5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Header install SUCKS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 03:07 AM
abq954

Default Header install SUCKS!

Got my upper/lower control arms and coil springs in. Cut the stock cat back out and hung the american thunders. Have the O/R x-pipe in place. Went to install the BBk ceramic shorties on the pass side and about 4 hours later I'm still 2 bolts short. The time it takes to get the last two bolts in far exceeded my patience (and the remainder of the beer) and I haven't even gotten to the drivers side yet. What do guys think about running one shortie and 1 stock? I wish it was that easy.
I have heard the equal length shorties have clearance issues on the drive side hitting the steering shaft. I have also heard shimming the motor mounts. i'm not a big fan of that idea. Any siggestions?

Doing it yourself is worth it right?

Old 09-21-2006, 03:09 AM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Header install SUCKS!

its not bad at all if you are mechanically inclined. maybe you were just having a bad day. pick up on it tomorrow. i did mine in 4 hours... both sides, that is, and installed an h pipe.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:10 AM
PX429
5th Gear Member

doing it yourself, with a friend is well worth it, as apose to a shop doing it.

as for tricks . Sorry i don't really know any
Old 09-21-2006, 03:17 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

you might have to raise the motor to one side or another....also never tighten one bolt at a time on headers..get them all started then snug the ends,and work your way to the middle then tighten inside and work your way out.

also no smog helps on install
Old 09-21-2006, 03:19 AM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

yea, it is horrible. I think about 1/2 of my header bolts on my brand new twisted wedge's are crosthreaded. What heads are they? aluminum is not as forgiving as steel so make sure the bolts are going in straight
Old 09-21-2006, 05:01 AM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

ORIGINAL: nmerrill
I think about 1/2 of my header bolts on my brand new twisted wedge's are crosthreaded.
you seriously made me cringe with that statement.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:23 AM
PX429
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tokinGLX

ORIGINAL: nmerrill
I think about 1/2 of my header bolts on my brand new twisted wedge's are crosthreaded.
you seriously made me cringe with that statement.
And you guys ask me why I stayed with Cast Iron Heads??????????
Old 09-21-2006, 05:34 AM
91stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

you might have to raise the motor to one side or another....also never tighten one bolt at a time on headers..get them all started then snug the ends,and work your way to the middle then tighten inside and work your way out.

also no smog helps on install
good idea
Old 09-21-2006, 06:02 AM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

your motor mount on that side might be bad... making you motor sag down, which in turn puts pressure on the header making tough to get the bolts in. i had the same problem with mine and had to jack the motor up a few inches to let the tension off the motor.

good luck.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:47 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: abq954

Got my upper/lower control arms and coil springs in. Cut the stock cat back out and hung the american thunders. Have the O/R x-pipe in place. Went to install the BBk ceramic shorties on the pass side and about 4 hours later I'm still 2 bolts short. The time it takes to get the last two bolts in far exceeded my patience (and the remainder of the beer) and I haven't even gotten to the drivers side yet. What do guys think about running one shortie and 1 stock? I wish it was that easy.
I have heard the equal length shorties have clearance issues on the drive side hitting the steering shaft. I have also heard shimming the motor mounts. i'm not a big fan of that idea. Any siggestions?

Doing it yourself is worth it right?

I have Mac Chrome equal length shorties on my car, no fitment problems what-so-ever. Lots of room around the column, the only clearance issue is around the strut tower, where there's about 1/4" between the header and that, other than that, had them on in roughly 2 hours. Start fresh tomorrow, we all have days like that... I know I have.. had to pull my tranny out 3 times in the past 2 months due to starter issues leading to a chewed up flywheel and blockplates cracking...., and the car hasn't been on the road in 3 years... just take it as it comes, if you're patient and take a moment to calm down, it will go a lot smoother

Quick Reply: Header install SUCKS!