5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:47 AM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

Default need some help

i don't know much about body work but i was just wondering about this. how can you fix this? is it hard? whats it called? etc...i am talking about the thing on the drivers door, not sure what its called. any help is apprechiated, thanks guys!
Old 10-18-2006, 04:02 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: need some help

Its just molding. I'm pretty sure it just sticks on there, but i wouldnt ahve the slightest clue of where to get it other than the junk yard. Sorry.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:00 PM
89gtsleeper
2nd Gear Member

Ask around on mustang forums... A rally common thing for fox owners to do is change out betwen lx and GT. they use different moldings. So try to find someone that5 converted a GT to an LX. Or again, look in the junkyard. It doesn't even have any screws or anything... it just uses a special putty and adheres directly to the door. If you have to pull one yourself, it will be easier if you get it hot first, then run a putty knife behhind it and gently pull. The entire thing should come right off. Before you install it on your car, I would make sure that your door is hung right, and that your hinges aren't worn out. IF the furthest rear portion of the door sags a little bit this is likely the case. you can tell by opening the door, putting your hand under it at the very rear of the door and lifting up and down. IF the door has movement those pieces are worn. Fix those first, (around 20 bucks), then once your door is very straight, install the molding so it fits evenly with the molding an the fnder and rear-quarter. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:09 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

You can get the molding from almost any mustang resoration site/company. To take a molding OFF, I used a blowdryer to heat it up and cut it off with a putty knife. Its just double sidded sticky tape... really good sticky tape lol Thats all you need to put it back on too. Theres nothing special to it at all, no screws, brackets, etc. Just double sided tape. There is a recommended tape to use but I forgot the exact name... but anyway, no it will not be hard to replace.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:53 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

The best tape to use is the 3M trim adhesive tape, it comes in various widths, I think you would use two 3/4" strips on that piece but its been a while. I would also be worried about those flat tires...
Old 10-18-2006, 01:00 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

www.50resto.com