5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stranded Again!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 08:58 PM
firefighterlira

Default Stranded Again!

I was driving for about 11 miles when my 95 mustang gt just turned off on me again, i changed spark plugs, cap and rotor and made sure i had fuel being pumped and it still did it to me. I was told it could be the distributer but i wanted confirmation before i went out and spent that money. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED Thanks
Old 08-23-2006, 09:00 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Default RE: Stranded Again!

OK more information here. Were you driving and it just died, at a light and it killed over, went to get back in the car and it wouldn't start, what exactly?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:13 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

Not saying this IS or ISN'T your problem but I remember hearing that the TFI Ignition Coil module is prone to take a dump at random on these cars. Without that, your car wont run, period. You can get an MSD high output coil for $50, takes 5 minutes to swap out, and wont have to worry about it again.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:35 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

The Coil and TFI Module are completely different. It sounds like your TFI modules is getting hot and ****ting on ya. It's a very common thing to happen. It's like what happens with the HEI modules on Chevy's.

Simple change. You just take out the 5.5 or 5mm bolts and slide it down and bolt the new one in.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:43 PM
5.0_faithful
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86HOGT

The Coil and TFI Module are completely different. It sounds like your TFI modules is getting hot and ****ting on ya. It's a very common thing to happen. It's like what happens with the HEI modules on Chevy's.

Simple change. You just take out the 5.5 or 5mm bolts and slide it down and bolt the new one in.
I agree. It's more than likely your tfi module. They are prone to giving out at any time.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:46 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

MSD TFI Coil

Just reading it like I see it... But thats the part that I'm told goes bad, but i could have been told wrong... I got one anyway.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:01 PM
5.0_faithful
2nd Gear Member

You could be right but stock coils are pretty good actually. I have an Accell ignition coil though , but only for more spark. I hear the tfi module is the weaker of the two in the ignition system. And the tfi module would most likely go bad first. But I might just be speculating.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:28 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: OJMiles

MSD TFI Coil

Just reading it like I see it... But thats the part that I'm told goes bad, but i could have been told wrong... I got one anyway.

wrong... the coils do not go bad very often.... THESE ARE USUALLY THE CULPRIT it is where the wire harness attaches to your distributor.... pita to change.... i had to grind a socket to fit in the whole so i could change one on a customers car

*edit* heres a pic

Old 08-23-2006, 10:28 PM
firefighterlira

Ill start with the tfi first and then move on from there thanks
Old 08-23-2006, 11:15 PM
firefighterlira

I cant locate the tfi , i looked around the distributer on my 95 mustang gt but i cant identify it anywhere

Quick Reply: Stranded Again!