5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

AOD tranny problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:37 PM
92DropTop

Default AOD tranny problem?

I have a 92 5.0 lx with the AOD tranny. however, the gear pattern is different from other auto trans mustangs i have seen. Mine has the following, P-R-N-OD-D-1, not the typical P-R-N-OD-2-1. Now here's the problem, when shifting from 1st into 2nd, the trans "slams" into gear, then from 2nd into 4th its all smooth, then when shifting into 5th, the car "almost" stops. Its enough to bring me out of the seat. Is this a typical problem, or do i have serious issues. The car has 89,500 miles on it.
Im getting ready to change out the oil pan gasket this weekend. Loosing about a half quart a week, and ive had it only a week now. the 2 back bolts on the pan appear to have been over torqued. What fun for me. Back to the subject at hand, should i change the tranny fluid, hoping for a "cheap" fix to the problem. Or should i prepare to go shopping for a tranny. I have called local j/y's and they want 350 for a used tranny with over 100,000 miles on them. Defeating the purpose of having a "low mile" car. Thanks for any help.

P.S. what is the difference between an AOD tranny and the AODE ??.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:54 PM
red50stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: AOD tranny problem?

I have the same shift pattern on my aod, and mine is busted too. I tried to do the fluid change hoping that it would fix it but it did nothing for me, it just gave me clean fluid in a broken tranny. I had that problem, and eventually it just stopped shifting out of 2nd, so now I'm going to rebuild it, there are kits available which increase the hp capacity. The aode is an electronically controlled version of the aod, I have one in my lightning and it seems to be a lot better. But good luck w/ that tranny.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:00 PM
92DropTop

Well then , i guess a re-build in in its future. Lucky for me its just a weekend toy. Where might i find a good re-build kit. I have combed the pages of my Summitt racing catalog, with little help. I want a decent Re-build. A tranny shop here in town wants 1200 bucks. I think i can do it myself. Maybe, or am i just wishfully dreaming. On trying to do it myself ?? Im trying for a Reliable "daily driver/weekend cruiser. But mostly weekend cruiser. Go fast parts are in its future, but i need the "problem" areas fixed first.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

just buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself..its not too hard

and that shift pattern..umm i think auto mustangs have it..cuz mine has it

and i havnt seen another w/ a different pattern
Old 09-11-2006, 09:12 PM
red50stang
2nd Gear Member

lol(lmfao) I'm sorry, I don't won't to be rude or mean or anything but unless you've rebuilt an automatic tranny before or you have someone who really knows how to do it, I wouldn't try to do it yourself. There are a few guys out there who can do it but there's a lot of little peices in an automatic tranny that aren't in a manual. I have a book on how to do it, so I'm going to give mine a try, so if you try to do it yourself let me know how it turns out. There's this rebuild kit called a monster rebuild kit and you can get it so that you have a higher hp capacity out of your tranny, google for tranny rebuild kits and you should find a bunch of them.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: red50stang

lol(lmfao) I'm sorry, I don't won't to be rude or mean or anything but unless you've rebuilt an automatic tranny before or you have someone who really knows how to do it, I wouldn't try to do it yourself. There are a few guys out there who can do it but there's a lot of little peices in an automatic tranny that aren't in a manual. I have a book on how to do it, so I'm going to give mine a try, so if you try to do it yourself let me know how it turns out. There's this rebuild kit called a monster rebuild kit and you can get it so that you have a higher hp capacity out of your tranny, google for tranny rebuild kits and you should find a bunch of them.
umm its pretty easy actually
my bro got a TCI rebuild kit
and it came w/ a vid..maybe thats why it was easy
but im 16 and dont have very much knowledge on cars
Old 09-11-2006, 10:13 PM
red50stang
2nd Gear Member

A video huh? That's pretty interesting I didn't know that I'm going to have to look into that, thanks for the info. Sorry to take over your thread, but I think we both are going to benefit from this.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

yup..it came with a vid [the TCI kit]
and it was pretty easy..the guy went step by step
telling you what tool to use, how to use it..etc
Old 09-11-2006, 10:39 PM
92DropTop

Actually , Do correct me, however I test drove another '92 drop top but in GT "skin" with "i swear" a shift pattern of P-R-N-OD-2-1. Thats why my question about this particular tranny. And like i mentioned b-4 hand, its a weekend car, winter is comming, if i can "baby" it through the fall months, then i will "rip" the tranny out and attempt it myself. If i fail, i will get one from a j/y and have someone re-build it.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:02 AM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92DropTop
Now here's the problem, when shifting from 1st into 2nd, the trans "slams" into gear, then from 2nd into 4th its all smooth, then when shifting into 5th, the car "almost" stops.
So your car skips 3rd gear and goes straight into 4th? BTW, AOD's don't have a 4th or 5th gear.

Quick Reply: AOD tranny problem?