MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Supercharge (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/185054-supercharge.html)

88MustangGX 09-26-2006 11:03 AM

Supercharge

i am trying to decide wether to supercharge my car or do a upper engine kit(heads, intakes, cam etc) If i were to supercharge i would only go with a 5psi system from vortech. What else would have to be done to support that? i would go more fuel no doubt but anything else? bigger radiator? electrical systems? Same go's for a upper performance kit. Which would be my best bet for more power with less stress on the engine? any advise would be helpful. thanks all!

randy78045 09-26-2006 11:27 AM

RE: Supercharge

I would go with the supercharger.... later if you have the $ you could change out the heads/cam/intake... :)

88MustangGX 09-26-2006 11:35 AM

well yea but what else has to be done to support it?

randy78045 09-26-2006 11:43 AM

Well since im not running a s/c myself, im not going to get too crazy with my opinions... but, if your engine is in good shape i think you'll be fine as is... you said you only wanted to run 5 lbs... but, wait for other opinions... :)

88MustangGX 09-26-2006 11:56 AM

ok but as far as say fuel go's, i should up that i would assume. opening up the exhaust would help im sure. would i have to worry about it overheating? would a bigger radiator be of some help?

randy78045 09-26-2006 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: 88MustangGX

ok but as far as say fuel go's, i should up that i would assume. opening up the exhaust would help im sure. would i have to worry about it overheating? would a bigger radiator be of some help?
exhaust is a winner in any case... not sure about the rest... [:-]

samseed101 09-26-2006 12:04 PM

You should have absolutely no problems running 5 PSI on a stock engine. The superhcarger ktis now come with everything you need to install them on a stock engine. I'm running 10 PSI with no problems myself, but I have a few minor mods (nothing too major.) But in your situation, you should be able to get away with stock pumps and injectors if you wanted to run 5 PSI and the FMU. Personally, I would just get better injectors and fuel pump, but that would be more for the future than for now (because you KNOW you're gonna wanna add more in the future.)

As far as overheating, that's not going to be an issue. And with only 5 PSI an intercooler isn't necessary either. It definately won't hurt to open up the exhaust, but again it isn't necessary at 5 PSI.

samseed101 09-26-2006 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: randy78045

ORIGINAL: 88MustangGX

exhaust is a winner in any case... not sure about the rest... [:-]
Yeah, it's one of those things you're going to want to do anyway someday. it isn't necessary but what's the point of having a mustang without decent exhaust!? :)

88MustangGX 09-26-2006 12:16 PM

ok great. thanks alot guys! my mind is made up. i'm sure i can get a smaller pulley if needed. i think i will do the trick flow street heat intake setup though. put more flow in... and more power of course...:eek:

7upedition 09-26-2006 12:25 PM

i would recomend doing a top end kit first to support a s/c while your in there upgrade your injectors, and get a new fuel pump(walboro 155)/adjustable fuel regulator(30-70psi),MAF, TB, and then you have a platform for a s/c to really excel at... then you can run 12psi of boost down the road.... with an s or t trim and the right pulley. jmo but that's be the road i'd take:) good luck either way