5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Another F*n problem,, Headers/Plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 11:40 AM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

Default Another F*n problem,, Headers/Plug wires

Okay, here goes another freaking problem,

so i have just put in this new 347 last month and have been trying to get everything lined out on it have about 300-400 miles on it now and everythign runs pretty good, had problems with the PCV and crankcase pressure-solved, old crappy heat shrinked fuel lines came apart on me-fixed, and i have a problem with burning boots off of plug wires,

i noticed that i had a boot burning problem just on #6 cylinder, this is because the way the header tube is bent from the head to the collector, i have hooker super comp unequal shorties 1 5/8" to 3" collectors, and running RHS 200s, hell when you put in the plug you cant even get a straight extension on it to tighten it up you have to use a wobble extension, im not for sure if this is just a header issue like they didnt manufacture it right but i have even swapped heads on the drivers side due ot imperfection in casting and it was the same way, so anyway i had put on the boot protectors on them and everythign was great, until i decided to pull the plugs on saturday, looked at that boot protector and wouldnt ya know burnt through the protector and ate the boot on my new FRPP 9mm wires,

so i go get some header wrap yesterday and wrap that #6 header tube, put on an old MSD plug wire start the car, header wrap gets usual "burn in" well i watched the new boot burn, and then i shut the car down and teh #7 FRPP boot burst like it had too much heat going to it too,,

im not for sure if this is a problem with the header not being manufactured right or something, anyone else know anything about this?
Old 10-19-2006, 12:04 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Another F*n problem,, Headers/Plug wires

jsut got off the phone with the super Hooker guy, he was tellin me that yeah the plugs are going to be close to the header but a MSD boot is too big and will not work with the headers, told him i trid MSD, FRPP, and crappy stock 90deg boots and nothing works right, the stock 90 deg did the best so far and boots are a lil smaller, he said that they recommend running Taylor plug wire b/c they have skinny boots and will hold up, told him if i get them and they burn im going to kick his a$$, anyone run plug boots close to the headers that can help??????
Old 10-19-2006, 12:08 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I would say just suck it up and buy a good set of Taylors.... and HOPE that they work correctly. They should tell you this kind of stuff when you are buying their product so you didnt have to waste $100 dollars on wires.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:15 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Taylor is a good plug wire. I would also get some of them plug covers there like a cloth material that resist heat very good. I've seen them at Advance Auto parts buy me.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:43 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

i have bought the boot protector slide one fiberglass stuff, i think that i am running way lean for that #7 to blow up like it did last night, going to get some taylors and check A/F ratio
Old 10-19-2006, 12:45 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

i'm not sure who makes them but i saw them on tv and they are these ceramic plug wire boot ends that you can pop on over the plug wire boots the have a stainless steel cover with ceramic on the inside. sorry i couldnt be more help.

http://www.jacobselectronics.com/Cat...spx?BrandID=13 Jacobs electronics also makes universal ceramic plug wire ends that you could put on that might work.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:17 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

those things look nice, 100-180$ though for some plug wires kinda sucks, going to check A/F ratio and see what the heck is going on
Old 10-19-2006, 01:29 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

i think you can just buy the ceramic plug wire ends and run themon whatever wires you have. your right that they aren't cheap but i bet they would work.

Ceramic Plug Ends

i would check everything else before see if you can fix it.. but if everything else checks out good then i bet these ends would work perfict and then you wont ever have to worry about them burning up again i bet. JMO though.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:18 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

yeah might would work but expensive, goign to get a set of taylors at lunch, try them out tonight, need to get to the dyno and see what A/F ratio im running, then tune, but cant do much without wires and havent even got motor broke in yet, so dyno would only be good for A/F and not true tests
Old 10-19-2006, 08:01 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

I have FFRP with kevlare heat boot from summit they protect up to 1200 degrees and took the car out for a good long drive a couple of time and there is no sign of buring on the boots

Quick Reply: Another F*n problem,, Headers/Plug wires