5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Clutch squeek?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 08:57 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Default Clutch squeek?

When I swapped over to a T5 in late August, I put on a brand new clutch/pilot bearing/throw out bearing in. Well recently (like the past 2 days) I am hearing a squeeking at idle with the clutch out. Like if it idles in neutral i can hear a pretty loud and annoying squeek. BUT, if i just touch the clutch pedal at all, it goes away. I have to put a hair of tension on, but jus tthe weight of my foot. What could be causing this? Throwout bearing? The sound is coming from under the car, by the trans.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:33 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch squeek?

I had the same exact problem with my car. I had it for a year and had no idea of the clutches age. I found my throwout bearing in pieces when I took my trans out. All the ***** fell out of the bearing.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:00 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Do you think I didnt lube it up good enough? I coated that sucker with white lithium grease **** (out of a tube not spray can). Any other opinions?
Old 11-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

i have the same problem, took it to many shops. They said if it happens with the clutch fully out then its your throwout bearing. If your foot is on it and it stops, its not your throwout bearing. it could be something in your firewall or a pulley.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:41 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

So I need to look for the cable rubbing something then? Sounds a little odd, considering touchin the clutch pedal fixes it. I guess I can live with it for now. Dont have time to put it on a lift at work, getting surgery tomorrow [:'(]
Old 11-06-2006, 12:23 AM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

my car does that sometimes too AHHH its so annoying!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:29 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

its your throwout bearing. my car is doing the exact same thing. when you put a slight amount of pressure on the clutch pedal you press the bearing back together and it makes a constant contact which will make the whole thing turn. however, your bearing is more than likely making a loose contact to your pressure plate and causeing a metal on metal squeak
Old 11-06-2006, 01:26 AM
MADMAC
2nd Gear Member

I have replaced two of them this year. Just cheap junk. I am researching to find good quality one. I might even design and make one of my own.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:15 AM
sc94gt
3rd Gear Member

Your cable was most likely adjusted with too much tension and it is riding the release bearing.
After you install a new bearing make sure there is some play in the pedal.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:15 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I've got an adjustable cable to play around with, along with an Anderson racing quadrant. Would I just loosen those nuts to let some tension off?

Quick Reply: Clutch squeek?