said the plugs themselves are wrong from Ford Racing. I tried using the stock plug, but it leaked pretty badly and it sprays right on the header. So yesterday I emailed a friend of mine who works for Ford as a designer, and he suggested I contact Ford racing directly. I called them up, and they picked up on the first ring! The guy talked to was well aware of the problem with the part, and said it would be at least a few months before they had it resolved. But he said basically the plug just makes the stock proportioning valve into a distribution block. He said that they have been suggesting bypassing the stock valve entirely. So I ran the line from the front reservoir to a tee out to the two front lines, and ran the rear line directly to my wilwood valve. Brake conversion is now DONE. It stops way better than before, but still could use some larger front rotors and better pads when money (and my wife) allows.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:56 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: red85gt

It turns out there is not a problem with metric versus standard, but like I said the plugs themselves are wrong from Ford Racing. I tried using the stock plug, but it leaked pretty badly and it sprays right on the header. So yesterday I emailed a friend of mine who works for Ford as a designer, and he suggested I contact Ford racing directly. I called them up, and they picked up on the first ring! The guy talked to was well aware of the problem with the part, and said it would be at least a few months before they had it resolved. But he said basically the plug just makes the stock proportioning valve into a distribution block. He said that they have been suggesting bypassing the stock valve entirely. So I ran the line from the front reservoir to a tee out to the two front lines, and ran the rear line directly to my wilwood valve. Brake conversion is now DONE. It stops way better than before, but still could use some larger front rotors and better pads when money (and my wife) allows.
dont mean to sound like an *** but grow some ***** and when you have the money just order your parts its your money and your car you should be able to do that with out her consent you want it to be able to stop good dont you?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:46 PM
red85gt
1st Gear Member

Actually my car stops just fine, for an 85 Mustang. It does not stop anywhere near as well as the last 2 BMW's I had, and nowhere near as good as the Mini Cooper S I had a few years ago. But it's fine for now. As for the comment about my masculinity, I take it you are either not married, or have one of those marriages where you each pay your own bills, and have seperate checking accounts. Personally I prefer to let her pay all the bills, and I don't mind being occasionally told I can't do something right away to one of my toy vehicles. I always get what I want eventually. I've got 5 vehicles and I'm always doing something to one of them. Considering I've spent about 3 grand on parts in the last 6 weeks, I think it's reasonable to take a break on this one for a while.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:57 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

5 cars? damn man why so many haha i know becuase you can same reason i have 3 but im only 18 so yeah i know im young ill understand when im married but yes it will be separate accounts and stuff when its all said and done just they way i feel
Old 08-10-2006, 10:37 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i got a 3.55 turbo coupe rear for sale if anyone is intrested im in ga

Quick Reply: Turbo coupe rear disc problem-HELP!