5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Error Codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

Default Error Codes

ok, heres the codes i got:

10 - Cylinder #1 has a problem
40 - Cylinder #4 has a problem
33 - EGR valve is not opening properly(i know whats causing that and thats not the issue)
44 - Thermactor air system fault
64 - ACT (IAT)\vane air temperature sensor falt or circuit grounded
66 - VAF/mass air flow sensor fault, below minimum voltage
67 - Neutral Pressure Switch (NPS) circuit failure, circuit open (3.0L MAF-SFI, 3.8L SFI)
94 - Air diverter solenoid circuit fault

alrighty i have no clue what half that is, i dont know why my cylinders would have a problem. i know why the egr is giving me the error, thats getting fixed when i get a chip burned to tell my computer its perminately off.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:23 PM
reduceallpain
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Error Codes

how did u get the codes???? i have to do it but i dont know how....
Old 11-08-2006, 01:25 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

heres what u do... unhook the battery for 20 mins, run the car till it reaches full temp and re-scan for codes

and to the guy above.. get a code scanner at wal-mart for like $40

u plug it into the ECC tester under the hood on the driver side near the firewall.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:48 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

there is a link in the tech articles that explains how to test for codes on an OBDI without buying a tester, you use a jumper wire and led, but anyways i'd also suggest trying to reset the comp by unhooking the battery, I'm assuming your EGR delete? a compression test may tell whats up with 1 and 4, have you looked at the plugs? any detonation? are the plugs lean or rich? whens the last time the car had a tuneup? is the MAF cal'd to your injectors? stock FI size is 19lbs, sampling tube must match. try cleaning the MAF/TB/IAC. AS for neutral pressure switch failure, try starting your car in gear(with foot on brake), this is a safety switch so automatics dont start up and go (car must be in park or neutral to start), 5 spds have a clutch sensor to ensure clutch is fully depressed to start. the EGR delete maybe mesing with the intake air circuit becuase is hasn't been tuned out of the comp yet... good luck hope i was some help
Old 11-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

lets see, i got rid of the egr, thats not the issue its been like that. 1 & 4 are running fine to my knowledge, i know im running rich atm, tuneup was done less then 2 months/3,000 miles ago. checked and still all look good, maf = brand new, its tuned for 19# & cai, tb and iac are all brand new. im not worried about the neutral thing.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:09 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

honestly to me it sounds like you have a bunch of bad grounds. all those sensor circuits you show are wide open, nothing flowing through. i'd say bad/dirty grounds or PCM. Keep in mind that some codes could only be there because of another existing problem. don't assume that everything you listed is bad, more than likely its only 1 or 2 of them.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:23 PM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

EEC-IV code Test Type Meaning Problem
11 Both System Pass Nothing is wrong with the electronic system. If there is a problem, chances are it's mechanical.
12 KOER System cannot raise engine speed Check the IAC valve. It may be stuck or sticking.
13 KOER Idle RPM out of specification Idle is either too low or too high.
14 KOER Intermittent loss of PIP signal PIP or ignition module may be malfunctioning.
15 KOER Failure in ECA assembly There is a problem with the Keep Alive Memory. Basically, you need a new ECA.
16 or 17 KOER RPM too low to run EGO test The RPM is low causing the EGO sensor to sense rich. It can also be caused by an adjustable fuel pressure regulator set too high. If this is the case, reduce fuel pressure.
18 Both Loss of TACH signal to ECA Check the SPOUT connector.
19 KOEO Failure in ECA assembly There is a problem with the internal voltage regulator. Basically, you need a new ECA.
21 Both ECT sensor out of range Engine coolant wasn't brought up to normal operating temperature or ECT sensor is bad.
22 KOEO MAP or BP sensor out of range MAP or BP sensor is bad.
KOER MAP or BP sensor out of range MAP/BP sensor is bad, or there is a vacuum leak.
23 Both TP sensor out of range TPS is either missadjusted or bad.
24 Both ACT or VAT sensor out of range ACT or VAT sensor is bad, or really dirty.
26 Both MAF or VAF sensor out of range MAF/VAF sensor is bad, really dirty, or not calibrated correctly (MAF).
27 Both VSS signal voltage is too low VSS is bad.
28 Both VAT sensor out of range VAT sensor is bad, or really dirty.
29 Both VSS signal voltage is too low VSS is bad.
31 or 32 Both EVP sensor out of range EGR is sticking or EVP is bad.
33 KOER EVP sensor indicates EGR is not opening properly EGR is bad, EVP is bad, and/or there is a vacuum leak.
34 or 35 Both EVP sensor out of range EGR is sticking or EVP is bad.
41 KOEO Right EGO failure EGO is bad, not connected, or missing.
KOER EGO indicates right bank lean EGO is going bad, missing, or fuel pressure regulator is set too low.
42 KOER EGO indicates right bank rich EGO is going bad, fuel pressure regulator is set too high, or exhaust leak.
44 KOER Right Thermactor Air System problem Right Thermactor Air Control system switch is bad.
45 KOER Thermactor air flow is always upstream Related Thermactor switch is bad or vacuum leak in related vacuum lines.
46 KOER Thermactor Air System unable to bypass air Related Thermactor switch is bad or there is a vacuum leak in the line going to the valve closest from the smog pumps air output.
51 KOEO ECT sensor out of range ECT sensor is bad.
53 KOEO TP sensor out of range TP sensor is stuck/sticking or just plain bad. It would be a good idea to get a replacement.
54 KOEO ACT sensor out of range ACT sensor is really dirty or bad.
56 KOEO MAF sensor out of range MAF sensor is bad, really dirty, or not calibrated correctly. This code can also come up with a blow-through forced induction system (like Prochargers). Pro-M mass-airs will work with blow-though systems.
61 KOEO ECT sensor is out of range ECT sensor is bad or wire is grounded.
63 KOEO TP sensor out of range TP sensor is bad.
64 KOEO ACT sensor out of range (signal voltage too low) ACT sensor is bad or wiring is grounded.
66 Both MAF sensor out of range (signal voltage too low) MAF sensor is bad or not calibrated correctly.
67 KOEO NDS circuit open NDS is bad or wires are bad.
74 KOER BOO switch not detected Brake was not depressed when suppose to or BOO is bad.
75 KOER BOO switch always closed circuit BOO is stuck/sticking or is bad.
77 KOER Operator error Operator didn't execute WOT when told to during self test.
79 KOEO A/C on during self test. Turn A/C off for self test.
81 KOEO TAD circuit failure TAD is bad or circuit is bad.
82 KOEO TAB circuit failure TAB is bad or circuit is bad.
84 KOEO EGR vacuum solenoid circuit failure EGR vacuum solenoid is bad or circuit is bad.
85 KOEO CANP solenoid circuit failure CANP solenoid is bad or circuit is bad.
87 KOEO Fuel pump relay circuit failure Bad fuel pump relay or FP circuit is bad.
91 KOER EGO indicates left bank lean EGO is going bad, fuel pressure regulator is set too low, or bad left bank injector(s).
92 KOER EGO indicates right bank lean EGO is going bad, fuel pressure regulator is set too low, or bad right bank injector(s).
94 KOER Thermactor Air System problem on right bank Air passages for Thermactor Air System on the right side is clogged or right EGO is going bad.
95 KOEO FPM signal indicates circuit failure FPM senses fuel pump voltage is out of range.
96 KOEO Fuel pump secondary circuit failure FP secondary circuit is bad or fuel pump relay is bad.
98 KOER ECA system problem; operating in FMEM This is the dreaded "limp-mode". Extensive problems are what normally trip this code. Additional codes will be present with this code.

Glossary:
ACT Air Charge Temperature sensor
BOO Brake On/Off switch
BP Barometric Pressure sensor
CANP CANister Purge solenoid
ECA Engine Control Assembly - also known as an ECM (Engine Control Management)
ECT Engine Coolant Temperature sensor
EEC-IV Electronic Engine Control system, version 4
EGO Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor - also known as an O2 sensor
EGR Exhaust Gas Recirculation
EVP EGR Valve Position sensor
FMEM Failure Management and Effects Mode
FP Fuel Pump relay
FPM Fuel Pump Monitor
IAC Idle Air Control
MAF Mass Air Flow sensor
MAP Manifold Air Pressure sensor
NDS Neutral Drive Switch - also known as a Neutral Safety Switch
PIP Profile Ignition Pick-up
SPOUT SPark OUTput
TAB Thermactor Air Bypass solenoid
TAD Thermactor Air Diverter solenoid
TP Throttle Position sensor - also known as TPS
VAF Vain Air Flow sensor
VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor
Old 11-09-2006, 12:05 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

yeah for sure check your grounds out, check the ground from your block to the firewall, and add another ground from your head to your sway bar mount, maybe that granatelli MAF isnt calibrated right or is a POS, check your grounds first then pull codes again, you might need to pull your connections apart and clean them with electric parts cleaner and add some dielectric grease and put em back together
Old 11-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93 LX FiveO

heres what u do... unhook the battery for 20 mins, run the car till it reaches full temp and re-scan for codes

and to the guy above.. get a code scanner at wal-mart for like $40

u plug it into the ECC tester under the hood on the driver side near the firewall.
Can someone post a link of the scanner? I am interested in getting one and want to make sure I buy the right thing.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

well, all those sensors its erroring are brand new, so im not worried about them. i know their working properly, i just did a intake swap and i changed all the sensor that went in the lower intake manifold and that black rail id ont know what its called. but im not worried about that. and hawk, just goto oreilys and ask for the obd1 scanner, its $39+ tax. their version is better then autozones.

Quick Reply: Error Codes